Recommendations/Thoughts on New Windows/Pricing

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
NC910

Recommendations/Thoughts on New Windows/Pricing

#1 Post by NC910 »

My apologies in advance if it seems as if the following question has been asked already. I did search and found much good information but led me to seek "expert" recommendations on my following options.

Background - I need to replace original wood windows on a 1995 era house - 40+ overall. I have met with a number of installers (both the big box stores as well as some other known - and unknown - entities and this is what I have come up with:

Simonton 6100 - $27,350 (HD)
Simonton 6500 - $33,292 (HD)
Simonton 5500 - $18,435 (Independant window installer)
Reliabilt 3900 - $29,861 ("Big Blue", w/Triple Pane)
Interstate 5200 - $27,765 (Larger company that does windows/baths)

While I don't see much difference between the 5500 and the 6500 (everything I can find says they are basically the same), the MUCH lower price from the independant installer has me a bit worried (he does have a professional website, 20+ {claimed} years of experience and a number of both good and positive reviews online. We have the beginnings of some rot in the sill and all say they will cut out the rot, replace and wrap all windows in whatever their propriatary aluminum wrap is (varies by company).

So my questions are:
- Do any of these jump out as a better value than the others? (we are in a nicer but not super expensive neighborhood and due to work, will only be in the house 4-5 years before selling/moving)
- Am I right to have my "spidey-sense" up on the lower bid from the truly independant installer?
- What else am I missing?

I am in NC and have (to my knowledge) exhaused most of my options within this price point. Just need to make a decision and et this project done.

Thanks in advance for any assistance you all may be able to provide.

Windows on Washington

Re: Recommendations/Thoughts on New Windows/Pricing

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

They are the same window (i.e. 6500 vs. 5500).

I would be a bit cautious with the independents number. That isn't a number that we see very much in our area because of the cost of goods and labor making it untenable in these parts. Perhaps they charge less on both ends down there, but you can't do even a Simonton for that up here and expect to keep your doors open.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#3 Post by masterext »

is the guy offering the 5500 for that ridiculously low price a mailbox or birdhouse repair man?
Last edited by masterext on Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NC910

#4 Post by NC910 »

Well, as stated - I was/am a bit leary of the extremely low bid.

Any opinion on the 6500 vs. the 3900 vs. the 5200?

They are all Honda vs. Toyota to me at this point, but if one appears to be a better window/value I welcome that input as well.

Many thanks for the prompt replies thus far. Much appreciated.

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

The 6500/5500 is the best of that bunch in my opinion.

TheWindowNerd

#6 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Though the lowest bid may seem to low, if vetted properly it could be the best value.
Just a couple of thoughts...
I would not use a big box to install my windows. A manager of one of the largest big blues in our market would not buy his own offerings or install service, he had us do them.
You are in NC so maybe this does not apply, I want air tight windows, no leaks, look for a better window than any you have mentioned.
theWindowNerd.com