Sash windows - what is this thing?

A place to ask all your replacement window questions
Post Reply
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:42 pm

Sash windows - what is this thing?

#1 Post by mwdelta » Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:55 pm

My house has large (6ft high by 4 ft wide) double-hung sash windows. They are original (around 100 years old).

In each window there is what seems to be a reinforcement wire running vertically on each sash. It's attached at the top and bottom of the outside of the sash, and there's an adjustment piece in the middle that would allow it to be screwed tighter or looser.

See picture:

So here's what I'm trying to find out.

1. What are these things called, and is there any info on the internet about them. I did a ton of searching and came up with nothing.

2. Is there a more aesthetic way to deal with this rather than an ugly wire running up the center of my beautiful windows?

Thank you for any advice.

Posts: 692
Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:02 pm

Re: Sash windows - what is this thing?

#2 Post by toddinmn » Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:52 pm

Turnbuckle tensioner.
The best way would be to repair the sash. Might need extensive repair or even replacement.

User avatar
Windows on Washington
Posts: 4360
Joined: Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:23 am
Location: DC Metropolitan Area-Maryland/Virginia/DC

Re: Sash windows - what is this thing?

#3 Post by Windows on Washington » Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:41 am

Haven't seen one of those in forever. Mostly see them on larger screen enclosures rather than older windows.

Post Reply