Burris Windows in DFW with Cardinal Glass LoE-340?

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
RichardDFW

Burris Windows in DFW with Cardinal Glass LoE-340?

#1 Post by RichardDFW »

We need to replace our builder grade windows in Dallas. Eventually it will be all 48 windows.

Initially we will start with 13 windows that get full sun all day.

7 picture windows. 42x72
1 Slider
5 Casements 36x64

We've had quotes from RBA (+$35K), Marvin - mix of Integrity All Ultrex & Infinity (+$19K), and a contractor that has replaced windows in several homes in the area. He uses Burris windows. ~$9K

I understand Burris hasn't gotten strong recommendations into the past, but most of those posts are dated. The Burris contractor was the most knowledgeable of the bunch. As we walked through the house he knew which windows were required by code to be tempered and why. Neither RBA nor Marvin mentioned it. I assume that when their installer would come out to double check the measurements prior to order placement that they would then re-bid the project with the correct window code requirements which would drive the cost up more? Oversight or planned who knows?

Has anyone experience with LoE-340?

The Burris quote was for vinyl Tectview EX. It also included using different dimensions for the glass, 3/16" and OAT 3/4" for the two panes to reduce noise. Any recent experience with Burris windows? Would this vinyl window size hold up in the Texas heat?

Thanks.

Windows on Washington

Re: Burris Windows in DFW with Cardinal Glass LoE-340?

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Low-e 340 is a Cardinal coating. Do you really need that low a VT and SHGC in that case? It is going to be a good bit darker.

http://www.cardinalcorp.com/technology/ ... nce-stats/

There is a good poster by the name of Randy that knows Texas offerings the best. I will wait for him to chime in.

Randy

#3 Post by Randy »

Nothing’s changed for me, it’s still not a window that I would recommend. The narrow frames are appealing, but giving up heft and stability is never a good trade-off in the extreme heat of Texas when it comes to vinyl.

I think you’d be overpaying at that price, and there are better options out there. Sunrise has dealers in DFW, and Okna will soon have one or two as well. For mid-grade vinyl, look at NT’s Presidential, Traditions, or Energy Master.

RichardDFW

#4 Post by RichardDFW »

Randy.

Thanks for your response.

So for windows of the size I am looking for would you recommend Sunrise? Is their Vinyl superior?

We don't plan on moving so I need these to last 15-20 years.

What are your thoughts on LoE-340 with south facing windows that get full sun all day in Texas?

Thanks.

Randy

#5 Post by Randy »

Sunrise is a superior window to be sure, and their casements are the nicest in the industry IMO.

No, I don’t think you need 340 at all, 366 would be my choice. With Cardinal Glass, the last two numbers are the VLT. I’d rather have 66% of the light than 40%, given the rather modest improvement in SHGC.

Before you make your final decision, I’d at least look at Don Young’s thermally-broken aluminum windows.

RichardDFW

#6 Post by RichardDFW »

http://www.cardinalcorp.com/technology/ ... nce-stats/

https://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?fu ... ate_submit

The Links are from Energy Star and Cardinal Glass.

Dallas is South-Central Climate Zone and to meet the Energy Star requirements it needs an SHGC requirement of .25 or less.

The link to Cardinal glass shows an SHGC of .27 with LoE-366 and .17 with LoE-340. So based on this LoE-366 doesn't qualify?

For Sunrise - Did you mean Sunrise Restorations? Would you recommend the Omega 12 with Argon Gas? It shows a SHGC of .21, it also has the option of adding an interior Low-E. Would you recommend that as well?

Thanks

WindowsDirectCinci

#7 Post by WindowsDirectCinci »

RichardDFW wrote:http://www.cardinalcorp.com/technology/ ... nce-stats/

https://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?fu ... ate_submit

The Links are from Energy Star and Cardinal Glass.

Dallas is South-Central Climate Zone and to meet the Energy Star requirements it needs an SHGC requirement of .25 or less.

The link to Cardinal glass shows an SHGC of .27 with LoE-366 and .17 with LoE-340. So based on this LoE-366 doesn't qualify?

For Sunrise - Did you mean Sunrise Restorations? Would you recommend the Omega 12 with Argon Gas? It shows a SHGC of .21, it also has the option of adding an interior Low-E. Would you recommend that as well?

Thanks
Omega 12 and 366 is the same glass as sunrise uses Cardinal igs. The shgc your quoting for Cardinal is the glass only. Energy star ratings takes into account the window frames and sashes. Basically any window with the 366 glass would meet that threshold pretty easily

Randy

#8 Post by Randy »

Sunrise has three window lines that are good choices: Restorations, Vanguard, Verde

WDC is correct in regards to SHGC. Additionally, the Energy Star program is on the chopping block in President Trump’s budget, so it’s days may be numbered anyway. The new numbers put too much emphasis on U-value for our area, so I hope it’s gone soon.