Windows Dilemma in Northwest Indiana (Provia vs Sunrise)

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
nwihoosier

Windows Dilemma in Northwest Indiana (Provia vs Sunrise)

#1 Post by nwihoosier »

Hello, pros.

I'm looking into replacing eight windows in my home in Indiana. Using the information I have learned by reading this forum, I narrowed my options to two, and I'm having trouble picking one.

The windows I need are:
  • one 3 section sider 84*60 with 1/4 /1/2 1/4 ratio
  • two 2 section slider 54*46
  • one double-hung 24*36
I also need a window filled in and some trim work, and both quotes will include these services.

My choices are:
1. Provia Aspect with TLA glass for about 7600
2. Sunrise Vanguard with Omega 12 glass for about 9800
Both installation companies are similar in reputation and will not offer other window options.

My thoughts:

I know Provia Aspect is not as good a window as Sunrise Vanguard. However, Provia is offering a triple-pane against Sunrise's double-pane. The Sunrise salesman is claiming superior performance with two panes, but the U factor of the Sunrise is quite a bit worse than the Provia (0.27 vs. 0.19). He also claimed that since the windows I'm replacing are all western facing, the Omega 12 glass has superior SHGC (0.21 vs. 0.23). Here in Northwest Indiana (i.e., next to Chicago), I feel resistance against cold (U-factor) is more critical compared to heat (SHGC). Looking at the numbers, not sure how to read Sunrise vs. Provia in air leakage (<0.3 vs. 0.09 cfm/ft²).

Looking at the numbers, would the triple pane of Provia perform better than the double pane from Sunrise? Does the improvement in quality from Sunrise to Vanguard justify the increased cost at one less pane? Any recommendation for someone I should speak to in the area?

I appreciate your help!

Windows on Washington

Re: Windows Dilemma in Northwest Indiana (Provia vs Sunrise)

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Given the blended climate of your region, the Sunrise salesperson is blowing more "sunshine up your knickers" than will come through his window.

The triple pane window will, at least thermally, outperform the double pane Sunrise.

You still need to look at Air Infiltration ratings to do a full comparison, but on the thermal side of the equation, he is full of what Bess Truman used to call "fertilizer".

Delaware Mike

#3 Post by Delaware Mike »

The ProVia option will outperform the double in the Vanguard from experience with both series. I do like the Vanguard better regarding the sash panels and hardware. It's a shame the rep can't do more of an apples to apples triple glass package to compare without jacking the price.

nwihoosier

#4 Post by nwihoosier »

The Sunrise rep came back with 11.5k for the AR90 triple pane for the Vanguard. The Provia rep stated their Aspect windows would have some of the upgrades from the Endure (e.g., the Neopor and locks), but their prices are still at 7.6k for the triple pane.

Does the increase in quality from Provia to Sunrise justify the 50% increase in price?

HomeSealed

#5 Post by HomeSealed »

1) The Sunrise window is better, I'm not a fan of the Provia
2) Is the price difference justified? That's really hard to know. Which price is the one that further deviates from the mean (assuming that you've gotten other quotes)? How are do the installation companies compare? History, reputation, reviews, your overall feeling about them, etc. Are all other option equal? Are the installation methods and details apples to apples?

Windows on Washington

#6 Post by Windows on Washington »

Definitely the better window and at 11.5K, that differential isn't marked up much, if at all.

toddinmn

#7 Post by toddinmn »

Don’t see the Sunrise being worth the extra 4K. I think the air infiltration numbers are gonna be pretty similar.