Replacement window install - is this correct

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
Moose13

Replacement window install - is this correct

#1 Post by Moose13 »

Had Pella Replacement windows installed recently. We had old 1930 wood windows replaced with aluminum vinyl windows. After installing the windows I noticed the bottom frame of the new window was 1 3/4 inches above the bottom of the original window wooden frame. Viewing from inside the house, the frame was 1/4 above the interior window ledge. You could basically see right outside at the bottom of the frame before the gaps where inclosed with aluminum strips and caulking. All 15 windows had the same gap. Is 1 3/4 inch gap acceptable distance from a wooden frame to the new metal frame and should the metal frame be above the interior wooden ledge when viewing from inside the home. I don’t think this acceptable. Have picture but could not figure out how to attach them to this link.
Last edited by Moose13 on Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Windows on Washington

Re: Replacement window install - is this correct

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Sounds, basically, a bit like a normal insert installation.

Can you post up any pictures?

HomeSealed

#3 Post by HomeSealed »

+1 on both counts. Sounds fairly normal depending on what your existing situation is. There will be a sizable "gap" on the exterior bottom when a new insert window is set into a sloped sill. If you can't post pics, add them on a photo hosting site and post a link.

HomeSealed

#4 Post by HomeSealed »

Moose, it looks like you attempted to submit the pic via chat on our website, unfortunately it didn't come through. Email it to me at brandon@homesealed.com