Top 3 Replacement Windows in "Value" segment - Suggestions ?

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
DaVille

Top 3 Replacement Windows in "Value" segment - Suggestions ?

#1 Post by DaVille »

I live in Kentucky am looking for a good quality window replacement for (24) windows in an older brick home built in 1940s. It is a rental property currently, but I am interested in getting something that will last and not just putting poor quality in the home.

* Home currently has original wood, old growth windows, many of which are in decent shape on inside. Hurts me to pull them all out and replace with vinyl. But, I know that is the best to eliminate upkeep long term.
* My budget is around 8-10K or about $300-400 per window installed.
* Will likely go with a vinyl replacement
* Would consider wood tilt-packs but probably not feasible for the price
* Have spoken to 2 very reputable window contractors in area and gotten quotes on Alside Fusion and Mezzo. Also, another one is Vinyl Kraft Legacy and Trust Guard models, respectively.
* Alside Fusion was about 8K (333 ea) installed and Mezzo was 8.6K (358ea) installed
* Vinyl Kraft was about 8K (333 ea) for Legacy and 10K for Trust Guard
* The Legacy had same warranties as the higher line TrustGuard but had very thin frame and structure and the bottom sash glass is not even aligned with the top glass. It is about 1/2" off on both sides. This is normal based on the 1 1/2" frame v. 2" frame on the lower sash in most windows and TrustGuard. So, that bothers me, from a sightline standpoint, on the Legacy. I really like the quality of the Trust Guard but don't want to spend the 10K, extra 2K. Vinyl Kraft seems like a very good regional company with quality product and very responsive when I called their customer service to ask lots of questions. Plus, I like their warranty.
* Alside seems to have higher end literature and marketing, more professional but have read some poor reviews on long term of their product.
* I haven't looked at Simonton yet or tried to get a local contractor. I am doing that today.
* I feel very comfortable with both contractors for Alside and Vinyl Kraft since they both have excellent reputations long term here.

Any feedback or suggestions to help in my decision making or other suggestions for top "value" line windows ?

I have called Anderson (650-800), Marvin dealers (800-1000) and looked at the dog and pony shows of Window World and America's window. I will never buy from Window World or America's Windows due to their sales tactics. The others, Anderson and Marvin, are too high for me.

Randy

Re: Top 3 Replacement Windows in "Value" segment - Suggestions ?

#2 Post by Randy »

Simonton is probably your best bet, given the price range you'’re limited to. I’d avoid Alside, even for a rental property. Don’t know anything about Vinyl Kraft, so can’t help there.

TheWindowNerd

#3 Post by TheWindowNerd »

One of the quality guides that I use is the test results from the structural test of the window.
I would suggest an AI of .05 or less.

TheWindowNerd.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#4 Post by masterext »

Getting a quality window installed for 300-400 per window is very unrealistic. You would need to increase your budget or break it up. Maybe do 12 windows now and next year do another 12.

DaVille

#5 Post by DaVille »

masterext wrote:Getting a quality window installed for 300-400 per window is very unrealistic. You would need to increase your budget or break it up. Maybe do 12 windows now and next year do another 12.
What do you consider a "quality" window in the value segment ?

On Consumer Reports, Simonton ProFinish Contractor, Anderson American Craftsman 70 Series and Reliabilt (3301, 3900) all have very good ratings and installed should be around$ $300-$400 per window, installed.

Thanks for your feedback.

Delaware Mike

#6 Post by Delaware Mike »

Consumer Reports can only test so many different windows so they limit their field to products offered on a national distribution and available basis. This rules out pretty much all of the quality products and manufacturers in regards to vinyl as many of the better manufacturers aren't set up for that kind of distribution. CR is fine for checking out a new blender or washing machine, but when it comes to windows they couldn't be more clueless.

I would rule out anything from American Classic/Silverline as that's not a real Andersen product and it's the same "kill" window that they own upper end divisions utilize to talk folks out of ever purchasing vinyl windows. I'm not a fan of the lower end Simonton lines, but it may be one of your only options with that budget. Finding more of a local mom and pop type window dealer would be your best bet as they may have a low enough overhead business model to try to accommodate your budget.

I don't like the high volume $189 a window types of outfits as what they tend to give folks for about $400 a window is a $100 window installed by a sub making $50 and the workmanship is typically pretty lousy.

Folks in my home county that hire general contractors to have windows installed never ask more than "do the windows tilt for cleaning" and have thermal glass" from these contractors. I see these guys at the local lumber yards and building supply centers every day. They order whatever they feel comfortable with and whatever is usually the cheapest thing they can get that will not give them problems. ViWinco, North East, Simonton, Slocumb, and Ideal seem to be favorites of contractors in my area and all aren't worth anything more than $400 a hole in my opinion based upon the workmanship that I see out of a contractor doing windows that specialize in them.

When one can step up to like an OKNA Precision Weld 400 series, Soft-Lite Barrington, Bainbridge, Classic/Pro, or Vytex product you will start to see much better air leakage numbers and better overall quality. These manufacturers typically prefer to stay with window pros rather than wholesale distribution centers and the products do cost more so meeting a sub $400 install is really challenging.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#7 Post by masterext »

Any window guy worth his salt will attest to the fact that andersen vinyl windows ( silverline, american craftsman) are total garbage. Reliabilt is another example of a low quality window.
Looking at consumer reports for window recommendations is a lot like asking a painter to perform heart surgery.

DaVille

#8 Post by DaVille »

masterext wrote:Any window guy worth his salt will attest to the fact that andersen vinyl windows ( silverline, american craftsman) are total garbage. Reliabilt is another example of a low quality window.
Looking at consumer reports for window recommendations is a lot like asking a painter to perform heart surgery.

What is the lowest priced line and model that you install and recommend for someone that has a rental or just doesn't have the money for a higher priced window ?

TheWindowNerd

#9 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Delaware Mike answered your question.
Okna 400DX
Soft-lite classic/Pro
Etc.
Please look at the test results to know what you are buying.

theWindowNerd.

mayallen

#10 Post by mayallen »

Whenever you are choosing windows for replacement you should first check out how well the window will be able to block out heat from outside. There will be a number called Solar Heat Gain Coefficient number.This number gives you an estimate at how well the window is able to block or absorb the sun. If you live somewhere where it is cold then you can concentrate more on the U factor number.This number will tell how efficient your window is, lower the number better is the windows capability of trapping the heat inside your house. If you are looking for energy efficient windows then fiberglass would be a good option due to its durability, wood and aluminium should be avoided. They may look great as exterior doors but you would have to pay a lot for their maintenance.

HomeSealed

#11 Post by HomeSealed »

I'd agree with the products mentioned and other sentiments above. $300-$400 is not a realistic price to pay for a quality window, installation, and company. You will be lucky to check 2 of those 3 boxes at that price, but often it's none. The difference in product quality/price is what most people look at, but there is a significant difference in installation as well. Around here there is a swing of over 300% from the lower end to higher end installers. If the cheap guys did even a competent job everyone would use them.

Ldtd

#12 Post by Ldtd »

Delaware Mikes web site ?[blive in south jersey & interested in the okna 500 or the 800 & looks like you know your windows![/b]
Delaware Mike wrote:Consumer Reports can only test so many different windows so they limit their field to products offered on a national distribution and available basis. This rules out pretty much all of the quality products and manufacturers in regards to vinyl as many of the better manufacturers aren't set up for that kind of distribution. CR is fine for checking out a new blender or washing machine, but when it comes to windows they couldn't be more clueless.

I would rule out anything from American Classic/Silverline as that's not a real Andersen product and it's the same "kill" window that they own upper end divisions utilize to talk folks out of ever purchasing vinyl windows. I'm not a fan of the lower end Simonton lines, but it may be one of your only options with that budget. Finding more of a local mom and pop type window dealer would be your best bet as they may have a low enough overhead business model to try to accommodate your budget.

I don't like the high volume $189 a window types of outfits as what they tend to give folks for about $400 a window is a $100 window installed by a sub making $50 and the workmanship is typically pretty lousy.

Folks in my home county that hire general contractors to have windows installed never ask more than "do the windows tilt for cleaning" and have thermal glass" from these contractors. I see these guys at the local lumber yards and building supply centers every day. They order whatever they feel comfortable with and whatever is usually the cheapest thing they can get that will not give them problems. ViWinco, North East, Simonton, Slocumb, and Ideal seem to be favorites of contractors in my area and all aren't worth anything more than $400 a hole in my opinion based upon the workmanship that I see out of a contractor doing windows that specialize in them.

When one can step up to like an OKNA Precision Weld 400 series, Soft-Lite Barrington, Bainbridge, Classic/Pro, or Vytex product you will start to see much better air leakage numbers and better overall quality. These manufacturers typically prefer to stay with window pros rather than wholesale distribution centers and the products do cost more so meeting a sub $400 install is really challenging.

TheWindowNerd

#13 Post by TheWindowNerd »

There are guys who you can trust and are the best at what they do.
DEMike is that guy.