Custom Exterior Trim required?/optional?

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
Percussionist

Custom Exterior Trim required?/optional?

#1 Post by Percussionist »

I'd appreciate any insight into what I am learning about getting the windows in my home replaced.
Window World rep is quite insistent that I need to add the "Custom Exterior Trim"($80 per window) onto the purchase of 15 windows. My confusion comes from perhaps niave observation that my existing alum frame, single pane windows don't have a frame or trim around them at all. mostly just the brick face of the home. I'd really like to understand if this additional aluminum metal custom trim is something that absolutely should be done? or should it be optional to adequate, proper installation of the vinyl replacement windows?
thanks

WindowsDirectCinci

Re: Custom Exterior Trim required?/optional?

#2 Post by WindowsDirectCinci »

Yes or possibly no? Window World business model has been based upon advertising low too good to be true pricing “$189”. They will then go into the home and charge for items that are normally part of a normal install. Charging more for exterior cap stock , low e /argon , etc. tHe aluminum capping would likely be needed to fill in gaps between the new window and the brick (which isn’t uncommon if measuring or setting the window inside or on the drywall which is likely how they are planning to measure.)

Another install option would be possibly to measure the new unit to fit on the brick and push back against the drywall. This may or may not be an option depending on the opening and framing of the home. One drawback to this method is it’s sometimes difficult to insulate around the new window with anything other than poly foam wrap or fiberglass in my experience

Windows on Washington

#3 Post by Windows on Washington »

Can you post any pictures? WDC pretty much nailed their approach spot on. Is the brick opening smaller than the sheetrock return?

HomeSealed

#4 Post by HomeSealed »

+1 to the comments above. Is it absolutely necessary to the install? Maybe not, although some other alternative would be needed to "finish" the exterior and possible weatherproof the opening.

... as a very general observation though, I'm sure that you are on a tight budget based on your choice, but be careful about that. Trying to cut costs from an install company that is already the lowest price around is certainly not increasing your odds of a quality finished product.... If you have not finalized this decision yet, your research/inquiry here indicates that you care about making a good choice, so you might consider some alternatives in that case. Read the forum regarding quality product choices, and then find a reputable, local dealer that installs them. You will likely pay more, but actually find better value... Just my $.02

TheWindowNerd

#5 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Just a low price bait.
You got hooked.

Percussionist

#6 Post by Percussionist »

Thanks to ALL who replied...and I agree, @WindowsDirectCinci nailed it.
The window that the sales rep and I were examining as she was explaining it to me, she had me reach my hand to the inside of the window, to try to feel the gap along the side of the existing, still in place aluminum frame(garage, brick outside of block; no drywall in sight), to help me appreciate the need. Videos I've watched typically show folks filling that in with special foam and flashing, which I thought are part of what is the minimum basic for 'installation' of the window. and anything, including flashing in between the window and wall should not be refereed to as "Exterior trim".
Thanks again to each individual that contributed their thought(s).