Lifetime warranty

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
Keridwen

Lifetime warranty

#1 Post by Keridwen »

Went to Anderson Renewal today to browse....

The salesperson said the "lifetime warranty" for vinyl replacement windows was pretty much meaningless in MN because state law defines "lifetime" as 7 years. So a lifetime warrany of someone else is 7 years versus their 20 year warranty.

Previously talked to a vinyl insert replacement dealer who led me to believe lifetime was lifetime as in as long as we lived in the house be it 5 years or 100 years.

Anyone know if lifetime warranties are indeed bogus? Or is this just Anderson trying to make a sale??

Trader

Re: Lifetime warranty

#2 Post by Trader »

Have them give you a copy of the Warranty in writing!

Windows on Washington

#3 Post by Windows on Washington »

I think you answered your own question.

bucketsky

#4 Post by bucketsky »

THV composite came to try to sell us windows yesterday 03/28/2010. Salesman stated clearly 50 year warranty and fully transferable after a 50 dollar fee. He was so high pressure it dissuaded us. Also window quote for 14 windows was in excess of 14,000 dollars.

buddy11

#5 Post by buddy11 »

Lifetime is "lifetime" not 7 years..

Skydawggy.

#6 Post by Skydawggy. »

If lifetime was only 7 years, the State would not allow a manufacturer to claim a lifetime warranty.
Last edited by Skydawggy. on Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jrm74

#7 Post by jrm74 »

Keridwen: Lifetime doesn't mean nearly as much as sales reps (or some of the pros here)would make them out to mean, period.

Make sure to read the fine print on all warranties! In addition, never purchase from a rep that will not leave you one at the time you meet so you can examine what it really means (or doesn't mean) for yourself.

Here is the part they NEVER want you to read:

"Lifetime" warranties are always dependant on who owns the house. They will almost always transfer only once and not to a third owner. Why does that matter you might ask? It's simple, because the national average that a homeowner lives in a home is.......you guessed it 5-7 years. Hmmmmm???

So if you live in the home for 7 years and the next owner lives there 5 years, the much hearlded "lifetime" warranty is GONE in only 13 years! Same if you are there 2 years and the next owner for 2.

So what does one make of a product whos "lifetime" warranty may be gone in 4 years, or 10 years, or in most cases 15?

Next ask youself why in that same fine print the warranty will go down 50% at the 10 year point from install if you sell the house? For example, this comes direct from the Sunrise website:

When transferring the warranty, the second property owner will be entitled to a 50% discount on the cost of a new insulated unit, should the original become defective as a result of the above reasons. However, if the insulated glass unit should fail prior to ten years after the original window or door purchase, the replacement unit will be at no charge.

Does that really sound like a product that will last for 20, 30, or 50 years like they want you to believe? If it is, then why charge 50% after 10 years to a second owner? And why does who owns the house matter in the first place if the product is supposed to hold up for "life". :lol:

When you read between the lines, you will typically find out how long the manufacturer thinks the product will last.

Fact is that a 20 year glass waranty, which doesn't hinge on ownership, like those offered by Pella, Anderson, and Marvin, will be a stronger warranty than the "lifetime" warranties most all of the time. There's a reason the Big 3 have been around from 75-100 years.

Sorry for the length and hope it wasn't too confusing. Funny that is really the point as the manufacturers and salespeople that play the "lifetime" angle for all it's worth tend to hope you get confused as well and just believe them.

"If you don't like the message, attack the messenger"

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#8 Post by Window4U (IL) »

jrm74 wrote:Keridwen:

"If you don't like the message, attack the messenger"
Gladly. You are so full of crap.

jrm74

#9 Post by jrm74 »

This should be good. Please list just 1 inaccuracy of my post since I am so "full of crap" (funny how I knew that this would be the first line of defense).

And this comes directly from the FTC website:

How to Advertise a Lifetime Warranty or Guarantee
"Lifetime" warranties or guarantees can be a source of confusion for consumers. This is because it is often difficult to tell just whose life measures the period of coverage.

Or the warrantor of the muffler might intend a "lifetime" warranty to last as long as the original purchaser of the muffler owns the car on which the muffler is installed. Although commonly used, this is an inaccurate application of the term "lifetime."[/

Sounds like the FTC is full of it too! :roll:

buddy11

#10 Post by buddy11 »

Yes, the original owner. That's never been disputed.
BTW, you refernece to Marvin is incorrect. They have a lifetime warrantee as well :wink:

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#11 Post by Window4U (IL) »

jrm74 wrote: This should be good. Please list just 1 inaccuracy of my post since I am so "full of crap" (funny how I knew that this would be the first line of defense).
jrm74 wrote:Keridwen:
"Lifetime" warranties are always dependant on who owns the house. [/i]
Look at the Starmark Warranty. They are warrantied for as long as the windows remain part of the property. No limits, no gimmicks. No matter who owns the house.
See, I have proven you are so full of crap, just like I said.

Skydawggy.

#12 Post by Skydawggy. »

Most warranties I have read state the original purchaser is covered and the warranty is fully transferrable to 1 subsequent owner. I'm not an attorney but, I seriously doubt the FTC would allow manufacturers to blatantly decieve consumers this way.

I suspect this is just the usual misleading blatherings of an Andersen Renewal salesman.

buddy11

#13 Post by buddy11 »

Skydawggy wrote:Most warranties I have read state the original purchaser is covered and the warranty is fully transferrable to 1 subsequent owner. I'm not an attorney but, I seriously doubt the FTC would allow manufacturers to blatantly decieve consumers this way.

I suspect this is just the usual misleading blatherings of an Andersen Renewal salesman.
Sounds about right

HomeSealed

#14 Post by HomeSealed »

jrm, you are "exposing" a question that nobody cared to ask. There is no scandal here. If I'm a homeowner purchasing a window, is it really my concern what warranty coverage that the subsequent owners will have? No. Beyond giving the "transferrable warranty" to the guy who buys it from me, what concern is it of mine. The fact is a lifetime warranty IS a lifetime warranty for the purchaser. That fact that there is ANY provision of transferrability is just a bonus. You mentioned some stats in regards to how long people typically live in homes. For one, I think those numbers will be getting longer with the condition of the housing market and economy in general, for two, again, who cares. I'm sure that the manufacturers have all of these numbers figured out in terms of how much exposure they will have to warranty claims and therefore use it as a sales tool, but for every few people that move after 5 years, there is someone who stays for 35... The bottom line is that a person purchasing windows only cares how long the warranty lasts FOR THEM. You can argue whether "lifetime" is the proper term based on your FTC quote, however there is nothing misleading going on. Clients are informed of the warranty provisions and given the certificate, etc... Further, you've incinuated that the "big 3" windows will last longer than others such as Sunrise. Which of their products would you be referring to? The Marvin fiberglass is probably the only one. Their vinyl offerings are junk, and even their nicer wood products are hard-pressed to last 20 years given the fact that we have become a "set it and forget it" society that does not like maintanence. Believe me, I've replaced countless numbers of Pella and Anderson windows that were between 8-20 years old and falling apart.

Skydawggy.

#15 Post by Skydawggy. »

It's pathetic the the extent that Renewal salesmen will go to to justify the weakest warranty in the window industry. 20 years on glass seal, 2 years on labor and 10 years on the product.

http://www.renewalbyandersen.com/custom ... fault.aspx

I guess if this was the best my company could do, I'd be left with no other response except to try and attack the warranty of my competitors. (Not that I would ever work for a company as deceptive as Renewal by Andersen). Sad...really sad.