Sash windows - what is this thing?

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
mwdelta

Sash windows - what is this thing?

#1 Post by mwdelta »

My house has large (6ft high by 4 ft wide) double-hung sash windows. They are original (around 100 years old).

In each window there is what seems to be a reinforcement wire running vertically on each sash. It's attached at the top and bottom of the outside of the sash, and there's an adjustment piece in the middle that would allow it to be screwed tighter or looser.

See picture: https://photos.app.goo.gl/CTgzQh4sg9H6DdTj7

So here's what I'm trying to find out.

1. What are these things called, and is there any info on the internet about them. I did a ton of searching and came up with nothing.

2. Is there a more aesthetic way to deal with this rather than an ugly wire running up the center of my beautiful windows?

Thank you for any advice.

toddinmn

Re: Sash windows - what is this thing?

#2 Post by toddinmn »

Turnbuckle tensioner.
The best way would be to repair the sash. Might need extensive repair or even replacement.

Windows on Washington

#3 Post by Windows on Washington »

Haven't seen one of those in forever. Mostly see them on larger screen enclosures rather than older windows.

tru_blue

#4 Post by tru_blue »

Wow, I don't think I've ever seen one of those on a window! I used to sell those back in the 70s, and even then it was rare. If you google "how to fix a sagging screen door" you'll likely see a bunch of links. Wood screen doors typically don't have much strength and can be more prone to sagging (since there isn't any glass in them to help keep them square at the corners), so it used to be somewhat common to have an adjustable brace, or "turnbuckle," installed on the door to keep the corners square and to prevent sagging. Evidently because you have LARGE windows, there must have been evidence or concern about sagging, or perhaps the bottom rail of the sash falling out, so those braces were put on. Some alternative fixes would include installing unsightly L-shaped brackets at the corners where needed, or perhaps strengthening the joints with dowels (wood or metal). Since most double hung sashes have mortise and tenon joints, that latter solution may not be ideal. A more drastic alternative would be to take apart the sashes, glue the joints at the corners and mechanically fasten them (nails or screws or staples) back together. A good glue joint is stronger than the wood itself. Of course you could just replace the windows with energy-efficient new ones... :wink:

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

What's up Tru Blu.

Good to see you around.