New to the Forum and a GAPCO Window question

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
WaveMan

New to the Forum and a GAPCO Window question

#1 Post by WaveMan »

Hello to all,
I am new to the forum and I need some direction. I checked the old forum for strings on the subject with little luck. I hope this is a legitamate post to the fourm.

I have GAPCO storm windows on my house that will be twelve years old this summer. I have four of the windows with the sashes leaking. Of course, it has the white film on the inside which looks terrible. I suspect the past Hurricanes might have pressed on the windows just enough to break the seals. I say this because the windows whose sashes are leaking are on the sides of the house that took the brunt of the wind and rain.

Rencently, I have searched over the internet only to find GAPCO is out of business, so finding a replacement sash is probably out of the question. My question is two fold to the forum:

1) Is there a company that has a replacement sash for a GAPCO double pane storm window that is brown in color? If not, is it possible that a company or person can repair the existing sashes?

2) If there is no one or company that can repair the existing sashes, can the old glass be replaced with new glass in the existing sash?

I have called around my area in Costal N. Carolina, and I get different answers. I am sure someone can say go buy new windows, but my other windows are just fine.

I greatly appreciate anyone taking the time to read my post. It is great to know there is a forum where questions pertaining to windows can be asked. Keep up the good work!
Thank you
Wave Man

P.S. If anyone does reply, can you please send me an email too. fcbey@hotmail.com
:D

JScott

#2 Post by JScott »

If your sashes are okay then change the glass only. We have a few in our area. These are actually aluminum windows. If you have the yellowish grills between the glass we have not been able to locate these. You will not find a replacement sash. Good luck, hope this helps.

WaveMan

GAPCO Brown Windows

#3 Post by WaveMan »

Hi,
I read that you still have some GAPCO storm windows in your area. The ones that I have are brown and have a brown cross piece between the panes in the sash. Can you tell me if these are the ones you have in your area?
Thank you