Miracle Glass Windows by Window Pros - Please help !!!!

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
mlgonsalv

Miracle Glass Windows by Window Pros - Please help !!!!

#1 Post by mlgonsalv »

I live in VA. Anyone heard of this company based in Penn.
Also, what would be a fair price for those windows. The company website is http://www.windowpros.net.
I had salesman come over and gave me an estimate on 15 double Hung and 1 BAY windows for 13,500. I this a good price for these windows. Also, as I was told that their warranties are one of the best. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Mike

PS: Windows are by Regency Plus Incorporated. The window is "Tech 2000 Series 1712" with PVC Vinyl Frame, Double Glazing, Argon, Low-E. U-factor = 0.30/ SHGC= 0.29 / VT= 0.51 / Air Leakage= 0.2 / Condensation Resistance = 57

This is a great site for anyone who wants an energy efficient replacement windows depending on their geographical location. I highly encourage everyone to take a look and consider the energy efficient windows in your state.

http://www.efficientwindows.org/selection.cfm :idea:
Last edited by mlgonsalv on Wed Aug 10, 2005 10:28 am, edited 2 times in total.

researcher

#2 Post by researcher »

Miracle Glass is the latest in window technology and is the most efficient product on the market. A seven layer anatomic sputtering process of various metals and coatings, and a tempering process which heats the glass to nearly 2,400 degrees then brings it back to room temperature within 2.3 seconds makes Miracle glass not only the most energy efficient product on the market but also virtually unbreakable. Protecting your home and your family is our number one priority. No other company offers you Miracle Glass technology.

The above is off there website. Sounds interesting; wondering if anyone here is familair with technology.

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#3 Post by Window4U (IL) »

Wow,.... a center of glass R value of 4.5 and a u-value of .30 :roll:

JScott

#4 Post by JScott »

AFG TI-AC40, insulated glass U=0.24. You bet we are watching new technology.

Cheryl (Fenessa)

#5 Post by Cheryl (Fenessa) »

Something isn't right - since R and U are reciprocals of one another, an R of 4.5 does not equal a U of .30

mlgonsalv

#6 Post by mlgonsalv »

Cheryl (Fenessa) wrote:Something isn't right - since R and U are reciprocals of one another, an R of 4.5 does not equal a U of .30

R value at the center is 7.5. I guess this is real good.

Cheryl (Fenessa)

#7 Post by Cheryl (Fenessa) »

Something still wrong - an R of 7.5 would equal a U of .1333

windowrep

#8 Post by windowrep »

cheryl, that is called number selling. 5 more minutes of numbers and you are totally confused, i am totally confused but some people just like numbers. put in big numbers here and little ones here and you have a sale. has anyone [in sales] actually had a homeowner ask them the u-factor of their windows?

JScott

#9 Post by JScott »

Actually I have had 3 maybe 4 people ask about U-values within the past year. The internet is wonderful for information gathering when purchasing almost anything these days. Some other companies are using the numbers game as well. If you actually apply the U values they do make since.

The DOE explains 50% of home fuel bills are directly related to windows. A $250 average bill per month has $125 related to windows. Replacing clear IG units which have a U-value @ 0.50 with a unit with a U value of 0.24 should therefore result in a reduction of $60-65 per month. Two years ago we installed 2 homes with triple pane glass with a U value of 0.24, One in September and one in March. One is a friend and one a relative. Both homes 1200-1600 square foot and built in the 60's. Both of them reported a savings of $60 as soon as we installed the units. This past winter both folks did not turn there heat on until a week after we had to.

There is alot more to the equations I understand, both homes were brick, etc... When I plug in my home numbers into the efficientwindows sight they tell me my annual heating cost should be $934 or something close. I had the oil company fill my 500 gallon tanks twice before christmas, the 1st time at 1.68 per gallon and the second at 1.89 per gallon, each fill was for 430- 450 gallons. My total fuel bill for last season was more like $3000 plus dollars.

With the new energy bill Bush is proposing to make more energy. I am becoming more of a triple pane or should I say U less than than 0.25 every day, however you can get it. I believe the products are there for greatly reducing fuel usage and your great great grandkids will thank us. Polar icecaps in 2100 are expected to be non-existant in the summer months, will it or wont it be I will not ever know.

Yes I want people asking about U values and as more do we will be forced to learn about them ourselves. Energy efficiency is the primary reason people replace windows. U value is a large part of that.

I may not the understanding many here do about the numbers but I know I am going in the right direction. Many new homes in our area use clear IG. I am beginning to believe the best time to replace your windows is before the builder chooses them. Triple pane in new construction makes since, you have to buy windows at that point anyway, spend a little more on the most efficient glazing option.

Again, these are just my opinions.

Randy

U Value - R Value

#10 Post by Randy »

Cheryl, R-values are calculated at the center of glass only. U-Values are calculated on the entire window. If you take the U-Value and convert it to an R-value, you will have the true R-Value of the entire window. When you are reading about a window's R-Value you are almost always getting the value at the center of the glass, which is inflated.

windowrep

#11 Post by windowrep »

jscott, i agree , but there just has to be an easier way to list everything and compare windows. i have had people tell me they have had window companies come to their house and tell them their window is r- 18. it has got to the point i printed out the manufacturer list from the nfrc website because so many companies tell people they are the manufacturer of their own windows. b.s. sell and install quaility and you wont have to mislead or confuse people. i tell people all the time that spend 15 minutes on the internet and you will find out exactly what to look for in replacement windows.

JScott

#12 Post by JScott »

Thank you windowrep. I would rather lose a sale than buffalo someone. As I see it, we just need to be a little smarter and give the customers the facts and hope they are intelligent enough to see through the smoke and mirrors. I actually told a customer last week after I felt they were initially uneasy that my dog had died and we had to put the pony down, so I had no show for them.

Randy, great post for Cheryl.

Keep in mind that if the glass size is 1" x 1" that the center and edge will be really really close(this is my warped humor).

Have a great weekend both of you.

Oberon

Miracle Windows

#13 Post by Oberon »

Based entirely on what researcher copied from the "miracle windows" website, I wouldn't touch that company with a 10' pole!

First, the "seven layer anatomic sputtering process of various metals and coatings" is simply stating that they have a softcoat LowE coating...okay.
But, the "seven-layer" coating is actually older and less efficient technology. The newer LowE2 coatings range from 11 to 13 layers depending on the manufactuer of the coating.

Next, their description of tempering glass "tempering process which heats the glass to nearly 2,400 degrees then brings it back to room temperature within 2.3 seconds" defies several basic laws of physics. Tempered glass is taken up to about 1200 to 1300 degrees and then it is rapidly cooled, but not 2.3 sceonds to room temperature, and certainly not from "2400" degrees. At 2400 degrees, you have a pool of liquid "glass".

The most interesting thing about the information from their website is that the person who wrote it has no concept of what they are trying to say. :roll:

Cheryl

#14 Post by Cheryl »

I asked everyone of the salesmen that came to my house what the U value of there window was during my window shopping. Many of them wanted to talk or give me the R value, and when I would tell them that I wanted the U value, most either did not know it, or had to get back to me with that info. I had to explain to several of them why the U value was a more informative number to me (whole glass , not just the center) and most of them either looked suprised that I knew that, and the rest were learning it from me. After educating myself through this website, I was amazed at what salesmen didn't know or could not answer about there own windows. I really only spoke to maybe 2 salesmen that could answer all of my questions. If they were all as good, honest and knowledgable as guys like Windows4U and several others on this site, then we would all probably feel a little more confident and comfortable with the salesmen out there.

pmerlet

Miracle Glass - Worth a Look?

#15 Post by pmerlet »

I picked up a gazette today in central Florida. Inside was an advertisement from a window replacement company that's a division of a construction company. The construction company checks out on the BBB. The ad says, featuring Miracle Glass Window System. It uses the same tag line and graphics as on the Window Pros website.

And then the punch lines:
1. Withstands 150+ MPH winds (no mention of impact resistance)
2. True Lifetime Warranty ... free replacement (including screens)
3. Guaranteed 40% savings on energy bills

I read the thread below and am not sure if the comments are serious or sarcastic or what. And the thread is 8 months old.

Is Miracle Glass the miracle they claim or should it be avoided like the plague? Is this worth looking into?