pella 850, andersen 400, eagle, marvin

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
lori

pella 850, andersen 400, eagle, marvin

#1 Post by lori »

Where I live, we have Lowes and Home Depot across the street from each other. Lowes has the Pella 850 equal to the Architect classic series at the Pella store. Home Depot has the Andersen 400 series.

Is the basic difference, one is aluminum and the other vinyl clad? It seems many on this board don't like the Andersen. Why? Is it because of the vinyl? Is aluminum really much better? We go from very cold to very hot here so which cladding handels the temperature extremes better?

Haven't been able to find a Marvin to look at yet. If the glass and spacer are the same for Marvin and Andersen and both are pine, is the main difference again the cladding only? What kind of spacer does Pella use? The guy at the store didn't know.

The only Eagle dealer in my state listed on their web site is very far away, so I don't feel this is an option.

Finally, I was on another web site and there were many posts on rotting Pellas and Marvins. I don't know the exact dates but within the last ten years. Are these problems behind the companies?

Thank you for any advice. The people on this web site are very informative.

RC

#2 Post by RC »

I picked aluminum clad wood since I wanted stained wood interiors and a dark brown exterior. You can't find vinyl windows in dark exterior colors. The rotting issues are often installation errors. Evidently there was a problem with wood treatment (some chemical did not work as promised) several years ago that caused problems with certain companies (Marvin?) There is alot of "noise" regarding windows on the internet, it is hard to find the truth and make an informed decision with any confidence. One person can post alot on many sites and make a big stink. The Bob Vila board is one of the worst for this. If you pick one of the big companies that has been in business for many years, good reputation, and is backed up by a stable dealer network you will be in better shape, in my opinion. I installed Pella 850 series myself and have been well-pleased. I'm just a homeowner and don't have any financial ties to any window comany. Watch out for who is posting what, I wish there was some disclosure (financial) for every person posting. Most of the frequent posters on this board have some connection with window companies.......either in sales or installation, but most will push their products and bash the others.

lori

#3 Post by lori »

Thanks RC. I knew you had these windows from your other posts.

When you open your casement and look at the weatherstripping, do you have a gap at the corners like the ones at the showroom? The wood is exposed. Won't water get in there when the window is closed? or is something done during installation to cover this?

The outside of my windows will be white so that is not a factor when choosing between aluminum and vinyl.

RC

#4 Post by RC »

No gaps on my windows. There are two separate weather stripping materials. One is a vinyl tube that compresses from the frame to the sash, the other is an outer vinyl flap that extends from the sash to the frame.
Last edited by RC on Sun Apr 03, 2005 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lori

#5 Post by lori »

The flat black flap.

RC

#6 Post by RC »

The outer flap on mine is dark brown to match the external color of the frame/sash. Its the first line of weather stripping to the elements. I can take photos if you want, but the details of the weather stripping are in the .pdf files on the pella site, to extreme detail. There are NO gaps that I can see on mine. The showroom windows of all windows typically are pretty beat up, especially in Home Depot and Lowes.

RC

#7 Post by RC »

lori

#8 Post by lori »

O.K. Thanks!! I will check the Pella site.

RC

#9 Post by RC »

Weather Stripping for Pella casement windows (Architect series, 850 series)
• Dual weather stripping:
1) Continuous, flexible polyvinyl chloride material in dual
durometer design with welded corners, compressed
between frame and sash for positive seal on all four sides.
2) Secondary polyvinyl chloride leaf type weather strip
between edge of sash and frame.

RC

#10 Post by RC »

PS:
The hardest part of installing these windows is finishing. It is a pain in the derrier! I removed each sash from the frame several times during the finishing process, removing all the hardware before each coat. I bet there are easier ways but I did this for the sanding sealer, then the stain, then for each coat of the satin exterior polyurethane. I have a beautiful result, but it was alot of work!

Guy

#11 Post by Guy »

Great post! Way tp speak your heart RC!! RC does speak the truth. You happen to choose windows that cause some stir here. If you've been following along you know I'm a the Pella pusher. I'm the only Pella pusher other than RC. I will gain loyal fans soon!! But I can honestly say any of the windows you choose would be a good decision. Andersen, Eagle, Marvin & Pella in my honest opinion make good products and stand behind them. Don't compare looks from the showroom. These windows are just cobbed in place. They aren't really level and straight. You should be very comfortable with any of these. Good Luck!!!

lori

#12 Post by lori »

Guy,

How does Lowes hire its installers? Is there one contractor with his crew per store or several? I wouldn't know a good one from a bad one.

The guy came out to measure for my quote today. He apeared very professional. He took extra time on top of a ladder measuring the half circle window in one room. One guy did this from the floor only.

He also suggested we have both sides of the casements open instead of one fixed like we have now. He said this way the unit comes as one from the factory. Otherwise it would be two and he would have to work more on it in the field.

RC

#13 Post by RC »

You should be able to order it any way you want. If you want one fixed and the other movable Pella can make it that way in the factory, there should not be any extra work in the field.

Guy

#14 Post by Guy »

We have only one Lowes here in MN. We are the major installer and we have two other's to back us when we go on overload. All the stores subcontract this out. It's by far a cheaper way to go for the stores. So far it's no problem here and we can handle the volume of probably four stores. One thing Lowes has over the other box stores here in MN is the staff. Unlike Home Depot and the other big box stores they have a person running the program that is from the trades. He was from the construction management field and has a good handle on things. He's not scared to tell those horrible installers or customers to go away! They didn't just stick some installation manager in his spot without knowledge of the trades we use everyday. So we as installers have free will to sell the job and have continued contact with the customer to prevent issues. What I have done is made up a formal sheet which tells the customer what to expect on installation day. This also gives them all the options they have and what they need to know for the upcoming job. I also give them my card and phone number in case they have any unanswewred questions. The main goal is to have the customer feel comfortable with us being in their home and around their children. I never want any customer to feel uncomfortable. It also helps that my son is an Abercrombie Fitch poster child. He's a very handsome and strong 21 year old man. Something years have taken away from dear old dad!!! All the moms love having him around. My theory is comfort. So that's what works for us. You can always call the store and check on your installer. You can even check up on them. One thing to remember is they will do everything to make you happy. Don't lie down if you fell something is not right. Speak up and tell someone!! They will correct it!

Oberon

Lowes

#15 Post by Oberon »

Hey Guy!

You are doing the Lowes installs? Heck of a deal it sounds like.
Great post about you and your son! Had me laughing outloud!

One thing that gets lost in these posts sometimes is that the companies mentioned here really do care about customer service and really do want to do right by their customers.

I know that we have all seen horror stories related to these (and MANY other) companies (and I am talking the window makers, not the big boxes), but ultimately the folks who run these companies, and the majority of the folks who work there, care a great deal about their reputation and about what they are delivering to the customer....that is, to me, important.