Urgent! Is this window installation normal or screwed up?

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
PAL77

Urgent! Is this window installation normal or screwed up?

#1 Post by PAL77 »

Hello all,

We signed contract of installing 13 OKNA windows (customized) with a dealer. Yesterday they came and installed 4 windows downstairs. We found the gap between the new windows and the rough opening was kind of big, so we questioned it. The dealer said it's normal, and later they used some wood fillers at the top and bottom of window, foamed and caulked the gap. But we still felt concerned, so we are holding off the installation for the other 9 windows. We really would like to know if the dealer is trying to cover up for a measurement error or these are normal gaps? Any input will be greatly appreciated!

By the way, how can I post pictures here?

HomeSealed

Re: Urgent! Is this window installation normal or screwed up?

#2 Post by HomeSealed »

Nearly impossible to say without knowing all of the circumstances of what came out, whats going in, existing trim inside and out, was the jamb stepped on the old window, etc... Pics would definitely be a start. If you have a photo bucket account or some service like that you can post a link

Windows on Washington

#3 Post by Windows on Washington »

+1.

Some gap is normal. How much is too much totally depends on the opening, what was remove, exterior vs. interior sizes, etc.

If you want to email me the pics, I can see about attaching them.

Enovotny@windowsonwashington.net

Delaware Mike

#5 Post by Delaware Mike »

What state is this install in?

Windows on Washington

#6 Post by Windows on Washington »

I cannot comment with certainty without seeing what they say when they pulled them out out. Looks like they are just visible from behind the edge of the interior stop which could be a measurement difference of about 3/8" if they were measured slightly short.

All of that should cover and the cladding on the exterior will make it look seamless. Have you spoken to the crew lead or foreman about your concerns?

PAL77

#7 Post by PAL77 »

@Delaware Mike
We are in PA.

PAL77

#8 Post by PAL77 »

@Windows on Washington
We talked with the crew lead, and he insisted there was no measurement error and the installation was normal. We already installed 4 windows, and are holding off other 9 windows upstairs. So we need to quickly decide what to do next. Given what you saw in the pictures, would you think the problem seems big enough for us to break the contract and stop working with this company? or maybe this issue seems to be small and can be tolerated? To be honest, now we are not even expecting top notch quality; as long as it's a decent job we would be fine. Thank you.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#9 Post by masterext »

This is fairly normal with your type of opening. You have drywall returns and we have done installs in a similar manner. I see nothing wrong here. With a drywall return, the inside will be a little smaller that the outside, hence the need to add wood around the outside opening. I dont think it would be fair or warranted to break up this contract. Let the crew finish up, They are using foam and seem to be doing a good job.i am certain they will add some aluminum capping to cover the wood.

TheWindowNerd

#10 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I tend to measure tight.
Regardless I doubt that you have any contractual basis to pull the plug.
Does your contract the size or relational size between existing and new?
Do watch and make sure they do an excellent job based on both communicated expectations and the contract.

toddinmn

#11 Post by toddinmn »

The caulking on the stool to window looks to big and messy. They could have used some sill trim to elongate the large joint. I would have liked to see a tapered exterior sill board with flashing. I would like to see what the finished aluminum work looks like on the outside. Windows could have been ordered larger obviously, and the gaps could have been hidden better.

HomeSealed

#12 Post by HomeSealed »

Easy for us to nitpick from in front of a computer, and while I don't disagree with some of the critical sentiments shared, I have to refer back to my initial comments regarding knowing all of the surrounding circumstances. Its almost impossible to say anything for certain without know exactly what came out, what the measurements were, etc.

I do agree with the others as well, that unless your contract states something out of the ordinary, you wouldn't have any grounds to pull out of the project. It appears that the existing stops are just missing coverage on most of these, the explanation could be something as simple as that the measure guy saw that your openings were racked more than average and slightly downsized the windows accordingly. WoW mentioned a number of 3/8" and that sounds about right as far as what realistically could have been gained. That is pretty negligible.

In summary, it does not appear that there were any gross mistakes or mis-measures, no reason not to let them continue on. What you SHOULD hold them accountable for however is a square, fully operable, air and water tight installation, as well as a professional looking finished product both inside and out. Once they get to that point feel free to post back if you have other concerns.... I would also recommend reaching out to someone above the crew lead in management at this company to make them aware of your concerns as well as your expectations for the finished product. Raising that concern now could save some re-working after the fact which is a win for all involved.

toddinmn

#13 Post by toddinmn »

I’d agree that it is very easy for us to nitpick, and think it would be great time to check for squareness before they cap with aluminum and big caulking joints. I’d like to see the sill tied in the existing weather barrier. But it a little late for that.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#14 Post by masterext »

As the others alludednto, you have no basis to pull out of the project and that has a very realistic potential of costing you a lot of money; i highly recommend not doing that. The install looks fine to me and most of the others agree as well.

PAL77

#15 Post by PAL77 »

Thank you everyone for your replies! We'll definitely take your input into consideration.