New Window Options

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
mgehman

New Window Options

#1 Post by mgehman »

We are looking at replacing 19 Double Hung windows and I was hoping someone could help point me in the right direction. We have received quotes for Harvey Classic and Interstate CompositeWood. I have not been able to find much info on these two, so we are also in the process of receiving quotes for Soft Lite Imperial LS.

We're a little confused on the Vinyl vs. Composite option. The few sales associates we have spoke to have directed us towards Composite, until we found the gentleman directing us towards the Imperial LS. So far the quotes we have received are below. Are these 3 windows comparable at all in terms of performance? And how do the quotes look? Any info you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Harvey Classic - $550 each Installed
Interstate Composite - $643 each installed
Soft Lite Imperial LS - TBD

Windows on Washington

Re: New Window Options

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

I think the window that you are yet to get a quote on, is going to be your best option here. It is the most well built and has the best data.

I love the composites as an option, but I have favorites other than the unit mentioned above.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#3 Post by masterext »

The Soft Lite Imperial is much better than Harvey, thats for sure. The composite by interstate is a pretty good window. Let us know what the soft lite pricing is.

TheWindowNerd

#4 Post by TheWindowNerd »

For sure the SL LS

HomeSealed

#5 Post by HomeSealed »

Agree with the thoughts above. I wouldn't get too hung up on composite vs vinyl, both can be very good and have some minor pros and cons, but in this case I'd focus on the window with better performance and reputation for quality which in my estimation is the LS.

mgehman

#6 Post by mgehman »

So we had the installer over this afternoon quoting Soft-Lite windows. Initially he said he would quote Imperial LS, but after seeing our house he recommend Soft Lite Barrington due to how he would handle the install because of the Dryvit used on our home. Our house was built in 1992 and the exterior is Dryvit (EIFS). Due to this the installer informed us that he would install the new soft-lite windows INSIDE the current old Peach Tree window frames so that he would not need to mess with the seal between the EIFS and the current windows. He informed us that the windows would be wrapped, and the two frames sealed with foam. He also stated that this is common practice for him. This sounded odd to us and we are wondering if this a current and acceptable practice? The other installers we have had quote our windows have not mentioned this practice. Any insight would be greatly;y appreciated.

HomeSealed

#7 Post by HomeSealed »

Sounds to me like he is proposing a pocket installation assuming that your Peach tree windows are traditional wood frames... Nothing out of the ordinary there. Probably the same install as the other guys, he just explained differently or in greater depth.

On the window itself, there is nothing about a pocket install that would be relevant as it pertained to LS vs Barrington. I'd strongly recommend insisting on the LS unless there is some other reasoning not yet explained, although I can't imagine what that would be.

TheWindowNerd

#8 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I agree. Still use the LS.

Windows on Washington

#9 Post by Windows on Washington »

+1. The frame on the LS is slightly larger than the Barrington, but I would still want the better performing window 10 out of 10 times and therefore the LS.

HomeSealed

#10 Post by HomeSealed »

Windows on Washington wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:04 am +1. The frame on the LS is slightly larger than the Barrington, but I would still want the better performing window 10 out of 10 times and therefore the LS.
Good call/catch... and to clarify for the sake of mgehman, that size difference is in the glass area as opposed to the frame depth or something like that which would change the install...

It sounds like perhaps you have some narrow windows and this guy is trying to save you glass area with the more "slim-lined" Barrington as opposed to the LS which is a little "beefier". With that said, while its a good thought on his part particularly if you expressed any concern about that, we'd all still opt for the LS as the measurably superior unit (anyone feel free to chime in if I misrepresented that).

mgehman

#11 Post by mgehman »

The final quote came in with Soft Lite Imperial LS at $665 each. From everything I can find that sounds like a pretty decent price, so i think that's the direction we'll be going. We are also looking at a sliding door and they quoted Soft Lite Kings Royal at $2,500. Any input on that particular door and the price?

Thanks again for all the great feedback!!!

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#12 Post by masterext »

Excellent door and a great price.

HomeSealed

#13 Post by HomeSealed »

Those prices are all on the low end of what I see for that product. If the company offering it is good and reputable, it sounds like a tremendous deal.