Is this a acceptable cost for window replacement? Western MA

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
KSA250

Is this a acceptable cost for window replacement? Western MA

#1 Post by KSA250 »

$985.00 per window installed for Okna 500 series triple plane with ESP (didn't go with deluxe/foam filled frame in order to save $1,600 (an extra $100 per window) since this is for 16 double hungs). This includes "lead safe removal", disposal/complete cleanup. Home was built around 1938. 2 stories.

So total for these windows is $15,760.00 Install is being done by Vista Home Improvement which is highly rated on Angie's list.

This contractor initially didn't carry these windows, the 1st time we talked to them they were trying to sell us Vista Panorama windows. After doing some research I mentioned Okna to them and then they found that they can carry that window, and they brought the 800 over, but that was out of our target budget, being around the same price for double pane that the 500 series was for triple.

The contractor of course basically acts like they're the best windows installers on the face of the Earth (I guess no one would imagine someone is better OR just as good for less cost than themselves since they're in business like everyone else).

The contract is signed, as this was the 2nd time we had them come out, and we're still within the 3 day right to cancel. Just wanted to get some feedback on this to see if this cost is massively overpriced or just "on the high side", or "acceptable", because it seems that since the installer thinks so highly of themselves, they see no reason to offer a "deal" to anyone. That's my observation anyway. This is in Western Massachusetts.

Thanks for any feedback in advance.

TheWindowNerd

Re: Is this a acceptable cost for window replacement? Western MA

#2 Post by TheWindowNerd »

That is a difficult thing to say.
What color are the windows?
Do they have grids?
Any tempered glass?
What type of protocol for the RRP?
How large and complicated are the caps?

theWindowNerd...
Last edited by TheWindowNerd on Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

KSA250

#3 Post by KSA250 »

anthony wrote:That is a difficult thing to say.
What color are the windows?
White
anthony wrote:Do they have grids?
For the top half only.
anthony wrote:Any tempered glass?
Nope.
anthony wrote:What type of protocol for the RRP?
The contractor tested for lead paint and it showed positive so they said $75.00 per window for lead safe removal. There's no children at the residence. Not sure if there's anything else you're possibly referring to here.
anthony wrote:How large and complicated are the caps?
There is no capping being done whatsoever, because we would only do that if we got siding, didn't even want to get partial capping because we'd eventually be paying for it twice.

Windows are approximately 57" tall by 37" wide.

TheWindowNerd

#4 Post by TheWindowNerd »

If you still have strong questions or doubts about the contract that you signed get one or two more quotes for the same window.

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

I would say that is, based on what you describe, probably on the higher end of what we normally hear about.

Make no mistake though...I have heard and seen higher numbers out of folks pushing lesser windows.

That is a very good window and if the install is correct, it should serve you for a lifetime of usage. I agree with anthony that you do not want to go into this contract with doubts though. If you need to talk to the contractor or revisit the process, most contractors are happy to re-engage and discuss.

HomeSealed

#6 Post by HomeSealed »

Good advice above.
That is a great window. The pricing, while within the range of what is normally seen, is probably on the higher end. Nitty-gritty details on the installation circumstances etc would really be needed to comment more precisely.

KSA250

#7 Post by KSA250 »

HomeSealed wrote:Good advice above.
That is a great window. The pricing, while within the range of what is normally seen, is probably on the higher end. Nitty-gritty details on the installation circumstances etc would really be needed to comment more precisely.
Ok well, there is a lot more being done that just this, but I didn't mention the entirety of the job because not everyone might be familiar with these other products that are part of the overall cost. I just went off of what the contractor said when I asked him "how much for one of these windows, installed?" So here's the entirety of contract, there were no other nitty-gritty details mentioned:

"Remove all window units. Repair any wet, soft, or rotted wood in sills and framework. Install 16 double hung Insul-tech 500 series windows by Okna in white. All units 3x pane ESP w/grids top sash. Install 4 Okna hoppers & 1 Mercury 2-lite slider (basement). Insulate weight pockets & frame perimeters. Lead safe removal, no exterior capping. Install 1 .22 gauge Legacy steel entry door in white (Model #206 DL (sp)). Install 1 Provia deluxe storm door in white (Model #379). Install 2 2-lite slider 1 3-lite slider 1 picture storm window by Provia (side porch). New seamless aluminum gutters and downspouts with DVS gutter filter. Dispose all old windows & debris + perform complete cleanup. Lifetime warranty on all material + workmanship.

Total cost for above: $24,082

HomeSealed

#8 Post by HomeSealed »

Is there a lot of bad wood to replace? Are they going to R&R the casing to foam the perimeter? If so, what kind of casing is it? Will they then fill nail holes and do touch ups? Still probably sounds high, but it sounds like they are proposing a very thorough and detailed job, which = $$$. If you like the company and the product and it fits your budget, you could definitely do worse. For instance, I know of a company that sold the same exact window that you can get for $189 for an average of about $1200 per opening. Granted, you probably get a better installation, but you get the point... Perhaps you simply let the company know that you like what they have to offer, but you need them to do a little better on price and see what they come up with... That is assuming of course that you are not past the 3 day window to cancel. If you are, I'd just say again that you most certainly could have done worse. That is one of the top performing products on the market and what sounds like a quality installation. If you think about it from the perspective of a 30+ year service life, I'd much rather go with superior quality over saving a few bucks.

Randy

#9 Post by Randy »

Just because a price sounds to be on the higher end of what is the norm doesn't mean you should back out of the contract that you signed. Yes, there is a three day right of cancellation, but unless you felt pressured into signing, found out that the contractor was deceptive, or have determined that you really can't afford the job, it's not a good idea to go back on your word. It can make the working relationship a little uncomfortable and that's never a good thing between a contractor and the homeowner.

The fact is, we're being put in the position of second guessing a company that has seen the job and knows the amount of work required, while we don't. The fact that they specified insulating the weight pockets and perimeter of the windows tells me they are a notch above your average installer already.

Your getting one of the best vinyl windows on the market and what sounds like a good install, so I'd suggest sticking with the contract as is.

Unless the pricing is ridiculously high, it's not fair of us to second guess the pricing structure of another company that knows more than we do about the job, and what's required to do it right.

TheWindowNerd

#10 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Based on your post from Tue morning I really have to wholely agree with Randy.

Randy: Well said with wisdom.

HomeSealed

#11 Post by HomeSealed »

Great points randy. I'd stress the part about not feeling pressured or deceived, as unfortunately that is how many companies do business these days, but your comments are very valid and sound advice.