Glass Thickness 3/4" 7/8" or 1"

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
JeffC

Glass Thickness 3/4" 7/8" or 1"

#1 Post by JeffC »

I'm ready to decide between the Alside Sheffield and Simonton 5500 double hung.
The Simonton installer has been installing Simonton for years and insists on Double Strength Glass, low e, argon, super spacer, and 1" glass for $450.00 per window under 100 in.

I had really only considered a package including low e and argon with a possible upgrade to super spacer.

I am wondering what need there is for the double strength glass and 1" thick glass in Maryland and also how much more these upgrades typically cost per unit?

Should I try to save money by eliminating double strength and going down to 7/8 " or 3/4" or would the savings be nominal over 20 units????

Thanks!

Randy

#2 Post by Randy »

With Simonton, upgrading to Super Spacer automatically includes double strength glass and a 1" IG - assuming you are considering either the 5500 or 9800 models. I think all of the pros here would agree that upgrading is a good decision.

JeffC

#3 Post by JeffC »

Thanks Randy;
From the Simonton catalog it looked like Double Strength Glass, Super Spacer, and 1" Glass were all separate options.
The Super Spacer is my most likely upgrade from my research here, so if the Double Strength and 1" glass come with the Super Spacer option my decision is easy.

How's my quote of $450.00 per window with these options on the 5500?
Thanks!

Randy

#4 Post by Randy »

That is very difficult to determine without seeing the installation, but it doesn't sound unreasonable. There is a pro here named Bill, who is the resident Simonton expert. He also lives up in your part of the country. Maybe he'll jump in here and offer an opinion.

Guy

#5 Post by Guy »

For the price your paying per window it's an easy decision. The double strength glass option with super spacer is a great deal. The thicker insulated glass unit (IGU) offers you better sound performance. Then you won't here the neighbor kids screaming and yelling while you try to sleep. The double strength gives you durability from easy cracking or breakage. If your mower or weed whacker pitches up a tiny rock you'll have a better chance of it skipping off the glass and not breaking. Also if you have any children it's an added bounce from any flying Elmo's or whiffle balls. Single strength glass seems to break if you look at it wrong.

You have a good price if it's a standard application. If Bill strolls through here as Randy noted, I'm sure he'd agree that the double strength IGU is the way to go.

JeffC

5500 vs 9800

#6 Post by JeffC »

I read an archive post by Bill whereby he recommended going with the 9800 if considering the 5500 with options such as 1" glass, Super Spacer, Argon, Low E, and Double Strength Glass because the 9800 Super Sensor Plus Glass package already has all these options standard with the benefit of a 9800 frame and weather stripping.

Bill advised that adding onto a 5500 would likely drive up the price on the unit to the point that it equals the 9800 Super Sensor Plus package.

It would seem more reasonable that the loaded 5500 unit would match the base 9800 (Sensor Glass) package, but Bill wrote that the loaded 5500 will match the 9800 top of the line package (Super Sensor Plus).

Does this make sense?????

Also, is the 9800 a good residential unit or is it meant for industrial use and do I lose glass space??

Thanks!

Bill

#7 Post by Bill »

Jeff:

Your price looks OK to me.

My post you are referring to applies only to the Super Sensor Plus Glass package that is a laminate glass package. When we are considering laminate glass w/ Super Spacer in the 5500 price structure the laminate glass is priced based on the sq ft size of the window. In the 9800 price structure you pay a flat rate for the Super Sensor Plus glass package no matter the size of the window, so this is why the 5500 will in most cases cost as much as the 9800.

I think you are considering the 1” double strength Super Spacer option in the 5500 and this option in both the 5500 and 9800 is a flat rate not based on size so you will pay less for the 5500 compared to the 9800 with Sensor Glass

The 9800 is a residential window and the glass loss will be the same for both windows.

Bill

JeffC

#8 Post by JeffC »

Thanks Bill;
I am not considering laminated glass, just the double strength, so that clears up my misinterpretation that the Super Sensor Plus was the same price.

I AM surprised that the upgraded 5500 (Super Spacer, 1" Double Strength Glass) is not close to the 9800 Sensor Glass package.

I guess I may eat those words today when the installer calls back with prices.

I forgot to mention that the $450.00 per 5500 unit includes wrapping each window.

Marlene

Re: Glass Thickness 3/4" 7/8" or 1"

#9 Post by Marlene »

I live in the Metro DC area and I am also considering the Simonton 5500 windows with the Super Spacer upgrade. My problem is that I am having a hard time locating sufficient MD licensed Simonton Dealers to compare prices. I am also considering the Gorell 5300 window as the dealer who sells and installs them came highly recommended! Thanks, Marlene

JeffC

#10 Post by JeffC »

I decided to go with the Simonton 5500 and should have a contract to sign in the mail today.

The 9800 package was not equal to the 5500 with all the upcharges and, to me, was not worth an extra $40 to $60 each.

In the end it came down bewteen Alside Sheffield or the Simonton 5500.

I just feel more comfortable with the Simonton warranty, reputation, the Super Spacer, and the 1" double strength glass.

My only loose end to tie up is whether there is a charge for beveled grids from Simonton over the standard grids. I don't seem to remember any extra charge for beveled grids with Champion, Alside, or Marvin.

Anyone know if Simonton charges more for beveled??

Windows on Washington

#11 Post by Windows on Washington »

Jeff,

don't feel more comfortable because of the warranty, DS glass, or super spacer...all are available in the Sheffield window as well and the warranties are very comparable.

The 5500 has a better sill design and is aesthetically more pleasing. For close to the same money, I would have opted for the 9800. There is very little difference in list prices and contoured grids are slightly more expensive.

Good luck.

JeffC

#12 Post by JeffC »

WoW;
Thanks for the mention of the Sheffield. I actually had a verbal contract with an installer that almost exclusively installs Alside. Besides the fact that he really tried to get me to go for the Excalibur, I told him he had my business for 20 Sheffields......have heard nothing but crickets for two weeks and no bid/contract in the mail.

My Simonton installer does so much 5500 volume it seems he has decent wiggle room on the 5500 but no juice on getting similar margins on the 9800 so I am not considering the upcharge of approx $60.00 x 20 windows. Plus he and the distributor insisted the difference is marginal to "none".....while I do not agree with this assessment I do know that the cost does not fit in my budget.
JC

av

#13 Post by av »

Any comments on the glass unit being 3/4" versus 7/8" versus 1" thick?

Since glass thickness is the same, only the gap is increasing.

FenEx

#14 Post by FenEx »

Many comments are available through the search option.

Windows on Washington

#15 Post by Windows on Washington »

av wrote:Any comments on the glass unit being 3/4" versus 7/8" versus 1" thick?

Since glass thickness is the same, only the gap is increasing.
Makes very little difference in energy efficiency once you are in that range. Smaller air spaces, like those in triple pane windows, do better with Krypton filling as opposed to argon.