Any one heard of Cradco windows?

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
mhcountry

Any one heard of Cradco windows?

#1 Post by mhcountry »

I am just wondering, has anybody here ever heard of Cradco Windows?

I was told by a contractor that they pretty much sold just to new construction but are getting into replacements.

If anyone has heard of this window I would like to hear thoughts or opinions. I can't really find anything online.

earwax

#2 Post by earwax »

I have heard of Caradco windows. I believe their claim to faime is they are the older wood window company in the US. They are made in IL, Rantoul I think. They make a decent window.

Like all manufacturers, they have horror stories, ones I personally know about. They are owned by Jeld-Wen now. Jeld-Wen took care of the problem I was involved it without question.

They are sold in Home Depot stores through special order on the west coast and through large distributors.

Look at www.Jeld-Wen.com, you will find out their sales pitch there.

mhcountry

#3 Post by mhcountry »

Thanks earwax. I have heard of Caradco also. Just was told about a window called Cradco and I wonder if the person just did not know the spelling. When I do a search online, hits do come up for both Cradco and Caradco. I wonder if they are two separate window companies/types or just the same ones and people just spell it wrong.

Thanks though for the Caradco.Jeld-wen info!

earwax

#4 Post by earwax »

I did a google on cradco and the windows they are referring too most likely are Caradco. I did not find any reference to a different company, just people posting with bad spelling, like myself.

mhcountry

#5 Post by mhcountry »

Thanks again. I know the feeling on spelling...hahaha. Appreciate it!

JScott

#6 Post by JScott »

Caradco, founded in 1869? as Carr, Adams and somebody later changed their name to Caradco. We service more of these than any other brand. They have recently re-engineered there units to get away from the boot glazed system and also away from the 0.019 roll form cladding that clips to the exterior of an unprimed piece of fingerjointed balsa wood, I mean pine. The new tradition plus casements are now like the more quality jeld-wen company called Norco. On the old series we have replaced them within 3-8 years. The re-engineering should eliminate the downfalls. Time will tell. They were purchased by Alcoa then later Alcoa sold their window line to Jeld-Wen. Jeld-Wen shut the Alcoa vinyl plant down and kept the Caradco plant intact. The Caradco plant also currently manufactures replacement parts for the old Wenco line. As of this writing I would not trust Jeld-Wen as to part availability in the future. Over the next 5 years I expect them to shut plants, merge plants and merge lines to eliminate the Caradco, Norco and Pozzi lines. If you see what Jeld-Wen has been doing over the last 2-3 years I believe this is writing on the wall. I may be wrong, I have been in the past. Usually more right than wrong. If you have a service issue now the company is doing a great job in our region. You will probably do okay with them my writing is just FYI on past product performance. Hope this helps.

earwax

#7 Post by earwax »

JScott,

Sounds like you have experience with Jeld-Wen too. I do not think I would worry about them closing the four wood plants they have. I know they are actually adding on to two of them, not because of cosolidation, but becasue of growth. For service, I know it is difficult to get Wenco parts, but they are available and if they are not, they usually will find a way to satify the customer with either new windows all together or money back.

I do like the new caradco window too. I like the Norco more and Pozzi is too pricey for the average new home being built. They are great of the customs thought.

Sir Loin

Caradco window - replacement glass

#8 Post by Sir Loin »

I had Caradco windows installed in a new house 15 years ago. I have been well pleased with them. They are wooden with a metal outside finish.
Now a couple sweat slightly and I would like to upgrade the glass to a low-e glass that has more UV protection.
The way the windows are constructed, with a screw in each corner, it is fairly simple to change the glass. (I have had two replaced because of moisture inside and one cracked), :?: does anyone know if you can buy replacement glass from Carado instead of havng to replace the entire window :?:

JScott

#9 Post by JScott »

Sir Loin,

You should be able to purchase glass from a Caradco distributor. LowE is a good way to go. Keep this in mind- LowE tint variations do occur. LowE from Caradco(Cardinal) will have a different tint from AFGD. You either have 7/16 glass if a double hung or casement through 1989-1990 then the glass went to 5/8 for double hungs and 3/4 for casements. Look at the spacer bar between the glass- if you see 716 it is 7/16 if you 916 it will be 3/4 on the casements. The spacer bar for 7/16 is 3/8 which is the width of a pencil. The 5/8 and 3/4 will be much wider. Expect to pay a premium for the Caradco glass and keep your invoice as they have a 20 year seal failure warranty now for insulated glass.
Hope this helps.

Sir Loin

Caradco glass

#10 Post by Sir Loin »

JScott,

Your info is encouraging. Would you happen to know where I can get a list of distributors (Nashville TN area), or should I just Google to find them.

Thanx,

Sir Loin

JScott

#11 Post by JScott »

In Louisville Home Depot is now carrying them as well as a few other larger lumber companies. Jeld-wen.com is a good place to start but as we are a Norco distributor we do not show up there. The phone book is a great source of information. Call Caradco direct(now Jeld-wen Rantoul), they are in Rantoul, Il and you may be able to find their phone number by searching the web yellow pages for that town. Even check out the BBB webpage, they have corporate info and numbers. Should not be to hard. If you have 15 year old clad casements you either have Traditional clad or CarClad. Traditional has 11/16" while CarClad has 3/4" glass. If you do have casements measure the width of the sashes. You won't know the difference but the service dept will. The tradional clad sash is thinner, therefore thinner glass. Did not catch this earlier when I posted. We just moved our showroom and warehouse(in process) and have had a few rough weeks. Okay, a few really really bad weeks and a few posts I made were not made with a clear mind.

Sir Loin

#12 Post by Sir Loin »

Thank, I'll check into this.

qauditor

#13 Post by qauditor »

Ok Norco fans - read this.

If it isn't too late DO NOT buy Norco windows. I built my house 10 years ago with what were supposed to be really good windows - wrong! The windows have had condensation on them, have iced over, mechanisms have failed, and the v-seal strip on my casements dried out, cracked and fell off. All of this started happening within the first three years. I got stuck between the builder and Norco pointing fingers at each other as to who was at fault.

If you want more information on the condensation game read the thread about Softlite windows. Too much humidity in the house - turn down your humidifier on the furnace (don't have one), run a de-humidifier in the worst room (didn't help), have the exhaust fans vented to the outside (have been since the house was built) - you get the idea.
As for Norco's customer service - doesn't exist. The v-seal failed on ALL of the 20+ windows that open. The local distributor asked Norco to send more (for me to install). Norco sent a 30' long piece (for 20+ windows) that was folded 4 times and kinked and cracked (surprise!). I can go on for pages, but I think this is enough to give you the idea.

If you want to stand behind your product (it would be a surprise) come and replace my windows

earwax

#14 Post by earwax »

Quaditor,

Thank you for your experience. It sounds like you have had a rough go of it when dealing with windows. I saw your identical post on the Norco question. Both companies are part of the Jeld-Wen family and my experience has been pleasant with both. If you are unsatisfied, try calling the corporate office in Oregon and tell them of your displeasure. Let us know how they respond. I know I have refered peopel to them and they have tried to make it right.

Bombadil

#15 Post by Bombadil »

FYI,

I've recently seen Jeld-Wen Caradco windows for sale from Menards. So if you happen to live close to a Menards, you can compare their pricing vs Home Depot.