LINK: Installation Instructions for Vinyl Retrofit Windows

DIY - If Your Bound & Determined
mailmanx

LINK: Installation Instructions for Vinyl Retrofit Windows

#1 Post by mailmanx »

After some great advice from people on this forum, I installed vinyl retrofit windows in my home. I am VERY happy with the results.

Before installing the windows, I looked for COMPLETE instructions (with pictures or video) on the internet. I did not find anything that I felt covered every step for both the inside and outside. Therefore, I took pictures of all the steps while I did them.

I wrote what I hope are very complete instructions along with pictures to illustrate each step. I did this just because I enjoy writing. I hope that it might help a few people who are considering this very cost effective upgrade, but are hesitant to try it. The task was much easier than I expected and saved me thousands.

I proof-read the attached document until I was cross-eyed, but there are probably still mistakes. If you see anything that needs to be fixed/changed, please let me know.

http://www.preyerplanning.com/vinyl-ret ... -steps.pdf

I see that there is also a different forum called "Vinyl Replacement Windows". I never joined that forum, but it appears to be affiliated with this one. I'd be happy to post this document on that forum as well, but don't want to upset anyone by cross-posting. Moderators - your thoughts on that?

Thanks again to all who helped!

Michael

Windows on Washington

Re: LINK: Installation Instructions for Vinyl Retrofit Windows

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Pretty solid write up. I didn't go through the whole thing yet but it looks pretty comprehensive.

Might want to add a disclaimer about using any sanding, torch, or wire brushes on lead containing surfaces.

mailmanx

Re: LINK: Installation Instructions for Vinyl Retrofit Windows

#3 Post by mailmanx »

Windows on Washington wrote:Might want to add a disclaimer about using any sanding, torch, or wire brushes on lead containing surfaces.
Excellent idea. I will do that.