Window Comparisons for Home getting ready for resale

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
explorer1492

Window Comparisons for Home getting ready for resale

#1 Post by explorer1492 »

I just recently got 2 quotes for windows in my area in the Midwest. One of the contractors is using Vinlymax Franklin Collection and the other is using Alside Mezzo windows. I'm having 5 double hungs, 4 sliders and a Patio Door installed. The contractor using the Vinlymax Franklin is about $1,000 dollars cheaper for the install. Would anyone recommend one of these over the other regardless of price. If price were a factor would a $1,000 savings be worth going with the Vinylmax Franklin brand? Finally, my house will be going on the market in less than a year, Do either one of these windows look better aesthetically?

Thank You for your help.

SJ

Windows on Washington

Re: Window Comparisons for Home getting ready for resale

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Keeping the home for a year? You sure you need to replace them? Will it create agreement issues with the rest of the facade?

toddinmn

#3 Post by toddinmn »

I’d go with the Vinylmax.

uncle eddie

#4 Post by uncle eddie »

If the mezzo is your most expensive option, you should start from scratch. If you are selling soon, either don't replace the windows, or at least go for something mid grade or better

TheWindowNerd

#5 Post by TheWindowNerd »

My first thought is to use the cheapest if your goal is to sell it.
Then I ask what did you pay for the property, what is its true market value, what are the high and low comps in the hood?
But if you care about what you sell and about the person you sell it to you might think differently.

lisashelton

#6 Post by lisashelton »

explorer1492 wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:11 pm I just recently got 2 quotes for windows in my area in the Midwest. One of the contractors is using Vinlymax Franklin Collection and the other is using Alside Mezzo windows. I'm having 5 double hungs, 4 sliders and a Patio Door installed. The contractor using the Vinlymax Franklin is about $1,000 dollars cheaper for the install. Would anyone recommend one of these over the other regardless of price. If price were a factor would a $1,000 savings be worth going with the Vinylmax Franklin brand? Finally, my house will be going on the market in less than a year, Do either one of these windows look better aesthetically? short life

Thank You for your help.

SJ
Windows are not where you should be sinking big money with all the other things you have to do. Get the current ones repaired and storms and put the money into something else with better returns.

HomeSealed

#7 Post by HomeSealed »

lisashelton wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:33 am
explorer1492 wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:11 pm I just recently got 2 quotes for windows in my area in the Midwest. One of the contractors is using Vinlymax Franklin Collection and the other is using Alside Mezzo windows. I'm having 5 double hungs, 4 sliders and a Patio Door installed. The contractor using the Vinlymax Franklin is about $1,000 dollars cheaper for the install. Would anyone recommend one of these over the other regardless of price. If price were a factor would a $1,000 savings be worth going with the Vinylmax Franklin brand? Finally, my house will be going on the market in less than a year, Do either one of these windows look better aesthetically? short life

Thank You for your help.

SJ
Windows are not where you should be sinking big money with all the other things you have to do. Get the current ones repaired and storms and put the money into something else with better returns.
Interesting comments Lisa. I didn't see where the OP mentioned "all of the other things" needing to be done? Windows may be at the top of the list, or maybe not. Moreover, if your contention is that other projects have a better return than windows that may be true as well, but not too many. Remodeling Magazine's Cost Vs Value report consistently rates window replacement around 70%+/- (depending on grade and location) for ROI, which is around 10% higher than things like kitchen and bath remodels and without regard to the added savings in energy use.... Not all windows should be replaced, repair and/or storms can be a better option in some cases, but there are about 101 variables there that I've yet to hear from the OP. Please let me know if I misinterpreted your comments.

TheWindowNerd

#8 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I can not see SW being a consideration in this case.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#9 Post by masterext »

Lisashelton, where are you coming up with this information? Better yet, why would you join a forum just to make that your first post?