Sunrise Vanguard, Soft-Lite Elements or OKNA 800

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
Wolfman Jack

Sunrise Vanguard, Soft-Lite Elements or OKNA 800

#1 Post by Wolfman Jack »

I just joined this forum along with one called "Vinyl Replacement Windows" in hopes of getting some valuable advice. I'm looking into replacing the "builder grade" Andersen 200 Narrolines that were installed when my house was built. They're pretty old and beat up. Several local contractors that I've talked to each carry only one of the windows (see "subject line" for this post) that I'm curious about. I've read very mixed reviews on the Andersen 400s and have gotten the impression that the Marvin Infinity fiberglass windows are quite expensive. Unfortunately, each of the contractors only wants to talk about their own windows and no one has been able to provide an objective comparison of the Sunrise Vanguard, Soft-Lite Elements and OKNA 800. Hence, I'm hoping that some of the professionals that post to this forum can help me out. Without getting to wrapped up in scientific lingo, please try to give me some useful information that will help make this decision easier. Also, for a given window size (mine are roughly 3 feet wide and 6 feet high) what can I expect to pay, including installation, for each of these and also the Marvin Infinity? Looking forward to seeing your comments.

Thank You ........... Wolfman Jack

HomeSealed

Re: Sunrise Vanguard, Soft-Lite Elements or OKNA 800

#2 Post by HomeSealed »

All three of those are excellent choices and you really can't go wrong. Strictly by performance numbers, I believe it would be Okna, then Elements, then Vanguard, although they are all VERY highly regarded and very close. I'd highly recommend basing your choice on the installation company, as the quality of the install will have a far greater effect then any tiny difference in those three products. Pricing will be difficult to nail down depending on location, options, installation factors, etc, but I'd say anywhere between $450 on the stripped down end (DP white on white, no RRP) and $900-$1000 completely decked out (TP,Krypton,grids,woodgrain, exterior color,RRPetc) (per unit) would not be out of line, although that is based on my own service area.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#3 Post by masterext »

you are not going to find any of those windows for anywhere near $450, its extremely unrealistic. in double pane look for $600's for average cost without woodgrain or triple pane glass.
Look at the Okna 600 " EcoPro" or The Majestic series window by Ideal as well. Be sure its the majestic series though, the other Ideal windows are average at best. The majestic series by Ideal is sharp looking and built totally different than the standard Ideal windows. Its priced pretty good as well.
either of those would be a solid choice. this is where subjective opinion based on looks comes into play.
Last edited by masterext on Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:33 am, edited 2 times in total.

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

+1 on HomeSealed's feedback. I think that number may be a bit off on the low end and closer to the $600 level as mentioned but perhaps HS was going low, low, low in terms of no low-e, capping, etc.

You can't go wrong with any of those choices in the end. Interview the company and make sure that the installations are comparable as well.

Randy

#5 Post by Randy »

All three of those are excellent choices and you really can't go wrong.
you are not going to find any of those windows for anywhere near $450 . in double pane look for $600's
Interview the company and make sure that the installations are comparable as well.
Solid advice.

Wolfman Jack

#6 Post by Wolfman Jack »

Are the prices being mentioned just for the window or with installation included? BTW --- when HomeSealed refers to "RRP", what is he talking about?

Delaware Mike

#7 Post by Delaware Mike »

Installed. labor portion could go up $75 to $200 per window for lead safe renovation practices if lead was found in a pre-78 home. Sounds like you're on the right track. All 3 windows are very good.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#8 Post by masterext »

when we say 600's for a window that includes a "basic installation" with double pane glass,no wood grain or SDL grids. as homesealed said, the Okna 800 will have the best performance numbers but for me,i would be happy with any of those 3 choices. all are very nice looking and will definitely increase your homes energy efficiency. of course the attic is very important as well but thats another iscussion.
RRP refers to an install with lead paint. older homes have lead paint and the area needs to be contained which means more preparation with the work area. more labor intensive which translates into additional install costs. not a big deal since most reputable firms are used to doing it.

Wolfman Jack

#9 Post by Wolfman Jack »

No lead paint here. House was built in 1987. One of our neighbors had 10 Marvin Ultimate Insert double-hung replacement windows installed last year and claims to have paid "not quite $14 grand". He did get upgraded glass, built-in frames along with some other ginger, but that still sounds like an awful lot of money for "standard" size double hung replacement windows. The work was done by a local Marvin "gallery center". If I end up having to pay anything close to that for my windows, I think I'll invest in eskimo garb instead.

Windows on Washington

#10 Post by Windows on Washington »

The Marvin Ultimate is an extremely expensive and equally nice wood window. It is at the top of the wood window market and is likely 1.5 - 2X times more expensive than a similarly equip vinyl window.

I am not sure what he means by "upgraded" glass but that is a pricey window in any arrangement. Your windows, from a properly retailer, should not approach that number your neighbor paid.

Don't tell the neighbor what you paid at the end of the day for a more efficient and air tight window. :lol:

Wolfman Jack

#11 Post by Wolfman Jack »

This forum is terrific. I feel like I'm receiving tutelage from the Village Wise Men. All kidding aside, you guys seem to know your stuff. Thanks for the advice.

Randy

#12 Post by Randy »

the Okna 800 will have the best performance numbers
This has been stated a couple of times, but I'm not sure it's accurate. They're all great windows, but let's look at the hard numbers.

Here are the Soft-lite Elements ratings on a 44 x 60 double hung without grids:

DP - LC60
AL - .01 cfm
U-Value double pane with argon - .26
triple pane with argon - .19
triple pane with krypton - .16

Windows on Washington

#13 Post by Windows on Washington »

I would put the Okna 800 and the Elements right atop the leader board in terms of performance with the nod going to one or the other depending on what features were important to the customer. I would put either of those windows in my home in a heartbeat.

The thermal, structural, and air leakage numbers are identical except for the triple argon number in the Okna 800 being a 0.20.

I would also put the Sunrise Vanguard in my home as well but the Okna 800 and Soft-Lite Elements have the slight nod in performance.

Wolfman Jack

#14 Post by Wolfman Jack »

I'm not looking to add a lot of options other than built-in grids, argon gas, nice hardware, upgraded screens and sash lifts (if needed; my Andersen 200s don't have them). Assuming that I selected the same options on any of these 3 windows, would there be any significant (say, more than $100 per unit) difference in price?

Skydawggy.

#15 Post by Skydawggy. »

Pricing has more to do with dealer costs of insurance, advertising, labor, rent, taxes, overhead etc. There is no fixed price or rule of thumb for comparing prices between those 3 windows.