Comfort World 4000 vs Pella 350

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
ptgtheman

Comfort World 4000 vs Pella 350

#1 Post by ptgtheman »

Hello,
I am going to be purchasing new windows for my home. I have been looking between Window World and Lowes. I have read negative and positive about both. I am too the point where I feel confident in either of them. My question now is about the products I am looking at vs. the prices.

Lowes-Pella 350, Vinyl, Single Hung window
8 windows, one being double which I am counting as two and two windows (bathrooms) being picture windows with obscured glass. Also I am getting a 6ft slider. The windows and doors have low e and argon and Lowes is going to replace the old trim with new hardie trim. This is going to run me 5500 and I will receive a 600 gift card that I will be using towards polycarbonate storm panels which will run me around 1100.

Window World-Comfort 4000, Vinyl, Double Hung windows
All the same type of windows except for them being double hung and it’s going to run me 4600 and they will install the hardie instead of putting up the old stuff if I purchase it (around 200) and cut it for them. They are also quoting me for aluminum storm panels at around 1400, I think they forgot to include the panels for the slider though so that number may jump up.
So either way I’ll probably be looking around 6000 with either type of storm protection. I am unsure which product is better and if for the same money at WW I should go for double hung even though I really don’t care about that feature. If it matters I live in central florida and my house is wood frame. Thanks for any advice you guys can offer me.

HomeSealed

Re: Comfort World 4000 vs Pella 350

#2 Post by HomeSealed »

My opinion is that you can do better. I'm not sure what leads you to feel confident about these choices other than that they are well-known "brands", but the fact is that both firms are known to pay installers less than the "going rate", and each product leaves something to be desired IMO... If I had to choose, I'd either bump up to the 6000 from WW, or go with the Pella.

ptgtheman

#3 Post by ptgtheman »

I meant that I was comfortable with either other the sales locations and installers. I have talked to several people I know who have had windows installed by the installers out of the location I am going to and they have had nothing but positive to say. I am unsure of the merchandise and what’s the better deal.

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

ptgtheman wrote:I meant that I was comfortable with either other the sales locations and installers. I have talked to several people I know who have had windows installed by the installers out of the location I am going to and they have had nothing but positive to say. I am unsure of the merchandise and what’s the better deal.
I am going to sound a bit like a broken record here but I am also not a fan of either.

The Pella 350 is a newer design from them and is a great advancement in terms of their vinyl offering, however, it still has a pocket sill.

The pocket sill is a huge drawback in my opinion and is what I would consider an Achilles heel when there are so many good slope sill windows out there. That all being said, the Excalibur (Alside - Window World 4000) is a fully welded sloped sill but has just as many other issues that probably add up to the net negative impact of a sloped sill.

You could inquire about the Window World 6000 (Alside Sheffield) for a comparison but it is a huge bulky window as compared to the Pella 350 and Window World 4000.

I realize this probably helps you exactly 0% but that is my honest impression. Is there any way you can look at some additional options?

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#5 Post by Window4U (IL) »

Not to be rude or confrontational, but I don't understand your choices. You couldn't have chosen two crappier window choices if you'd tried IMHO.

HomeSealed

#6 Post by HomeSealed »

ptgtheman wrote:I meant that I was comfortable with either other the sales locations and installers. I have talked to several people I know who have had windows installed by the installers out of the location I am going to and they have had nothing but positive to say. I am unsure of the merchandise and what’s the better deal.
The real question is: what qualifications do the people that you know have to make that assessment? Sure the windows probably look and function nicer than the old ones did, however, for all they know, they could be leaking water into the walls due to improper installation and then after 10 years of service-call and warranty-claim filled years, maybe they will be ready for the dump.... That's not to say that it IS the case, but how would you or your friends know whether it is or is not. When shopping for windows, your goal is to mitigate the chances of future problems, and end up with a quality product and install at a fair price... You choose a quality product based on the objective thermal and structural performance ratings, with consideration given to the manufacturer's history and reputation for quality. You choose an install company based also on the history and reputation, as well as knowledge of proper installation techniques, professional service, perceived trustworthiness, etc.
Given those parameters, I believe that you would be doing yourself a disservice if you don't at least take a look at another option or two, particularly one that would rank well in all of those areas. There are companies running around that gouge (IMO) on the price of a vinyl window ($1000+ea), however in the end, you would still be far better off overpaying for quality than buying a low-grade product because it is cheap. That said, if you do your due diligence in this process, you should be able to find a great product and installation for a good price, perhaps in the same range as your existing quotes.

ptgtheman

#7 Post by ptgtheman »

I have tried to open up my options and reach out to a few local windows sellers in my area. Right now I am waiting on a quote on some gorell windows. I have read more positive reviews of that brand. I was only limiting my options to those two windows and companies because of positive experiences friends of mine have had with their salesmen and installers. I also received a quote on the comfort world 6000 series which increases my quote by about $550.

HomeSealed

#8 Post by HomeSealed »

The Gorell product is worlds better than the other two options IMHO. You can also consider Softlite (who owns Gorell), HiMark/Okna, and Sunrise as top tier choices.

Windows on Washington

#9 Post by Windows on Washington »

+1

Spend the money once and get the best product that you can.