wenco windows

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
weeds

wenco windows

#1 Post by weeds »

We built our house 17 years ago using wenco windows. They are double hung (floor to ceiling) and the top window is not staying snug in place...it is actually coming down from the top about 1/2 inch...and I can feel air and actually see daylight. The lock closure is not holding it in place. Some are not allowing the lock to hold them in place at all. I had to get a stick to hold the upper window in place and then lock them together. Can I buy sturdier locks....or adjust the windows somehow to be tighter?

TheWindowNerd

Re: wenco windows

#2 Post by TheWindowNerd »

You could screw the upper sash in place.

tru_blue

#3 Post by tru_blue »

Wenco is (or was) what is now known as Jeld-Wen windows. Jeld-Wen has many sub-brands; since I haven't seen Wenco in years I'm not sure if they still make the Wenco sub-brand anymore. Anyway, you could contact them for more info. To more directly answer your question, yes you can buy better double hung sash locks that would align and keep the sashes tight together (my favorite ones are made by Truth Hardware). You could also check with Jeld-Wen/Wenco to possibly purchase new sash balances (the side pieces that are supposed to hold up the sashes) to see if that would work.

JScott

#4 Post by JScott »

If you have the tilt version then tilt the sashes and see if the clutch has an adjustment screw to adjust the amount of friction. The clutch is the small plastic piece at the end of the balance spring in which the sash tilt pins should be in. Turn the screw clockwise to engage more friction. :mrgreen: