Simonton vs Andersen vs Pella

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
BobA

Simonton vs Andersen vs Pella

#1 Post by BobA »

We are looking at Simonton, Andersen and Pella alum clad windows. I understand that Simonton is a very good vinyl replacement, and have read lots of stuff about problems with Pella and water/wood rot and Andersen's high price and air leakage in their replacements. What should I look at to sway my decision??? House is in central Virginia, brick and has a cream colored trim. One thing that I like about Pella is the aluminum can match the trim very closely. Andersen is also very close. Simonton is not as close a match. We are looking at 23 windows with quotes from $16 to 23K for the replacements. Thanks in advance.... 8)

BobA

Re: Simonton vs Andersen vs Pella

#2 Post by BobA »

OK, no one has posted to my request for info to help decide, however, the Andersen dealer saw my post and mentioned it to me. Soooooo, I have eliminated Pella and my wife is leaning toward Andersen. Anyone have any suggestions to help us decide between Andersen and Simonton 9800???? The deals are about $3500 apart and the Simonton dealer will wrap all the doors included in the price. Andersen is the higher at this point. Thanks in advance. Also, the Andersen dealer is really nice and easy to work with. Best, Bob :?

Windows on Washington

#3 Post by Windows on Washington »

You are really comparing apples to oranges. If you are talking about the RBA window, you are talking about a wood hybrid window and comparing it to a vinyl window.

Ask your two sales people for the following:

U-Factor (whole unit)
Air infiltration
Warranty (glass and frame)

Start with that information and work your way down.

What is important to you? Do you want a Fibrex window or a vinyl? Do you want a "wood" interior or is white vinyl okay? Do you need to paint the interior?

What are the prices of each quote? Is the price delta worth the investment based on what you want the window to look or do?

BobA

#4 Post by BobA »

Thanks for the help WoW,
I'll need to dig out the U-factor for each of the windows. I remember hearing it. I addressed the air infiltration with the Andersen dealer, and was basically told that if properly installed, there should not be any infiltration. Much the same answer from the Simonton folks. I still have to review the warranty info again, but if I remember correctly, the Simonton had a better warranty than Andersen. We have ruled out the Pella window and the attendant questions of wood and painting the interior. They look good, but have decided not to pursue them. We are not wedded to Fibrex or Vinyl, but color is going to be important to my wife. She has seen a friend's house with the Simonton window, and does not like the white, even though only a small amount of white will show after the brick molding is covered. The Andersen window matches out outside trim very well, and looks acceptable on the interior. Price is an issue, Simonton 9800 for $625 vs $950 or so for Andersen. The total quote diff is about $4000 approximately $19k vs $23k. That includes a door and wrapping the remaining door openings. We plan on going one afternoon next week to look at the Andersen window together, and will make the final decision then. Thanks for the very helpful points. I don't mind spending the money, but want to make the decision only once. With the Pella window out, it seems to be a more apples vs apples choice.....At least 1/3 of the decision was made! Best, Bob :)

Windows on Washington wrote:You are really comparing apples to oranges. If you are talking about the RBA window, you are talking about a wood hybrid window and comparing it to a vinyl window.

Ask your two sales people for the following:

U-Factor (whole unit)
Air infiltration
Warranty (glass and frame)

Start with that information and work your way down.

What is important to you? Do you want a Fibrex window or a vinyl? Do you want a "wood" interior or is white vinyl okay? Do you need to paint the interior?

What are the prices of each quote? Is the price delta worth the investment based on what you want the window to look or do?

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

What color is the existing trim work on the home?

There are several options for vinyl windows to have specialty colors other than white so don't marry yourself to one window over another because of color choice.

If they are telling you there will be no air infiltration after installation, they don't have a clue what they are talking about.

Simonton warranty is going to be better than the Andersen.

Guy

#6 Post by Guy »

One thing sales staff forget to mention during a sale is the fact that pocket replacement windows won't solve air infiltration unless the existing frame is re-insulated and sealed. If the old window is leaking out around the frame, the insert won't prevent the old window from leaking. If your keeping the old frames, then make sure they're being re-insulated and sealed.

As for the Pella window having issues, it's all in the past. We've installed a lot of Pella products over the past few years. I can tell you first hand they've solved their issues. Pella's new Designer Series window is fabulous, I'd use it in my own home with out hesitation. Just for the record, I'm not a Pella distributor or retailer. My opinion is only based off what I see in the field daily.

BobA

#7 Post by BobA »

Thanks to all for the info. Our house trim is cream colored aluminum and have just installed new flip gutters that match the trim perfectly. My wife did not like the white of the vinyl on the outside, so the Simonton was eliminated. We eliminated Pella, because, as much as I like their window, I really did not want to continue to have to paint the inside wood frame. They really did look great though. The default decision was Andersen, mainly due to the great color match on the exterior. We have a very decent dealer, good reputation and good to work with, and even the Simonton dealer complimented them when informed of our decision. We are comfortable that even though the warranty is not as good with Andersen vs Simonton, that we will still be pleased with the windows. Even the Simonton dealer said as much. Proof will be in the installation and how they perform. I hope to return to the forum in a couple of years and report on our experience at that point, good or bad. Often, only the bad is aired on the internet, and I plan on being fair in my assessment. Best, Bob
Guy wrote:One thing sales staff forget to mention during a sale is the fact that pocket replacement windows won't solve air infiltration unless the existing frame is re-insulated and sealed. If the old window is leaking out around the frame, the insert won't prevent the old window from leaking. If your keeping the old frames, then make sure they're being re-insulated and sealed.

As for the Pella window having issues, it's all in the past. We've installed a lot of Pella products over the past few years. I can tell you first hand they've solved their issues. Pella's new Designer Series window is fabulous, I'd use it in my own home with out hesitation. Just for the record, I'm not a Pella distributor or retailer. My opinion is only based off what I see in the field daily.