Alside Ultramax Windows

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
chucklong812

Alside Ultramax Windows

#1 Post by chucklong812 »

I went through the sales pitch from "promo home" windows last night. I think I have a fair deal, but I was hoping to get some opinions. I live in Dayton OH, for climate considerations.

The quote is for Alside Ultramax, triple pane, low e^2, argon gas filled (climatech) windows.

I have a total of 19 windows, and they are combining 2 to make a picture window resulting in 18 openings.
6 normal double hung
8 double hung with grids
1 Lite slider (which they will make into a full obscure window, in bathroom)
1 normal picture window
1 picture window with grids
1 1/2 round with grids.

The price for the windows out the door is $8316 (and of course I can get the 1500 federal rebate). Note a couple of the windows are over 100 united inches.

I also have a quote on a sliding door (9 foot) Alside 6109 series also triple pane and climatech (low e^2, argon gas filled) with brass hardware and a footlock out the door for $2531.

I've been through a couple of these promo-pitches and this is the best price I've seen so far (and the other pitches were for double panes, one was $8900, the other was $14000). And the rebates weren't around on the previous pitches. Is this a fair deal? I get the 50 year warranty (30 year transferrable) I've read mixed reviews on Alside, which concerns me a little. Though I have read some people stand behind them as well, resulting in "finger pointing" on what product is really better. I think the windows look nice and it seems like an OK deal, but I'm just not sure. I want to get my money's worth and of course don't want to waste it. I also don't have a fortune to spend on windows. Any opinions????

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

Re: Alside Ultramax Windows

#2 Post by Window4U (IL) »

Are you OK with rainwater being run through the multi-cavity sill extrusion of the window? Do you mind that not all the rainwater may drain out right away and that you might end up with mold/dirt/gunk/bugs inside your window frame where you can't get to clean?

If you don't mind then it's an excellent choice!

chucklong812

#3 Post by chucklong812 »

So lets say that some water gets in the multicavity extrusion. Maybe a little mold will collect? Is this the worst thing in the world? It is all on the outside, it's not in my house. What problems can evolve from this? Clogging? Is this something that can be resolved with maybe a pressure washer or something. Maybe this won't get it completely clean, but can something like this do a good enough job? Is this a problem that happens quickly or something that takes 5 years to occur. Can a yearly/biyearly cleaning of the cavity resolve the issue?

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

It is a pocket sill window which is less than preferable.

It is also a very thick extrusion so you will loose considerable glass when compared to other windows.

Air infiltration is average at 0.15.

At $465 an opening in the window capital state of the Union, there should be some better alternatives.

Skydawggy.

#5 Post by Skydawggy. »

I don't think you will do better than that price for triple pane glass windows as long as you keep in mind what WOW said about the pocket sill and the fat extrusions. If I was a consumer I'd probably go for that deal and I don't really like Alside windows.

Windows on Washington

#6 Post by Windows on Washington »

Skydawggy wrote:I don't think you will do better than that price for triple pane glass windows as long as you keep in mind what WOW said about the pocket sill and the fat extrusions. If I was a consumer I'd probably go for that deal and I don't really like Alside windows.
Totally missed the part about Triple pane. That is not a bad deal at that price.

I still don't like the window but that is an okay price for triple pane in that window.