Window Replacement Help

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
georgen

Window Replacement Help

#1 Post by georgen »

I am replacing windows in two houses. First house got 7 Windows, I brought homedepote, lower, and independent company Allied Siding and Windows. Home Depot was very expensive for Simontons windows so I forgot about them.
Lowes gave me estimate of $4150 for Reliabilt 3900 with lifetime warranty for breakage and labor not service call or any fees
Allied Siding and Windows estimate of $4300 for Simonton Duration with 100 year warranty for breakage and labor with $75 service call.

Which option would be better as of the windows type? Is there a big different between Simonton and Reliabilt?
Thanks

Windows on Washington

Re: Window Replacement Help

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

In that comparison, the Simonton is the better window if they were quoting the 6500 series.

Are you in Texas and if so, what part?

georgen

#3 Post by georgen »

In Dallas Area

georgen

#4 Post by georgen »

Windows on Washington wrote:In that comparison, the Simonton is the better window if they were quoting the 6500 series.

Are you in Texas and if so, what part?
The estimate said Duration but it does not mention a series number for the window.

Randy

#5 Post by Randy »

Simonton makes a decent mid-grade vinyl window. Some equivalent products would be NT’s Pesidential, Energy Master or Traditions series. For premium grade vinyl, Sunrise is available in DFW and Okna soon will be as well.

I would never recommend the big box stores for window replacement, nor Reliabilt.

HomeSealed

#6 Post by HomeSealed »

All good recommendations above. Stay out of the big boxes unless you don't mind low-paid installers and product that pushes mid-grade at best.

On product, Simonton's higher end 5500/6500 is a reasonably decent middle of the road choice, it looks like Randy cited some others for you as well.

georgen

#7 Post by georgen »

Thanks everyone for your help. Just wondering are reliabilt not a good windows? And if I compare the Reliabilt 3900 vs Simonton Duration which one is better. The duration does not have a series number.

HomeSealed

#8 Post by HomeSealed »

Yes Simonton is better, and no, Reliabilt is not highly regarded, nor do its thermal and structural ratings compare well with better options.

On the Simonton specifics, they use model names depending on which dealer network or distributor they are sold through. They should still have a number designation for that model though.

toddinmn

#9 Post by toddinmn »

HomeSealed wrote:Yes Simonton is better, and no, Reliabilt is not highly regarded, nor do its thermal and structural ratings compare well with better options.

On the Simonton specifics, they use model names depending on which dealer network or distributor they are sold through. They should still have a number designation for that model though.
The 3900 has a DP 60, 0.08 air and 0.29 U, not world beating but perhaps better than Simonton?

Windows on Washington

#10 Post by Windows on Washington »

That's not half bad Todd. Who would have thunk it that Reliabilt makes 10 lines of garbage and one decent one. I am always amazed by manufacturers that do that. Perplexing to say the least.

The numbers Todd posted are actually mid grade. In that comparison, the Simonton would be about even with them.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#11 Post by masterext »

Windows on Washington wrote:That's not half bad Todd. Who would have thunk it that Reliabilt makes 10 lines of garbage and one decent one. I am always amazed by manufacturers that do that. Perplexing to say the least.

The numbers Todd posted are actually mid grade. In that comparison, the Simonton would be about even with them.
First off, that window, the reliabilt, is extremely bulky which adds to the DP. Its also loaded up with unsightly fuzzy pads which of course helps( cheat) with the air infiltration rating; until the fuzzy pads fall off. To me, its a very cheap looking window.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#12 Post by masterext »

Windows on Washington wrote:That's not half bad Todd. Who would have thunk it that Reliabilt makes 10 lines of garbage and one decent one. I am always amazed by manufacturers that do that. Perplexing to say the least.

First off, that window, the reliabilt, is extremely bulky which adds to the DP. Its also loaded up with unsightly fuzzy pads which of course helps( cheat) with the air infiltration rating; until the fuzzy pads fall off. To me, its a very cheap looking window.

georgen

#13 Post by georgen »

So I contacted the company and they told me it is the same window as the 9800 series. They will give me 100 years warranty and for the breakage or anything happen during that I only pay $75 service call.
Lowes offered the reliabilt 3900 for $4133 with life time warranty on everything and no service call.
The other company said they will match the price for the Simonton Duration which is the 9800 series with 100 years warranty and $75 service call.

HomeSealed

#14 Post by HomeSealed »

toddinmn wrote:
HomeSealed wrote:Yes Simonton is better, and no, Reliabilt is not highly regarded, nor do its thermal and structural ratings compare well with better options.

The 3900 has a DP 60, 0.08 air and 0.29 U, not world beating but perhaps better than Simonton?
Those numbers are surprisingly decent from a company that has a lower end reputation, but I'd still take the Simonton if I was forced to choose. The dp60 is very good, but not sure how impressive it is when they boast a "4 1/4" frame thickness as though that is a good thing. If I wanted to look out a porthole, it had better be on a Caribbean cruise, not my living room window.

As alluded to above, both are mid-range at best, but Simonton is definitely the more proven option

WindowsDirectCinci

#15 Post by WindowsDirectCinci »

georgen wrote:I am replacing windows in two houses. First house got 7 Windows, I brought homedepote, lower, and independent company Allied Siding and Windows. Home Depot was very expensive for Simontons windows so I forgot about them.
Lowes gave me estimate of $4150 for Reliabilt 3900 with lifetime warranty for breakage and labor not service call or any fees
Allied Siding and Windows estimate of $4300 for Simonton Duration with 100 year warranty for breakage and labor with $75 service call.

Which option would be better as of the windows type? Is there a big different between Simonton and Reliabilt?
Thanks
I'd keep looking. I just don't understand how people dont consider aesthetic appeal when looking at windows. Both of those windows are horrid and I'd rule it out based on that alone. They could give me free triple pane and a 500 year warranty and I'd still pass. If forced I'd go with Simonton though, and would definetly want to see the lowes warranty in writing. It historically has been pretty weak. They are nothing more than a middle man. They don't install and don't make the window? The only thing they do is have foot traffic