Pella Encompass vs SeriousWindows 300 Series

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
Balask

Pella Encompass vs SeriousWindows 300 Series

#1 Post by Balask »

Hello I am new to the forms but I am struggling to find the best value on my windows. I live in Detroit, Michigan and we have two major players here Wallside (who came in here treated me like I was crap, didn't even leave a written quote, and stormed out when he found out I wanted more quotes from other companies) and Hansons (Who were more impressive, but I didn't feel as comfortable with them and the positive review I got from them was they had to come out three times to correct mistakes).

What I have been left with is two companies that people in my area don't know much about Tailor Made Windows and Doors (who sell SeriousWindows) and Pella. I'm replacing 7 windows SeriousWindows 300 will run me $2,795.00 installed, and Pella Encompass will run me $4,352.61. I hear good things about both windows and I have a friend that claims that Pella windows are just beautiful. I don't know anyone who has actually got SeriousWindows installed.

Anyway I was wondering what you people think and suggest.

Windows on Washington

Re: Pella Encompass vs SeriousWindows 300 Series

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Get another quote would be my first suggestion.

Soft-Lite, Sunrise, and Simonton are all just as good (actually better) products and I think that you would be well served to take a look at another product and especially considering that you only have one quote (throw out the first one obviously).

HomeSealed

#3 Post by HomeSealed »

Pella's only beautiful window is the Architect/Designer series. I would not touch any of their other products, certainly nothing in vinyl. Serious is in the the news right now with financial troubles. Product is okay, but do your homework on them before making a purchase. You don't want to be left without a warranty.

I would agree with WoW, check out some other options.

Balask

#4 Post by Balask »

I'm sorry I should have been more clear I got four quotes, the one I am comparing is one from Pella, and one from a completely different company Tailor Made Windows which sells Serious Windows. I'll look into those brands you suggested though

Balask

#5 Post by Balask »

Also could you give me a link to the story where SeriousWindows is having financial troubles? Pella had mentioned the only thing he had heard of them was that they recently got sued over not having the advertised energy savings when he was at a conference, though I don't have any stories for either part.

HomeSealed

#6 Post by HomeSealed »

You could even throw Great Lakes/ Plygem in there on Simonton's level. I'd put the Softlite and Sunrise options a notch above. Gorell is another good product, but they are another company in transition having recently been purchased.

Here is the most recent article: http://www.windowanddoor.com/news-item/ ... plant-hold

HomeSealed

#7 Post by HomeSealed »

Here is another from a different publication:
Serious Energy Looking for New Owner for Chicago Plant–Updated 6 a.m. February 24

Feb 23rd, 2012 | By DWM Mag | Category: Industry News
Serious Energy, based in Sunnyvale, Calif., announced late on February 23 that it will cease operations of its Chicago-based facility for manufacturing windows and glass products to consolidate operations in two other existing facilities.
Shortly after that announcement, a statement dated February 24 announced that Serious and the United Electrical Workers Union Local 1110 have come to an agreement “to resolve yesterdays’ situation at the Chicago-based window facility. Members of the press received incomplete and incorrect information that Serious Energy would be closing the facility immediately. The Chicago plant remains open at this time, and the parties are working together to find a new owner if possible and explore all other options. Both UE and Serious Energy apologize for any resulting confusion,” said the statement.
The company entered into a lease for the 268,000 square foot Chicago plant in 2009 and made substantial investments to retool the plant over a three-year period. It also hired and trained employees, according to the company. The facility was the former location of Republic Windows and Doors.
“Ongoing economic challenges in construction and building products, collapse in demand for window products, difficulty in obtaining favorable lease terms, high leasing and utility costs and taxes, and a range of other factors unrelated to labor costs, have compelled Serious to cease production at the Chicago facility,” according to the February 23 statement.
Approximately 46 individuals are employed at the plant and this includes union and non-union positions.
Serious Energy has two other window and glass manufacturing facilities, based in Colorado and Pennsylvania.
Kevin Surace, chairman and CEO, Serious Energy, writes a blog for DWM magazine, and in October 2011 he wrote about the fact that the industry “MUST shed another 50 percent of its capacity at every level right now and forever.”

Balask

#8 Post by Balask »

So I guess the answer is neither window is good? Which GreatLakes/Plygem window is the best value? I do have a limited budget. To select the right dealer for a quote you need to select the brand inside that brand.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#9 Post by masterext »

Serious windows arent bad, i just think there are better windows such as the aforementioned; sunrise, soft lite, gorell, and 0kna /himark ( not available in your area).
that said, serious is a better window than pella. i am not a big fan of plygem although their " uniframe " series is pretty solid in my opinion.

Balask

#10 Post by Balask »

Gorell's 5100 series has a U-value of .48, SeriousWindows has a U-Value of .29, Sunrise has a U-value of .29 so I contacted them for a quote, for Soft-Light I need to know what product line to get to find the right dealer in my area (which I don't quite understand why they can't deal in all their windows?) I only have Barrington and Elements in my area from Soft-Light.

HomeSealed

#11 Post by HomeSealed »

Each manufacturer will generally have good/better/best products, and then multiple glass packages as well. Each dealer should have access to multiple options. The Gorell .48 u value that you mentioned is with clear glass, where as those other ratings are with Low-E and argon. The Gorell equivalent would be .30 or .29 depending on configuration.
Just take at look at the manufacturers that were mentioned, and see which you like, as well as which dealers you like.