Don Young vs Silverline by Andersen

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
elp0901

Don Young vs Silverline by Andersen

#1 Post by elp0901 »

Hi everyone,

We are looking at replacing our windows with either Don Young on Silverline windows. Anyone with anything to say about these two please chime in. The cost of the window plus installation between these two seems to be comparable.

Also I am sure that there is allot of archived information regarding these two windows but I cant find how to search for anything (yes I read the FAQs but the search option is not there)?

Thanks!

Erin

Randy

Re: Don Young vs Silverline by Andersen

#2 Post by Randy »

The Don Young windows are significantly better IMO. Silverline windows are low-end and should be avoided. Whoever is bidding them against the Don Young is inflating the price, as the DY windows should be more expensive.

If you are putting these windows into a home that you intend to occupy for some time, and the budget allows, you might consider upgrading the glass to Cardinal's Low-E366 for an additional $35.00 per window (approximate).

elp0901

#3 Post by elp0901 »

Hi Randy,

Thank you for the information. I think the Don Young window guy is seems really reasonable on his installation charges and the instillation for the for the silverline seem inflated. So total cost comes out about the same.

Do you by chance no of anyone in the Austin, TX that sells Cardinal's Low-E366? I have been shoping for windows for awhile but havent heard of this brand?

Thanks,
Erin

Randy

#4 Post by Randy »

I do not, however if you'll call the local Don Young office, they can surely direct you to a couple of local contractors. Anyone who offers the Don Young product line can get the 366 glass, they just have to specify it when they order the windows.

Have you requested a quote through this site yet? It is often a good source of contractors as well.

elp0901

#5 Post by elp0901 »

Hi Randy,

Ahh.. I was thinking Cardinal was a different window manufacture. I got it now. I will inquire about getting Don Young with the 366 glass (thanks for the tip).

Also I was curious if you can say off hand why Don Young is a better window? I kinda suspected this but can put my finger on why as I have seen so many windows they all start to look the same.

I really appreciate the info.

Erin

Randy

#6 Post by Randy »

Thicker vinyl extrusions
Double strength glass is standard
Aluminum reinforcement is standard
Tighter tolerances for sash to frame fitting
Local company with great customer service

mysal

#7 Post by mysal »

SilverLine makes 5 levels of windows. Unless you know which series windows are being compared you cannot say one manufacturer is better than the other. If you purchased a price series and someone else paid more for their window they probably got a higher series. One series of SilverLine's window was the consumer digest best buy in 2008.

david62

#8 Post by david62 »

I don't care which Silverline window someone looks at;they should ALL be avoided at all costs. same goes for Pella Vinyl windows. silverline is the bottom of the barrel;Pella right there with it.

toddinmn

#9 Post by toddinmn »

How thick are the extrusions on the Don Young window? Silverline 9500 series comes standard with D.S glass.

david62

#10 Post by david62 »

silverline could be qualdruple strength glass and vinyl a mile thick;i'd still stand clear. why are you even wasting your time trying to convince yourself silverline is a good product? move on to something made with quality.

toddinmn

#11 Post by toddinmn »

Do you know how thick the extrusions are or not, or are you just making up a bunch of B.S.. I wasn't saying Silverline was a good or bad product I was just curious if you knew what you were talking about or like making your own facts.

toddinmn

#12 Post by toddinmn »

Silverline 9500's are 0.85 in frame and 0.75 in sash,the 8500's are 0.75 and 0.75. The air in filtration #'s on the Don Young 5400 series is 0.14 and the Silverline's #'s are 0.13, neither are very stellar.Silverline's structual rating up to 44x62 is H-R 45 and Don young's is H-R 30.How did you figure out the tighter sash to frame tolerances?

david62

#13 Post by david62 »

wow Todd, you certainly know quite a bit about sub prime windows such as silverline ! when you insualte a silverline window do you just use scotch tape or something better?

toddinmn

#14 Post by toddinmn »

I usually research any window I install.Insulate with scotch tape? As many would would say, I would rather have a lower grade window installed properly then a high end window installed poorly.I am not trying to defend Silverline or putting down DYC windows, I was just trying to state the facts to clarify instead of throwing out information with no means of factual base.

proteus

Don Young vs Simonton 5500

#15 Post by proteus »

The Don Young windows are showing better std features and other features that are options on Simonton /Prism 5500 windows and lower U-Values also :

Don Young :
  • Sunshield™ DOUBLE HUNG SYSTEM
  • Guardian climaguard 55/27 or 63/31 energy star triple layer low e glass, equiv or better than 366
  • other guardian glass available for different climates
  • 3/4 inch dura lite spacer lower u value than intercept spacer
  • opt: Cardinal XL stainless steel .750 dual groove spacer, simlilar to superspacer
  • stainless screw fasteners
  • lower u values 21 to 23 without grids full view
  • meeting rail reinforcement std/ opt on simonton 5500
  • adobe color simular to driftwood
  • stainless coil lift mechanism
Better price point and built in Dallas and better limited lifetime warranty

Simonton 5500 has similar features but options push the price up there beyond standard "young" features.

55/267 guardian glass is comparable to 366 go to the guardian website and review coating specs,for you climate

Have been looking this subject for a long time and some installers swear by simonton or Prism,Kensington is now serious materials but no local support for their products here in Austin Tx now.

The san antonio DYC sales office supports the austin tx area ,Walt is a good guy

Look up some of the branded IE: Glass, spacers, product links for more detailed info on window components there is a lot to read.

Links:

http://www.truseal.com/products/flexible/duralite/

http://www.guardian.com/en/na/gp_009918.html

http://www.cardinalcorp.com/products_xledge/xledge.htm

High performance Cardinal spacers with the best IGU in the business...

Standard 3/4" spacers are adequete u values for central texas areas.

Option, Failure is not an option! That is why Don Young Windows options Cardinal XL Edge™ in all insulated glass units (IGU). With the lowest failure rate in the industry, XL Edge™ is a warm edge, stainless steel spacer featuring air tight bent corners and dual seal construction. The insulating capability of XL Edge™ improves a windows U-factor, making it more energy efficient allowing more options & configurations in Don Young Window offerings.

proteus
Last edited by proteus on Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:47 am, edited 12 times in total.