Window and siding replacement order

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
mrholty

Window and siding replacement order

#1 Post by mrholty »

Hello-

My mother is looking to upgrade her exteriors as the house is 40 years old and needs repair. We live in Wisconsin so winter weather is an issue. She wants to work with a local GC from her church who I have met. By all accounts he does a good job and is fair. He is also a good salesmen. (My mom complained about her front door lock sticking - and he came out the next day and fixed it for her for free)

Here is the situation.
The house is a raised ranch house and is about 1400 sq. ft on the interior. I do not have exterior dimensions.
There are a total of 9 windows and 1 sliding patio door. The exterior is made up of plywood that has grooves (vertically) and been painted on. Woodpeckers have made holes in the house and built a few nests in insulation behind it. She has had some mouse issues as well. My belief is that due to limited funds (about $25k) available she should focus on the siding first and then windows. The GC told her to do the opposite as the siding would have to come off around the window anyway.

Here is his proposed process and prices.
Cost of removal and installation - $10k
Window Choices (Anderson 400, Pella or Marvin). My mother prefers the Pella which is an Aluminum Clad exterior (not vinyl like the others) and pine interior. - Cost $14k (Anderson and Marvin were $16k.

$24k seems like a lot for combined. My mother is concerned about another builder as she got a quote for a cabinet guy 10 years ago and the guy came on to her in her house (she lives alone and is 70).

My mom can afford the $24k but that does not fix her siding issue. He has quoted her another $30k to add insulation to the siding (not remove the old) then wrap and then add the Vinyl siding. That she cannot afford for several more years.

Does anyone have any idea of why he would not remove the siding, instead using that as a nailable location to put up the insulation, tyvek and then vinyl?

Windows on Washington

Re: Window and siding replacement order

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

mrholty wrote:Hello-

My mother is looking to upgrade her exteriors as the house is 40 years old and needs repair. We live in Wisconsin so winter weather is an issue. She wants to work with a local GC from her church who I have met. By all accounts he does a good job and is fair. He is also a good salesmen. (My mom complained about her front door lock sticking - and he came out the next day and fixed it for her for free)

Here is the situation.
The house is a raised ranch house and is about 1400 sq. ft on the interior. I do not have exterior dimensions.
There are a total of 9 windows and 1 sliding patio door. The exterior is made up of plywood that has grooves (vertically) and been painted on. Woodpeckers have made holes in the house and built a few nests in insulation behind it. She has had some mouse issues as well. My belief is that due to limited funds (about $25k) available she should focus on the siding first and then windows. The GC told her to do the opposite as the siding would have to come off around the window anyway.

Here is his proposed process and prices.
Cost of removal and installation - $10k
Window Choices (Anderson 400, Pella or Marvin). My mother prefers the Pella which is an Aluminum Clad exterior (not vinyl like the others) and pine interior. - Cost $14k (Anderson and Marvin were $16k.

$24k seems like a lot for combined. My mother is concerned about another builder as she got a quote for a cabinet guy 10 years ago and the guy came on to her in her house (she lives alone and is 70).

My mom can afford the $24k but that does not fix her siding issue. He has quoted her another $30k to add insulation to the siding (not remove the old) then wrap and then add the Vinyl siding. That she cannot afford for several more years.

Does anyone have any idea of why he would not remove the siding, instead using that as a nailable location to put up the insulation, tyvek and then vinyl?
54K for windows and siding on a 1,400 sq/ft ranch? Who needs enemies with friends like that.

No offense, but that is ludicrous when she has obvious issues that need addressing.

Where in the state of cheese is she located?

Randy

#3 Post by Randy »

WoW’s right, it sounds ridiculously high, unless their’s something we’re missing. If HomeSealed serves your area, he would be a great resource for you on this.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#4 Post by masterext »

For that price I'm assuming Bret Favre is doing the install?

mrholty

#5 Post by mrholty »

Randy wrote:WoW’s right, it sounds ridiculously high, unless their’s something we’re missing. If HomeSealed serves your area, he would be a great resource for you on this.

Thanks. I'll look up HomeSealed. I looked at their website and it appears they are in MKE area and not in the Madison area. Maybe he can recommend someone.

Windows on Washington

#6 Post by Windows on Washington »

I would definitely give him a ring. I think he has taken on projects out in your parts for previous forum users or has at least helped manage/direct the project.

TheWindowNerd

#7 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Brandon will help if he can.
Great man running a great company- HomeSealed.

theWindowNerd.

mrholty

#8 Post by mrholty »

I've reached out to Brandon and his company today and had a nice conversation to see if they service this area as I originally heard nothing back from him when I tried to contact him through this website last week.

However, I realize that I have a problem with my mother. She has $$$$$ taste with a $$ budget. From scoping this forum I think she has enough money to be able to get good quality vinyl windows and someone to do a proper siding installation. She knows the new windows (whatever she chooses) will be an improvement over her 40 year old windows but she really likes the wood interior of her windows (they feel sturdy and look nice) vs the thin vinyl windows in my home.

Looking at Okna's website you can tell it was built by engineers (which is good & bad) vs looking at replacement by Anderson (another option my mother is considering) where their website is selling a feeling. Its hard for vague techinal specs which may be of dubious correctness to overcome.

Windows on Washington

#9 Post by Windows on Washington »

mrholty wrote:I've reached out to Brandon and his company today and had a nice conversation to see if they service this area as I originally heard nothing back from him when I tried to contact him through this website last week.

However, I realize that I have a problem with my mother. She has $$$$$ taste with a $$ budget. From scoping this forum I think she has enough money to be able to get good quality vinyl windows and someone to do a proper siding installation. She knows the new windows (whatever she chooses) will be an improvement over her 40 year old windows but she really likes the wood interior of her windows (they feel sturdy and look nice) vs the thin vinyl windows in my home.

Looking at Okna's website you can tell it was built by engineers (which is good & bad) vs looking at replacement by Anderson (another option my mother is considering) where their website is selling a feeling. Its hard for vague techinal specs which may be of dubious correctness to overcome.
I think Brandon and a few of the crew at HomeSealed are on a much overdue family vacation.

Feel free to email me directly at: Enovotny@windowsonwashington.net

and I will get you in touch with him.

If she likes the look of wood, Okna has some nice interior laminate options. In terms of sturdiness, the least of Okna's lines is stronger than the strongest of most of the wood windows out there so it is purely a feel and not a data thing at that point.

TheWindowNerd

#10 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Just my personal very strong opinion, tell mom to avoid RBA. Way to much money for what you don't get.

Based on what you have shared I would hope that Homesealed can do the whole project for your budgeted amount. I agree with you about leaving the T1-11 as a nailable base.

theWindowNerd

mrholty

#11 Post by mrholty »

Well, she is willing to listen. She was going to sign some papers to go for the RBA. I was able to get some calls back from HomeSealed and they will have someone out next week.
Overall, its encouraging that she is willing to listen to me and give them a shot. I know she wants to get the house fixed and maybe a vinyl window is not ideal but new siding + windows for the same price as just windows.

uncle eddie

#12 Post by uncle eddie »

The Starmark sounds like a good option if she is liking the thought of a composite. Infinitely better energy ratings than the renewal. It has a stainable interior option too. No guarantees on price, but I mostly see it cheaper than renewal as well.