THV Compozit windows

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
Jubbean2

Re: THV Compozit windows

#16 Post by Jubbean2 »

I am not trying to scare anyone. I called the county and state consumer protection division to make certain that I don't hire bad contractors with complaints against them. What is going on here? I live in Montgomery County Maryland and they run news specials this time of the year saying beware of gypsy contractors who take your money and disappear. The great majority of complaints at the Montgomery County consumer protection division is home improvement scams, etc.

Why is everyone taking things so personally? I don't understand. If you disagree with my assertions that is fine but provide evidence that I am wrong is all I want from this forum. You can't help consumers if they can't talk about what they are experiencing without others feeling they are recommending or disparaging other products.

Jubbean2

#17 Post by Jubbean2 »

The rear of my house in Montgomery County Maryland in the dead of summer routinely reached more than 125 F according to a thermometer in my backyard. WOW is coming to my home to show me some windows. I hope he has the answer.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#18 Post by masterext »

gypsy contractors? a small bit of research and you can easily tell if a company is established. no rocket science.
problems arise when consumers start looking for the cheapest price and 99% of the time its the cheapest guy that runs away with the money , not an established company.
whenever i see a news story about this subject i always scratch my head and wonder why a consumer would choose a guy who comes in so much cheaper than everyone else.
if he doesnt run away withnyour money, you can bet he's using low quality products.. thats basically losing your money as well. consumers need to take some responsibility.

EcoStar Remodeling

#19 Post by EcoStar Remodeling »

Size is no indication as to whether they will do a good job or whether the outcome will be satisfactory. Some of the best installers out there are small companies of only 2 or 3 installers. Many prefer to stay small because they can focus more on quality instead of quantity. Some of the larger companies have the worst reputations. Penguin Windows and Window Wizards would be good examples.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#20 Post by masterext »

agree..i am talking about so called "gypsy contractors" that run away with money.
for the most part, a well established business will not run with your money.

HomeSealed

#21 Post by HomeSealed »

Jub, if you hang around here long enough, you'll see wave after wave of salesmen come through here who shamelessly promote their product. Those of us that are "regulars" here take it upon ourselves to cut through the bs so that this board remains a resource where consumers can separate truth from the lies and exaggerations that they get from most window salesmen. Your original post came across as being a little too heavy on the THV sales spiel, which unfortunately is full of hyperbole.
If you are dealing with WoW, you are in good hands as he is truly one of the best, and will be able to answer any question that you may have.

buddy11

#22 Post by buddy11 »

The Starmark is a hell of a window. A bit large or beefy, but well made with very good performance numbers. Like WOW said, if you're looking at a composite, I would recommend it.

HomeSealed

#23 Post by HomeSealed »

buddy11 wrote:The Starmark is a hell of a window. A bit large or beefy, but well made with very good performance numbers. Like WOW said, if you're looking at a composite, I would recommend it.
+1 ... As I mentioned earlier, I don't think the THV is bad, but I do believe that the Starmark is far superior. Definitely the better choice is you are looking at composite.

TheWindowNerd

#24 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Thirty years installing vinyl windows and no failures.

Perhaps you would also consider fiberglass.

k9husky72

#25 Post by k9husky72 »

I am a contractor that use to sell the THV Compozit window. I was "sold" on the demonstration and the information that they had given me on the quality of the product and also thought I had done my due diligence. We started to run into issues with the quality of the product early on and wanting to keep our good name in the community we honored the warranty. What I found out was THV wouldn't honor their side. It has cost us thousands extra in labor, shipping, and miscellaneous parts that they tell us is not covered under the warranty. They have been the most difficult business to work with. As a contractor, I can only be as good as my products. If the manufacturer would back their warranty to us and given us the support we needed, we probably would still be working with them. All I can say is stay away from THV Compozit.

TheWindowNerd

#26 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I would agree with ya that durability is right up there with appearance and performance for window purchasing.
I sell clad wood, vinyl, hybrids, and fiberglass. I have been in the industry for 30+ years and personally installed thousands of windows.
Good vinyl is good, and bad vinyl is bad. Not the chemical make up( so much but the additives can make a huge difference) but the thickness/guage, desing, mfg tolerances, fabrication type(welded, mechaniacl, combination).
Granted is is hard for you the consumer to tell the difference between a lie, a half lie and the truth. Some of you have terrible BS meters.
Most of the pros on here sharing their time and answering questions have several product lines and other than vinyl to offer.
We do know what we are talking about and do realize that there is cheap junky ------ vinyl out there. Same with wood, hybrids and fiberglass.
So we have had a tiny discussion about materials and said nothing about the larger issue of installation quality...

tossici

#27 Post by tossici »

I agree with the suggestion to look at fiberglass windows. If you have concerns about vinyl you should pick something that will give you peace of mind in your own home. I'm still shopping around myself but when we started our project my wife said we should get the basic anderson 200 series vinyl "clad" wood windows. After a few google searches and looking at some samples I knew that I would always be worried about the exterior coat failing and wood rot. I'm sure there are some good wood products and with a quality installation they will never fail but I just don't want to be bothered so I'm looking at vinyl options (fiberglass seems beyond my budget). Good Luck, and definitely post an update when you pick something.

BigBob69

#28 Post by BigBob69 »

I am also looking a installing the THV Compozit windows. Can somebody give me the bottom line on these windows? Are they a good window or not. I'm building a 20x17 sunroom and want some good windows. These are available to me and could use some advice. Thanks

HomeSealed

#29 Post by HomeSealed »

BigBob69 wrote:I am also looking a installing the THV Compozit windows. Can somebody give me the bottom line on these windows? Are they a good window or not. I'm building a 20x17 sunroom and want some good windows. These are available to me and could use some advice. Thanks
Bob, as I said in my comments earlier in this post, That product is not BAD by any stretch, however it is not outstanding either. It can often fetch a premium price just because it is something "different", but in reality, it is rather average. Often times a superior product could be found for the same price or less... In addition, there is some vitriol directed toward it due to the hyperbole(at best) that is promoted at the expense of vinyl windows, however this tactic is common among most niche products ( fiberglass, composites, etc).
Ultimately, if you get a great deal, it is a fine choice. Just don't pay a premium because they tell you that it is something special.

Where are you located? We could make a recommendation on other good products available so that you'd have something to compare...