BetterBilt windows???

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
z06mike

BetterBilt windows???

#1 Post by z06mike »

I am looking to replace the windows in my home with some new double pane, energy star etc. vinyl windows. I have gotten a few quotes and had Lowe's come out and give me one yesterday. The guy was very helpful and knowledgeable and I was definitely thinking about going with these windows. Today, I get on the net to do some research and all I see are negative comments/reviews.

Do any of you have experience or reviews with these? I am looking to pull the trigger soon and don't want to waste my money on junk.

Another company that I got a quote from use Royal Windows. Are those good, better, or about the same as BetterBilt?

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

Re: BetterBilt windows???

#2 Post by masterext »

Both are total garbage. I guarantee if you install either of those 2 brands, you will be spending money again replacing them in a few years. They are both designed very poorly and use a lower grade vinyl. Same goes for American craftsman and MI windows.
Brands recommended here are Okna, Polaris, Gorell, Sunrise, and Soft lite.
All of these are well designed and very emery efficient.
Also depends on where you are located.

Windows on Washington

#3 Post by Windows on Washington »

A person with an obvious eye for performance (i.e. given the mean machine of 427 cubic inches...if you drive a C6) should appreciate the difference between good performing products.

You are going to need a good low range solar heat gain (i.e. 3 coat low-e) and I would look for a solid window like a Soft-Lite, Simonton, or Gorell for your area.

If Sunrise is available, they are solid as well.

You start to pull on some of the West Coast brands that are good as well so I will wait for the guys from the TX market (i.e. Randy at Ultra) to add to that list.

z06mike

#4 Post by z06mike »

Thanks for the suggestions! What about Simonton??

P. S. I've actually had a bunch of vettes. My last one was a C6 vert. I got that no nickname a long time ago when I bought my first z06 to differentiate between me and my other buddy Mike.

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

z06mike wrote:Thanks for the suggestions! What about Simonton??

P. S. I've actually had a bunch of vettes. My last one was a C6 vert. I got that no nickname a long time ago when I bought my first z06 to differentiate between me and my other buddy Mike.
Simonton is a pretty solid window and has great support after the fact.

z06mike

#6 Post by z06mike »

Windows on Washington wrote:
z06mike wrote:Thanks for the suggestions! What about Simonton??

Simonton is a pretty solid window and has great support after the fact.

LOL :D I just read your post again and realized you had already mentioned Simonton. Thanks for the input!

Randy

#7 Post by Randy »

In El Paso, if you're going to go with Simonton, I'd stick with either the 5500 or 9800 series, and upgrade to the optional sash reinforcement, along with Low-E366.

z06mike

#8 Post by z06mike »

Randy wrote:In El Paso, if you're going to go with Simonton, I'd stick with either the 5500 or 9800 series, and upgrade to the optional sash reinforcement, along with Low-E366.

I'm not sure which model he uses, but I will ask when he comes to give me the quote!

z06mike

#9 Post by z06mike »

Randy wrote:In El Paso, if you're going to go with Simonton, I'd stick with either the 5500 or 9800 series, and upgrade to the optional sash reinforcement, along with Low-E366.
The quote he is preparing for me is for the 5050 (which is also what he brought for me to look at). What do you think of the 5050?

Randy

#10 Post by Randy »

My advice hasn't changed.

Windows on Washington

#11 Post by Windows on Washington »

z06mike wrote:
The quote he is preparing for me is for the 5050 (which is also what he brought for me to look at). What do you think of the 5050?
Go with the heftier 5550/Prism Platinum or the 9800 with sash reinforcement.

The cost differential between an average window and a good window will be small and you will get a product that will serve you much better for years to come.

z06mike

#12 Post by z06mike »

Randy wrote:
My advice hasn't changed.
Ok, so basically stay away from the 5050? Is it that much worse than the 5500? Any other advice you can give me is greatly appreciated.

z06mike

#13 Post by z06mike »

Windows on Washington wrote:
z06mike wrote:
Go with the heftier 5550/Prism Platinum or the 9800 with sash reinforcement.

The cost differential between an average window and a good window will be small and you will get a product that will serve you much better for years to come.

Ok, I will definitely get him to give me a price on the 5500.

z06mike

#14 Post by z06mike »

I am getting another quote today from a guy who uses Solar Industries. What is you're take on these??

I did get the quote from the Simonton guy and wanted to send you guys the quote to get your opinions on it but I don't see a place to send a PM?

EcoStar Remodeling

#15 Post by EcoStar Remodeling »

What is it you want an opinion on? Simonton makes a decent window and they have great customer service.