Recommendation for casement windows NE Illinois

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
Gardenquilt

Recommendation for casement windows NE Illinois

#1 Post by Gardenquilt »

We need to replace most of our windows on a two story home. It is a vinyl sided 2nd story and brick 1st story. Can't afford to do everything at once, so we plan to do the 2nd story first. We have 2 x 6 exterior walls, and we want all white windows that will take up the depth of the house, if possible. No wood jamb extensions on the inside of the windows or large metal trim on the outside. The existing windows are weathershield triple glazed wood interior with vinyl cladding and about 30 years old. There are wood jamb extensions inside the house. The windows on the southern exposure have really suffered from the sun.

This time around we are interested in fiberglass or vinyl. Have looked at both Inline and Kensington Huntington, but not sure if the windows can be made the size of the depth of the house. We have also considered but have not yet seen OKNA windows.

Also interested in knowing the correct techniques for installing windows without removing the vinyl siding. We have been told that replacement windows will not work for us because the entire existing windows with frames have to be removed. Also understand that 30 year old vinyl siding probably has very little flexibility. This house does not have house wrap.

We appreciate any recommendations and assistance. Thank you.

WindowsDirectCinci

Re: Recommendation for casement windows NE Illinois

#2 Post by WindowsDirectCinci »

I could be wrong but I have never seen a vinyl window that would take up that much width. They are pretty much all similar across the manufactures. 3 1/4ish jamb thickness. I understand the no metal flashing but not sure why you'd be against jamb extension other than cost factor. I know the Pella Monumental series has a 5 7/8" jamb and Im sure other wood manufactures may but I think your probably going to have to loosen up those requirements. Usually when customers request no aluminum exterior trim the easiest method is by remove g the existing siding and installing a window with a nailing flange. Also look for a Sunrise dealer, they can do an applied exterior brickmould which will add about 1 1/4 depth and eliminate the need for exterior aluminum trim. You'll still likely need jamb extension and interior casing.

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#3 Post by Window4U (IL) »

Okna has their windows available with 4 9/16" factory applied wood extension jambs for use with 2 x 4 walls and also 6 9/16" factory applied wood extension jambs for use with 2 x 6 walls. They also have custom size factory applied wood extension jambs available for walls that are not the normal stud depth. I've had real good luck with them in the past.
Last edited by Window4U (IL) on Thu May 11, 2017 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

TheWindowNerd

#4 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Gardenquilt:
You should contact the pro above, Window4U. Dave is great at knowing every window available and getting it done correctly.
You will not find a standard vinyl window at 6 9/16 with out a wood jamb extension on the inside. the total in to out on a unit for 2x6 walls is ~8".
So what is your problem with a wood jamb extension on the inside?
If you insisted you could find someone to build and apply a composite JE, that would be pricey. It would need to be 4.5" deep JE.
As to the install... back to Dave.

theWindowNerd.

Gardenquilt

#5 Post by Gardenquilt »

Thank you for the responses.

I don't want to have a jamb extension of different material, especially mixing wood and vinyl.

Any comments on the Kensington or Inline windows?

Windows on Washington

#6 Post by Windows on Washington »

+1 on giving Dave a ring.

That is your guy if you are in Chicago.

HomeSealed

#7 Post by HomeSealed »

Gardenquilt wrote:Thank you for the responses.

I don't want to have a jamb extension of different material, especially mixing wood and vinyl.

Any comments on the Kensington or Inline windows?
Jamb exts can be constructed of various materials including PVC if you want. As alluded to above, no window frame is really "made" to that thickness. Even a wood window will have a jamb extension, the only differences are how well they are integrated as far as the look. In a 6" wall, you are going to have a "shelf" no matter what. Just depends if you want that inside or out. Inside is more conventional and recommended...

Lastly, I'd agree with the others, reach out to Window4U if you are still looking for the right contractor.

TheWindowNerd

#8 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Marvin All Ultrex would come with a composite jamb.
But not the draftlessness of a high performance vinyl.