replacement windows in brooklyn ny

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
wenlibk

replacement windows in brooklyn ny

#1 Post by wenlibk »

I'm trying to replace 3 windows which are 36 width and 72 height. I just got consultations from homedepot for the prs 5100(750 per window), which i can't find much info on and a local contractor which uses majestic signature series (540 per window). Am I better off searching for another contractor, because there's not much info about the majestic windows and home depot's price is pricey. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

Re: replacement windows in brooklyn ny

#2 Post by masterext »

Not familiar with those windows but 750 per window for 3 windows in within the realm of reality and not pricey if its a decent vinyl offering.

toddinmn

#3 Post by toddinmn »

Are they capping the windows? Any other details?
You should investigate the subcontractor just the same as the contractor. Not uncommon for the subs to be using subs and the sub subs to be using subs.

HomeSealed

#4 Post by HomeSealed »

Good advice above. I'd say that both of those prices are within a "normal range", but there will be distinct differences in the quality of both the product and potentially the install company at each respective price point. The key is to make sure that you are getting good value for your dollar. $750 is too high for a box store install and mediocre product IMO, but may not be out of line for a great product and install by a reputable company. I'd shop around a little bit more. In your area you should have access to the top products on the market like Sunrise, Okna, Himark, Softlite, etc....
As Todd alluded to, the type of installation, option content, etc will contribute to the pricing as well.

wenlibk

#5 Post by wenlibk »

Thanks for the input. Their going to take care of the capping, same as the current windows I have. Homedepot has their own contractors, I believe they employ. The local shop has their own workers that install it. I've been scooping the net, can't find too many companies that actually advertise the type of windows they use

Randy

#6 Post by Randy »

I've been scooping the net, can't find too many companies that actually advertise the type of windows they use
They could be a privately labeled window. Many windows manufacturers will sell windows to a high volume dealer under a name that is exclusive to them. I'd suggest contacting them and asking what brand of window they're offering you.

HomeSealed

#7 Post by HomeSealed »

1) I have yet to find a box store that does not utilize a revolving door of subs. Nothing inherently wrong with subcontractors, provided that they are well paid, thoroughly vetted, etc. Box stores and bargain type outfits pay cut-rate prices, and therefore the pool of quality installers becomes suspect.
2) Find a few windows that you like FIRST. Then it is as easy as contacting the manufacturer for a referral to a dealer in your area... The other option would be to have multiple quotes and then try to research what product that they actually offered you.