Alside windows?

Share your experiences with others
matt_r

Alside windows?

#1 Post by matt_r »

Anyone heard anything about these windows good/bad?

Curious as to how they stand up to say, Simonton windows.

matt

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

Re: Alside windows?

#2 Post by masterext »

as long as you are getting at least the simonton 5500, the simonton is the better choice by far. Alside is a window made for contractors who need to buy cheap. not consumers who need long term durability and efficiency.

matt_r

#3 Post by matt_r »

hmmm, i guess i haven't heard that alside is only for when contractors need cheap windows--i'll have to look in to that. Are you talking about the Alside Sheffield and series 8000? The U and R ratings seem like the highest the industry.

Does simonton offer a reinforced steel sash like Alside?

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#4 Post by masterext »

simonton can come with a reinforced sash. thereare companies with much better u-factors than Alside. the u-factor does'nt tell the whole story; Alside is not very well designed and tend to leak air. also,they use pocket and snap in sills. I am not too familiar with the 8000 series but the sheffield is mediocre but with a poor sill design and ugly in my opinion. the excalibur is really bottom of the barrel.

buddy11

#5 Post by buddy11 »

Simontons are the better choice. Don't waste your time with Alside.

SuperiorW&D

#6 Post by SuperiorW&D »

Had a local family call me about a month ago. They just bought a home (less than 3 years old) and needed help with the windows. What a nightmare. The worst fit and finish I had ever seen. You could feel the breeze coming right through them.

They were Alside. I offered to replace them all....and they passed. So I gave them Applied Materials' (the west coast Alside sales rep) phone number and wished them luck.

Windows on Washington

#7 Post by Windows on Washington »

SuperiorW&D wrote:Had a local family call me about a month ago. They just bought a home (less than 3 years old) and needed help with the windows. What a nightmare. The worst fit and finish I had ever seen. You could feel the breeze coming right through them.

They were Alside. I offered to replace them all....and they passed. So I gave them Applied Materials' (the west coast Alside sales rep) phone number and wished them luck.
I am not attempting to one up you Superior, but for all homeowner dealing with similar issues, it is Associated Materials Incorporated.

http://www.associatedmaterials.com/r5windows.html

SuperiorW&D

#8 Post by SuperiorW&D »

Windows on Washington wrote:
SuperiorW&D wrote:Had a local family call me about a month ago. They just bought a home (less than 3 years old) and needed help with the windows. What a nightmare. The worst fit and finish I had ever seen. You could feel the breeze coming right through them.

I am not attempting to one up you Superior, but for all homeowner dealing with similar issues, it is Associated Materials Incorporated.

http://www.associatedmaterials.com/r5windows.html
That'll learn me to post before finishing my first cup of coffee. :roll:

Windows on Washington

#9 Post by Windows on Washington »

Caffeine is your friend.

Before = :(

After = :shock: :shock:

masterext

#10 Post by masterext »

its assocated materials not applied materials. i know applied materials very well; ticker symbol AMAT.

c4Js7P

Re: Alside windows? Signature 8000 by Apex

#11 Post by c4Js7P »

Based on everything I've read on this sight, I have a good idea about what the consensus thought is of this retailer selling this window and I respect your knowledge & opinions. In my neighborhood, several neighbors have used Apex to replace their windows with the Sig 8000 by Alside - triple pain, lowE, argon, etc. A couple were more than 25 windows. I checked with each of them and they were all happy with the job, the installers and the windows. Assuming they are installed perfectly, is there any reason to believe the windows won't perform as advertised? I'm just not seeing it based on neighbors and the Angies List reviews. Thanks
Last edited by c4Js7P on Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Skydawggy.

#12 Post by Skydawggy. »

What they are likely happy about is their new windows are better than their old ones. Ignorance is bliss.

Windows on Washington

#13 Post by Windows on Washington »

With all due respect, there are plenty of people that are very happy with installed products that they should not be.

Even the worst products will likely be "better" than their previous windows.

At a $740 per opening window, you should be happy and ultimately have a better product than what your neighbor got.

c4Js7P

#14 Post by c4Js7P »

Thank you guys for your feedback. Makes a lot of sense.

Skydawggy.

#15 Post by Skydawggy. »

Just get a few more estimates on some of the windows the Pros on here recommend. I'm very sure you will be glad you did. I would also stay away from the chains as they tend to be stonger on the selling side and not as good on the pricing side because they have a higher overhead with all the sales trainers and layers of management.