Are Earthwise, Newton Slocumb, and Dream House the same.

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
windowman

Are Earthwise, Newton Slocumb, and Dream House the same.

#1 Post by windowman »

It seems Earthwise is the name of the window that somehow a company called Newton Slocumb makes and Dream House owns it and markets it. Could you please explain the "relationship" these three have because it doesn't make sense to me

booschang

Re: Are Earthwise, Newton Slocumb, and Dream House the same.

#2 Post by booschang »

Newton was purchased by Slocomb... is now just Slocomb. Slocomb manufactures the Earthwise window line for some 40+ companies in the Earthwise group and their own Windstopper window line that they sell through Install America. Dream House sells the Earthwise window. Saying they manufacture their own window is a stretch and they have been warned to stop making such claims.

If a Dream House rep tells you they make their own window you should send them packing.

Delaware Mike

#3 Post by Delaware Mike »

I was told something different. One of my friends that sells one of their products said that Newtown acquired Slocomb, and that one of the owners of Dreamhouse has stake in the Newtown portion of the business. Good grief, would/could one ever figure out the real truth? Would it matter? Most of these guys really stretch the truth, but keep it close enough not to get themselves in any real trouble.

Their window is glazed with the Duralite spacer. The window that Dreamhouse sells is supposed to be the very best that Newtown offers. That's all I'm going to say as about them.

booschang

#4 Post by booschang »

Here's the history of what you called Newtown-Slocomb. Dream House is not mentioned, but I think they are either an Earthwise Group member, or they owned a piece of Newtown when it was purchased in 2002. I'm curious too.

Your friend is mistaken about the Earthwise window being the best that Slocomb makes. The DP-55 Windstopper (u .19 shgc .19) is their best and Dream House does not have access to it or the superior glass packs that Slocomb puts in it. Don't get me wrong. The Earthwise is a real stand-out for many reasons. I know. I sell it too. It's just not their best.

Slocomb Industries, Inc. is a recognized pioneer and one of the nation's leading manufacturers of vinyl window products. The Newark, DE based company designs and manufacturers vinyl windows for homes, apartments, and many types of commercial buildings. It is one of the most successful small businesses in Delaware.

As a company, Slocomb was established in 1955 by Leon Slocomb, Jr. to sell and install storm windows and doors. Within five years he became a manufacturer, one of the first in the country, to make vinyl products. Vinyl windows rapidly became popular for their ease of cleaning, maintenance, durability, and superior insulating qualities.

In 1959, the business was incorporated under Delaware law.

By 1967 there was renewed interest in the rehabilitation of older homes, which was spurred by the high cost of new homes and rising interest rates. In response to this trend, Slocomb began manufacturing replacement windows. Then, in 1974, again in response to shifts in the market, (the emphasis on energy conservation), Slocomb entered the insulated glass business.

Due to limited manufacturing space and rapid growth of insulated windows, the firm stopped production of its vinyl storm windows and doors in 1975. Meanwhile, Slocomb had been studying new designs for a window that would have consumer appeal, yet would be easy and inexpensive to fabricate. The effort paid off, and a major turning point took place in 1979, when Slocomb formed Acro Extrusion Corporation to produce vinyl frames for windows. The move into the vinyl extrusion field catapulted the firm from regional business to one with major nationwide presence.

In 2000, Slocomb partnered with South Wall Technologies to manufacturer Heat Mirror Glass. This new insulated glass system is widely known as the most insulated product on the market today. Popular Science has awarded Heat Mirror Glass and the producer South Wall Technologies the distinction of being one of the top 100 inventions in the last 1,000 years.

In 2002, Slocomb looked to add to their manufacturing capabilities and acquired Newtown a Wilkes-Barre, PA Acro window manufacturer. There by forming Newtown-Slocomb. Through this acquisition the company moved into one of the top producers for vinyl windows in the US market.

In 2004, Newtown-Slocomb became part of the EarthWise window producers group. This was done in an effort to create a buying group with over 100 million in sales volume per year and major purchasing power to bring the best product and pricing to consumers in the United States. The EarthWise group in 2005 took its products, quality manufacturing techniques, and unprecedented warranties and compared them to all other products in the marketplace, this comparison was done by the Good Housekeeping Institute and when all was said and done the EarthWise group and the products were awarded the Good Housekeeping Seal.

In 2006, in recognition of the Good Housekeeping Seal, Install America (Slocomb's installation arm) was awarded AWDI elite status for installations and now sets the guidelines for quality installations throughout the Northeast.

Cheers

Delaware Mike

#5 Post by Delaware Mike »

Good stuff. At last, the truth comes out.

buddy11

#6 Post by buddy11 »

Booschang and Delaware Mike are correct.

Dreamhouse doesn't own any part of Slocum/Earthwise etc, and they don't offer the best product line. I just looked at a new earthwise line which has a .24/.17 in double pane trim and sub .18 in triple or HM. I was very impressed with it. I won;t offer it as I'm quite happy where I am, but it was a well designed window IMO.
However dreamhouse DOES have a listing on the NFRC. I'm not sure how the pulled that off without being a manufacturer

booschang

#7 Post by booschang »

Ah yes... the tripple panes. I always forget about those.

We were told that the newest EW line is coming, but are not yet selling it. I'm anxious to see how they improved it.

Buddy11, can you give us a little preview of the improvements? The rumor mill is muttering something about a new process that increases the thermal properties of the vinyl itself. Any truth to that? What else? The suspense is killing me!

Delaware Mike

#8 Post by Delaware Mike »

I had forgotten the triple heat mirror Slocumb window. Delaware has a mid-size window business that does them. They used to really advertise them a lot in the local paper. The windows that I've seen from Dreamhouse in my opinion, are barely mid-grade at best. Since they compete with Castle, their pricing most likely doesn't allow for them to jump to a more expensive window.

One of my installers that is semi-retired had his own window business for years. He had dealt with Slocomb for years and years. He had the biggest crush of the daughter of the Slocumb founder. Whenever her name was mentioned he would perk up and smile like that guy Bob from the Enzite commercial. Unfortunately for many Delaware homeowners, Slocumb had manufactured and produced several lines of very low-grade windows based upon price. They are installed everywhere in Delaware by anyone resembling a contractor.

buddy11

#9 Post by buddy11 »

booschang wrote:Ah yes... the tripple panes. I always forget about those.

We were told that the newest EW line is coming, but are not yet selling it. I'm anxious to see how they improved it.

Buddy11, can you give us a little preview of the improvements? The rumor mill is muttering something about a new process that increases the thermal properties of the vinyl itself. Any truth to that? What else? The suspense is killing me!
Its attratcive, uses truth one touch tilt/lock hardware (no tilt latches) The upper wind jammer parting strip automatically depresses when the top sash is lowered. Lot's a Qlon and well manufactured IMO
The DP with duralite spacer has a .24/.17 U/shcg. They use fiberglass insulation in the frame and sashes. :lol:

booschang

#10 Post by booschang »

buddy11 wrote: Its attratcive, uses truth one touch tilt/lock hardware (no tilt latches) The upper wind jammer parting strip automatically depresses when the top sash is lowered. Lot's a Qlon and well manufactured IMO
The DP with duralite spacer has a .24/.17 U/shcg. They use fiberglass insulation in the frame and sashes.
Nice. Sounds like an improved version of their old WindJammer frame. Same sloped sill and 4 stainless steel load balancers??

consumeravenger

#11 Post by consumeravenger »

I just wanted to ad things that are missing from these blogs. Dreamhouse when first in business used a Northeast building products windows. They are in bankruptcy currently as of Feb. 2010.
Earthwise is a national group of independent manufacturers that joined forces for buying power. They are sponsered by a large extrusion manufacturer they are a network kind of like a co-op needed it to compete for price. Dream house nor Install America control the window, they only buy the window from Slocumb. Install America actuallly is part of smaller regional co-op style company called Window Authority, no matter the family lineage Install America is not a direct part a division or controlled by Slocumb.
The part that the best is reserved for Install America nah that is not true either, as that window is sold to others in the supply chain as well.
Everything written in this blog is easily validated with very little effort. Google and Bing searches will provide you with enough validation that any questions you have will be answered. Google both companies, you will see the bankruptcy for Dreamhouse is accurate, you will be able to see the info on Window Authority as well as Earth Wise.
I went for a much deeper seearch on these companies but a free search will sort out the truth.

buddy11

#12 Post by buddy11 »

Dream house is in bankruptcy?

consumeravenger

#13 Post by consumeravenger »

Yes they filed for protection Feb 2010. Just bing or google search Dream House Bankruptcy and you will see all the proof they are ZA ZA Corp TA/Dream House

screenpass

#14 Post by screenpass »

the .24 u-factor they are getting,is that with heat mirror?