Quality replacement windows other than Okna?

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
rockville_craig

Quality replacement windows other than Okna?

#1 Post by rockville_craig »

I purchased replacement Okna windows for my house in Rockville Maryland, and for a rental house near Pittsburgh PA. I'm sold on Okna's quality and I want to install Okna windows in another rental house near Pittsburgh PA but the authorized Okna window installer will not give an estimate w/o my attendance at my rental near Pittsburgh, a 4 hour drive. What other windows are similar in quality to the Okna 500?

Thanks, Craig

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

Re: Quality replacement windows other than Okna?

#2 Post by masterext »

Thats basically par for the course when it comes to estimates. For both accuracy and legitimacy, a reputable company will always need to meet with the actual owner at the time of the estimate.

TheWindowNerd

#3 Post by TheWindowNerd »

What is the property zip code.
Qty and spec for the windows.
We frequently do quotes by email.
theWindowNerd.com

Delaware Mike

#4 Post by Delaware Mike »

Soft-Lite Imperial LS could be a solid alternative.

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

What they said...

toddinmn

#6 Post by toddinmn »

Giving an estimate without meeting the actual owner or all owners is not difficult , going inside is not even necessary, it has become almost the norm for me. Quite common for me to never the owner on rental units.

Ricknez

#7 Post by Ricknez »

Toddinmn, most of the gentlemen here are business owners and run their business much differently than you would since you are a laborer and work as a subcontractor for various window companies.
I notice you have a pattern of directing combative comments to some of the business owners on this site and it seems to be a hobby of yours.
Pricing a job without an owner being there seems very unprofessional and not something a successful business owner would do.
Again, you being on the labor side of things may view it a little differently and thats understandable. Its always nice to get input from a laborer though. I wish we had more laborers around here.

toddinmn

#8 Post by toddinmn »

I will agree that most here run there businesses different but I do almost zero subcontracting, probably has been 3 years Or so since. I will do them if I get slow or have gaps in my schedule since I work year round and have employees to keep busy. XI am everything for my company, Laborer, estimator, accountant, installer, deliveries, bill collector,and owner. Not sure what you mean by successful, but I am not living check to check , have zero debt and all my houses are paid for. My comments may seam combative, but are based on honest opinion and my version of the truth. Pricing a job without seeing it is not to hard to do , I do use. Google maps sometimes though. I have bid 3 years of work , roughly about $2.3 million without seeing a single job, I rarely look at my. Jobs mobs now . One can give an estimate and adjust it at point of measure. You can write things in your estimate to protect yourself from unforeseen things. For example , rotted sills will be $60 each, tempered glass will be an additional $150 Ect. With this 60% increase in labor cost I might just have to look into this.

Ricknez

#9 Post by Ricknez »

Toddinmn, do you have a website? Do you have a showroom or do you just rely on your garage and pick up truck?
Do you do any kind of marketing? What kind of company would you classify yourself as? Installation/sole proprietor?
The reason i ask is because you are basically an installer and you wont be anywhere close to any of these other gentlemens overhead costs.

toddinmn

#10 Post by toddinmn »

No website.
I have a warehouse with no showroom. It does have a fridge with beer though.
I drive vans, even my personel vehicle is a van, I love vans.
I have zero marketing, besides my good looks and widely appealing personality.
I would classify myself as a small business that does installations with employees.
I would safely say that I am much more than an installer.
I would agree that some here would have more overhead cost than me.

Ricknez

#11 Post by Ricknez »

“Toddinmn
I have zero marketing, besides my good looks and widely appealing personality.“

:lol: :lol:

Windows on Washington

#12 Post by Windows on Washington »

Possible that this is a conversation better reserved for the Contractors forum?

Ricknez

#13 Post by Ricknez »

Windows on Washington wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:59 am Possible that this is a conversation better reserved for the Contractors forum?
Sounds good. Todd...care to join us over there?

HomeSealed

#14 Post by HomeSealed »

toddinmn wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:30 am One can give an estimate and adjust it at point of measure. You can write things in your estimate to protect yourself from unforeseen things. For example , rotted sills will be $60 each, tempered glass will be an additional $150 Ect.
Your points are mostly true, but this is a big caveat that very few customers are happy with when they come up, especially when the point of measure is AFTER the sale as it is in most companies. Just my experience, more power to you I guess if its working.
Personally I'd rather be detailed and thorough on the front end and under-promise/over-deliver, than to need to come back with added charges even if they were technically allowed for.... I used to do it your way Todd, worked well for a while but as I grew, the number of people ticked off when I had to charge for stops after the fact, or some other install related charges grew as well and we had to reassess. I think that we can all agree that having a full view of the job upfront and being as detailed as possible with no surprises or added charges is the preferred way to go.

toddinmn

#15 Post by toddinmn »

I would agree, it does help weed out out the tire kickers though. If they were to say that sounds pretty fair , obviously you would go measure the job and bring up any concerns or extras Before you would start and readjust at that point. This is how I buy all my vehicles and toys, Ictalk things over get all the details, negotiate price then look, renogtiate price If needed and sometimes walk away.