Advice on window quotes

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
ks

Advice on window quotes

#1 Post by ks »

Hello everyone -- long time lurker, first time poster here, and I'd just like to thank everyone in advance for the time you put into dispensing good advice. I've been through so many sales pitches that I just don't know which way is up anymore, but what I've read here has helped me a lot.

Anyway, here's the bullet: Five windows to be replaced, in a small condo unit.

2 windows are 34x53 with 6x6 grids
3 windows are 35x77 with 9x9 grids

All double hung, wood, single paned with storm windows. I've been looking at vinyl. I have to have the grids to follow condo appearance rules. I've been pricing double-pane vinyl windows with low-E, argon, and grids -- all the usual stuff. These are all prices installed.

Here's the quotes so far:
Window World Series 4000: $1820
American Jewel 3000: $2365
Simonton Reflections 5500: $3006
Philips Marquee: $3065
The Window Man DH-11 (by Soft-Lite): $3636
Schuco Corona 4000: $4000

A lot of people in my condo complex have used Window World, and they seem to be happy and the windows look fine. Despite the general scorn for the company on this board, I can't pretend that money is no object. I'm not rich, it's my first place, and god willing I'm not going to live here forever.

I don't want to get the cheapest thing if they're going to look crummy in a few years. On the other hand, though I know Schuco is well regarded, do I want Cadillac windows on a non-Cadillac home?

I'm trying to walk a middle ground here between cost-effectiveness and quality. Any advice or suggestions on these quotes would be greatly appreciated.

Windows on Washington

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

I cannot say anything about the American Jewel as I am unfamiliar with it however, if price is an issue, you will be hard pressed to justify a minimum of a 1+K difference between the Alside Excalibur and the Reflections window if they are equally outfitted.

ks

#3 Post by ks »

Thanks so much.

American Jewel windows are sold by a local dealer who has a good reputation based on our local consumer magazine. Their website is here, for what it's worth:

http://www.ahc-inc.net/Windows/American ... edpage.htm

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

Looks like a fairly nice piece on their website. I would like to see it up close though before I put a decent review on it.

ks

#5 Post by ks »

Of course.

Would it be considered inappropriate for me to post this message on the sister board to this site? I'm just hoping to get a little bit more input before I make a decision, here. I've already dragged this out far longer than I've had to!

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#6 Post by Window4U (IL) »

ks wrote:Of course.
Would it be considered inappropriate for me to post this message on the sister board to this site?
Not at all. People do it all the time. Not everyone from this site is on the other site and vice versa.

http://www.vinyl-replacement-windows.com/forum/