Milgard Retrofit?

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
atkinson40

Re: Milgard Retrofit?

#16 Post by atkinson40 »

toddinmn wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:47 am If you’re in doubt start with one window or if you have the luxury remove a window to confirm measurements and board it up till new one arrives or just dive in!
This is the best explanation I've found so far for what I'm doing.

http://www.preyerplanning.com/vinyl-ret ... -steps.pdf

Windows on Washington

#17 Post by Windows on Washington »

atkinson40

#18 Post by atkinson40 »

Thank You WoW. I watched the video.

Is there any reason why I should NOT be cutting the existing aluminum tracks down to be flush with the sill?

I know it takes a little more effort, but it keeps the window bigger and saves me putting a piece of wood behind the aluminum track to support the window.

Windows on Washington

#19 Post by Windows on Washington »

The additional effort and the fact that they tracks (or the edges of them) are part of the weeping pathway.

I would do it just as they specify and you shouldn't be doing much cutting. If the window didn't leak before, it won't now if its done right.

atkinson40

#20 Post by atkinson40 »

Windows on Washington wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:14 am The additional effort and the fact that they tracks (or the edges of them) are part of the weeping pathway.

I would do it just as they specify and you shouldn't be doing much cutting. If the window didn't leak before, it won't now if its done right.
Thanks WoW. That was good advise.

I thought I needed to cut off the ledge that holds the screen that sticks out past the stucco so I began to cut it off with an angle grinder. This ledge would have kept me from butting the replacement flange tight up against the stucco.

I got about an inch into cutting it off. What a messy, slow process. If I had to cut all the slider track off around the inside of the sill it would have doubled the installation labor.

Fortunately I noticed some screw heads buried beneath the stucco that when removed allowed me to pull the ledge off without needing to cut it off. I will not do any cutting.

I did remove the slider and stationary panes to get an accurate measurement for the new window. This also gave me a dry run on how they come apart.

I'll do the retrofit just as in the video. I need to find some wood strips to add behind the tracks as shown in the video and get the sealant materials.

Windows on Washington

#21 Post by Windows on Washington »

Sounds like you are on the right path.

Be sure to foam in around the window with backer rode or foam before you button it up with the interior trim out. Post some before and after shots too.

atkinson40

#22 Post by atkinson40 »

Windows on Washington wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:27 pm Sounds like you are on the right path.

Be sure to foam in around the window with backer rode or foam before you button it up with the interior trim out. Post some before and after shots too.
Will do. It's been a long while since I used photo-bucket to host images. I've only got the three images I posted here on photo-bucket and have already went by the 25 MB bandwidth for free image hosting. I'll need to try another hosting site. Maybe google.

Windows on Washington

#23 Post by Windows on Washington »

Google works well.

TheWindowNerd

#24 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Wasn't Milgard just bought?

atkinson40

#25 Post by atkinson40 »

TheWindowNerd wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:19 am Wasn't Milgard just bought?
Sorry it took so long to reply. Yes Milgard was bought and I'm waiting for it to come. I'm trying one first to get the technique down and the maybe do two the next time.

atkinson40

#26 Post by atkinson40 »

What size/type of screws should I use to screw the window to the frame?

Windows on Washington

#27 Post by Windows on Washington »

I would look for a button head Phillips head. Are the screws going into the metal of the old frame? If so, a self tapping will probably be easier.

TheWindowNerd

#28 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Just about any screw can be used.
Typical is something rust resistant with a pan head.