Bay Window for Manufactured Home

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
Daughter

Bay Window for Manufactured Home

#1 Post by Daughter »

My parents own a manufactured home and want a bay window but the walls aren't strong enough to install one. Does anyone know if a 'light weight' version can be purchased for manufactured homes?

buddy11

Re: Bay Window for Manufactured Home

#2 Post by buddy11 »

Daughter wrote:My parents own a manufactured home and want a bay window but the walls aren't strong enough to install one. Does anyone know if a 'light weight' version can be purchased for manufactured homes?

Whay do you say that? With cable and under supports there shouldn't be a problem

Windows on Washington

#3 Post by Windows on Washington »

Only thing to do would be support the load by putting in jack posts that go down to the floor. I would not depend on anything lightweight to not tear out those walls.

Jack posts should be set on footers to prevent any drop off in height as a result of the compressive properties of the soil.

Daughter

#4 Post by Daughter »

My brother in law is a contractor and he told them they couldn't do it without removing and rebuilding the whole wall that has the existing windows in order to 'beef it up' for a bay window. I'll pass on the information you gave me and hopefully this will help. Thanks

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

Just to clarify, I am thinking of a manufacturer home in this case without an roof eave or wall section above to tap into.

If there is one, buddy's recommendation is completely fine.

buddy11

#6 Post by buddy11 »

If by manufactured home you mean a trailer with 2X3 walls then yes, I'd agree the walls may not be strong enough.