Quantum 2 Windows

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
bglinkerman

Quantum 2 Windows

#1 Post by bglinkerman »

I'm looking at replacing 16 double hung windows in northern VA. I've had several quotes so far and the window that seems to be the best so far (Quality/Price) is the Quantum 2 (Brochure: http://www.roeland.com/PDF_Brochure/SW_ ... 042610.pdf). I was wondering if anyone had personal experience with these windows and can give me any advice.

Brief Specs:

- Heat Mirror
- Krypton Gas
- Double Pane
- Insulated sash
- Warm edge spacer
- Fusion welded framing
- U-Value 0.19
- Low-E

Below are the quotes I've received so far, let me know if anyone would suggest one of the others:

Revere Berkshire - $7,000
Serious Quantum 2 - $12,800
Anderson (forget the model) - $18,000 (Out of price range)
Simonton 6500 - $11,000

I have read a few other posts about the Quantum 2's and haven't really found anything negative but most of the posts are a year or more old.

Skydawggy.

Re: Quantum 2 Windows

#2 Post by Skydawggy. »

I guess the first question is always, why do you feel you need triple pane glass in the DC area? The savings over double pane is going to be less than $125 per year in the average size home, regardless of what the salesman told you. Considering you can purchase a pretty good double pane for $200 or more less per window that would be an immediate savings of $2600 or more just by going from triple pane to double pane. With that difference in price, you could afford to invest in new doors or more insulation for your attic and/or making sure all the air leaks in your home are sealed up tight.

But, just in case you have already decided to purchase TP and won't be deterred by facts, the performance of the Quantum is nothing special. Most triple pane windows with krypton get a U-factor around .18. Some windows with TP get as low as .15 for comparison purposes. $800 per window is OK, but you could do better if you shopped around a little.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#3 Post by masterext »

quantuum is a well built window with good performance numers. i cannot think of a reason not to recommend it. personally i prefer soft coat lowE opposed to hea mirror but i think its a solid window and the price seems within reason.

bglinkerman

#4 Post by bglinkerman »

Hey EcoStar, thanks for the reply. This particular window is not a triple pane window, unless you consider the heat mirror as a "pane" (I've read some people do). I've also considered the upfront price vs savings over time and the $12800 price is at my threshold. Anything more than that and I feel that I will not recoup that cost in energy bills. (Even at that price it will take a while). I haven't even looked at TP windows, I figured they are over kill for my area. I'm think I'm going to call the dealer back today and see if I can haggle the price to $10,500 which would make each window $660. I feel comfortable paying that for these windows but I'm open to suggestions. This is my first home and only lived here for a year so my window knowledge is limited to what I've learned from the net in the last few weeks. Thanks for your help!

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#5 Post by masterext »

you are not just paying for a quality window but a quality install with a quality company. trying to "haggle" could sometimes be a mistake. you are talking about haggling over $2,000,a haggle is a few hundred.
you have no idea what this company's overhead may be;insurance ect...
as some others said,your pricing is reasonable.

Skydawggy.

#6 Post by Skydawggy. »

I'm not sure the LF boys will go that low but it's worth a try. Didn't they only promise that price if you "buy today?" How many calls to the manager did it take to get the price that low? :lol:

I consider heat mirror a TP window. The only difference is it uses mylar between the panes instead of glass. The idea is that the performance of the krypton gas improves dramatically when you contain it to a 1/4 inch space.

My point is you can purchase a pretty good double pane window for around $550 or less in this area. Heck, the Okna 500 comes in with a U-factor of .25 in a double pane. That gives you an immediate savings of $4000 as opposed to purchasing the Quantum. At a savings of $125. or less per year, it would take at least 32 years just to break even given the difference between it and a good double pane. I think it makes much more sense to spend the difference on new energy efficient doors and more attic insulation than to spend it all on windows. But that's just my opinion.

Have you considered getting an Energy Audit done before buying windows? Might be worth getting an unbiased opinion. An energy audit can help you pin point the areas of your home that would benefit the most from your attention to them. Don't assume windows will be a panacea to lower energy costs.

bglinkerman

#7 Post by bglinkerman »

You bring up a good point masterext, I'm not sure of the overhead of the company. The reason I was going to "haggle" $2k is because this was one of those sales pitch where they already dropped $15K from the price so I wasn't sure how much to push it. I guess for what I'm getting its a good deal because I had HD quote be a price of $11,400 for their windows whose performance was much lower. On another hand, just to through it out their the company is Long Home & Window (aka Long Fence). I've read so many mixed reviews on the company itself that I can't really say for sure how I feel about them. What I keep coming to is that they do 10's of thousands of jobs a year and it is likely that a company that size would get some amount of complaints. Would you by any chance have any experience or know anyone personally who has dealt with them. Thanks for your advice too.

bglinkerman

#8 Post by bglinkerman »

lol, yeah they salesman did need to call his "boss"....twice. His boss is such a nice guy, haha Yeah, they did promise the
price only if I "buy today". I've read on some other posts that others were in the same boat as I am and ended up calling them back and telling them they wanted to cancel (within the 3 day legal limit) and they dropped the price more. It was a typical high pressure sell.

I'm going to look into the Okna 500 since I have the 3 days before I'm contractually obligated. Like I said, I really liked the Quantum but at the same time if I can save 4G and still get an efficient window I'm not about to turn it down.

On another note, I did just re-insulated my attic (18" of fiberglass and AtticFoil), though, I do need some new doors. The property was a foreclosure and they have been pretty roughed up.

Skydawggy.

#9 Post by Skydawggy. »

You need at least 3 calls to the boss to get the price down more, Then you need to sign the contract and call 2 days later to cancel. That will get you an even bigger discount.

Note to anyone reading this. I only recommend this tactic for one of these high pressure dealers that starts out at $1200 per window and keeps dropping the price until the customer says yes. If they are going to play that game, then the gloves are off. Of course, I advise consumers to find contractors who will not insult your intelligence.

masterext

#10 Post by masterext »

ok,i see... you were put through the sales ringer.lol "let me call my boss".yesterday was the last day of the sale but if you sign today we will honor it as a courtesy"...

bglinkerman

#11 Post by bglinkerman »

Yeah, exactly. After talking to you all and my real estate agent (trying to determine if he has ever seen people look for a specific window brand when buying a house) and a trusted contractor in the area I think I will call LF back up and see what happens. Will keep you posted and let you know how it turns out.

Windows on Washington

#12 Post by Windows on Washington »

bglinkerman wrote:Yeah, exactly. After talking to you all and my real estate agent (trying to determine if he has ever seen people look for a specific window brand when buying a house) and a trusted contractor in the area I think I will call LF back up and see what happens. Will keep you posted and let you know how it turns out.
You are going to call LF again? Why would anyone deal with a company that drops their price by several hundred dollars per window and especially considering that there is Zero "0" special about that particular window?

buddy11

#13 Post by buddy11 »

I love heat mirror. It's a great insulator and better sound reducer than traditional DP or TP IGU's. That said you have two things working against you

1. The Q2 window is not a great design. For one thing it has a pocket sill which traps water and promotes mold. I was a Q2 dealer for 2 years. I had nothing but problems with them. Not the HM but everything else. Now to be fair they're now owned by Serious so I don't know if they've solved those issues

2. You have been dragged through the muck with BS sales pitch. Reputable, honest companies don't operate this way.

I suggest you keep looking. There are two members in this thread which serve your area. Click the get a quote button under there names. Both will serve you very well indeed.

bglinkerman

#14 Post by bglinkerman »

Thanks buddy11 and WoW. I'll take your advice and get quotes from this site. I agree, their sales tactics are a little sleazy.

Skydawggy.

#15 Post by Skydawggy. »

bglinkerman wrote:Thanks buddy11 and WoW. I'll take your advice and get quotes from this site. I agree, their sales tactics are a little sleazy.

Yes they are. Companies like this have one major goal and that is to charge you as much as they can get. I wouldn't deal with anyone who couldn't give you their best price without all the haggling. Buying windows isn't supposed to be that stressful. It should actually be fun. I mean after all, your home is going to be remodeled and those old builder grade windows are finally going to be replaced with brand new energy efficient ones. :lol: