Sears on AskJeeves.com

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
Dean S

Sears on AskJeeves.com

#1 Post by Dean S »

I went on a window quote last night (I work for a company that sells Marvin) and met a couple who had sought out Marvin window on AskJeeves.com. When you search for Marvin Windows there, the first line reads, "Marvin Windows at Sears." The person is then directed to the Sears website.

The couple had asked for a Marvin quote when they set up the appointment with Sears and, of course, the salesmen get to the home and try to talk the homeowner out of getting Marvin windows. They went right into the vinyl window sales pitch with the heat lamp and told the couple that Marvin is an inferior product.

The couple eventually kicked out the Sears salesmen and found the company I work for on the Marvin website.

We have found that Sears also comes up when you type in Andersen Windows but not Pella. I don't know why. Go to AskJeeves.com and try it yourself.

I have heard some sleazeball things about the way Sears sells windows but this one tops them all.

I told my representative about this and Sears will hear from Marvin's lawyer tomorrow.

earwax

#2 Post by earwax »

I had to try it.

The sears website comes up as a sponsored site. When I read the web site it clearly states that they use vinyl windows. Don't really know what the problems is. Jeeves unde ther web site section gives the Marvin web site.

Jeeves computer software picks up the windows tag word and sends it to sears. I did notice it said Marvin and Sears. That I am not sure about.

FenEx

#3 Post by FenEx »

I also got curious and tried entering Marvin Windows on "MYSearch". The first listing is: "marvin windows - at Sears" with a link to their site. I did notice that the "m" in Marvin was lower case... perhaps for legal reasons. Andersen and Certainteed also both come up with the first listing: "at SEARS" too. That's pretty bogus. It appears the "Bait and Switch" is still part of their sleezy arsenal. I wonder why Pella was spared or perhaps they had their legal team contact Sears.
Last edited by FenEx on Wed Feb 09, 2005 6:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Guy

#4 Post by Guy »

I called my buddy who is great friends with Suzy Marvin. You can bet there will be some fireworks this week at Sears. This just goes to show you what America's most trusted company of the day has become!!!

Scum!!

Dean S

#5 Post by Dean S »

Earwax,

I tried typing in other words as well as jibberish in front of windows and the Sears site did not come up. Obviously they paid to have their site come up when someone typed in Marvin and Andersen and probably others. That is a serious problem but not the only problem.

The customer called Sears to set up the appointment and specifically asked for Marvin windows. I don't know if the phone rep specifically stated that they sell Marvin, but they made the appointment anyway. At the very least they misled the client and may have blatently lied. Anyway, they wasted the clients' time, the salesman's time and gave another black eye to Sears' reputation.

Try it yourself. Call Sears to make an appointment because you typed in Andersen or Marvin on AskJeeves.com and see what happens.

earwax

#6 Post by earwax »

that is kind of funny. Bad for the consumer, but kind of sad that Sears has resorted to that. Makes you wonder who will loose their job and if it was worth it.

We could all go on for days about bait and switch tactics of salesmen. You would expect more from a major corporation. I wonder is Sears does sell any of their products in any parts of the country. Does any one here know?

E-Z

#7 Post by E-Z »

No doubt they are misleading people looking for Marvin Windows.
I advertise on several search engines to a local level of course but the company is responsible for the name tag in this case"marvin windows - at sears" . I see this as misleading to get traffic to their website. now if they only Advertised as "replacement windows by sears" they would not be in the wrong even if the keyword was "Marvin windows" since -windows- would be relevant to a search.

E-z
E-z
E-z Windows

earwax

#8 Post by earwax »

there you go E-Z. That is the best answer. I would agree, they should change the tag line. Avoid misrepresntation.

Dean S

#9 Post by Dean S »

Sears finally fixed the problem. Sears no longer comes up when you type in Marvin Windows on AskJeeves.com.

But "Andersen Windows - At Sears" comes up when you type in "Andersen Windows." I guess they only fix the problems when they are threatened with lawsuits. Is there an Andersen Rep reading this who can rat them out?