Slanted window help

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
stolher

Slanted window help

#1 Post by stolher »

My house has a very unique room that was added in 2013 with three large slanted windows. The windows are laid in the openings, caulked and covered with cedar. They don’t leak however, I am in search of a proper repair before it evolves into a problem. I’ve spent quite a bit of time trying to research a proper installation with flashing but I have come up empty handed. Can you help me find a solution that keeps this beautiful room from becoming a nightmare?

Windows on Washington

Re: Slanted window help

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Are you having any leaks just yet?

I see the pictures on the other site and responded over there.
Screen Shot 2019-01-13 at 9.30.17 AM.png
Either some cladding by a good mechanic with some brake skills or some trim (PVC) ripped down to form a proper sill and drip edge will do the trick.

stolher

#3 Post by stolher »

Thank you for posting the picture. I am riding the struggle bus trying to post pictures on this site.

No leaks or problems as of now. I could probably remove the cedar that trims the window, remove the old caulk, let the wood dry and reapply caulk to get another 5+ years out of it. But, to me if it is worth doing, it's worth doing correctly.

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

If the trim is cedar, you don't need to use PVC.

You also, despite the recommendations on the other site, need a skylight company. Most of those folks will be using pre-made flashing kits.

You mostly need to make a type of sill pan to route the bottom water (as it slides down the window) to out and away from the glass and sill. Whatever system you deploy will require some sort of weeping track on the bottom to catch and route away any water that bypasses the primary seals.

This can be done with some capping work or a copper pan if you are so inclined. The cedar can be cleaned and re-sealed to the glass and then perhaps the application of some sort of cedar stop to cover the caulking from UV degradation.

Just about any option can be made to work, just depends on the final look you are comfortable with.

stolher

#5 Post by stolher »

Thank you for your replies. These are the answers I've been searching for. Are you aware of capping application that will work in my situation?
I think with a brake I could make (or have made) a custom capping for the sides and a sill pan for the base. I'm a bit more of a function over form kinda guy so ascetics really come second.
I have reached out to a few skylight companies in my area and am waiting to hear back.

Windows on Washington

#6 Post by Windows on Washington »

Make a modified sill pan (i.e. closed corner design) that installs under the window slightly to pick up any water that comes down the front face. Slope it to the exterior. Re-trim and seal up the top and sides as well as the bottom trim (but leave the underside open).

stolher

#7 Post by stolher »

What would you use to seal or adhere the sill pan to the window?

Windows on Washington

#8 Post by Windows on Washington »

Nothing. The pan would sit under the window (i.e. look up what a sill pan is) and get nailed in to the rough opening on the side.

stolher

#9 Post by stolher »

Right I think understand what a sill pan is and how it works however, I don't see how it applies in my application with a slanted window. If I just lay the pan under my window I still invite water to flow under the window and onto the pan with the propensity to flow into the living space without a sealant. unless I am not picturing this correctly.

I wish I could figure out how to attach pictures to this forum