Painted/Colored Vinyl windows

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
Lmjm2017

Painted/Colored Vinyl windows

#1 Post by Lmjm2017 »

Hi,

I have pretty much narrowed it down to the Okna 800 or Sunrise Restorations Windows. We are doing 13 windows.

Okna - 9k
Restorations- 14k

Both installers are very reputable

My main question is has what’s the real deal with a colored/painted vinyl window? Especially one of these two brands. My wife and I love the look of black exterior. We are worried about the life expectancy of the paint and vinyl with such a dark color.

Thank you

Delaware Mike

Re: Painted/Colored Vinyl windows

#2 Post by Delaware Mike »

With the OKNA 800 series and a painted exterior make sure you pick out upgraded hardware in regard to the locks and lift handles as they are visible from an exterior view through the sight line of the glass and will stand out if left white. Most of my black and painted OKNA products are still under the 10-year mark at this point so I cannot know how they will be in 20-years, but I'm not hearing anything negative so far.

Windows on Washington

#3 Post by Windows on Washington »

We have some 15 year old windows that are painted and despite my incredulity with their projections of a "Lifetime" finish, I have seen no evidence of any failure. We have had some bronze screen frames that had some paint failure, but that is an entirely different product and comes in prepainted before it is cut to size.

Easy choice in that comparison between the 800 and the Restorations. The 800 has the better performance data and price in this case...slam dunk.

Lmjm2017

#4 Post by Lmjm2017 »

Thank you for the responses. Spent many hours researching to find the best compromise of performance, looks and value.

In regards to the upgraded hardware, I don’t think that would be an issue. House is on a slight hill from street. Would not be able to see the hardware from street view. I prob would not care of the look from the rear of the house where most of the windows would be in good sight. Def something to think about as I do like the brushed nickel look. Trying to keep cost down at same point.

Does anyone have pictures of black or bronze Okna windows? I can’t really find any solid pictures of colored Okna exterior.

Thank you

Randy

#5 Post by Randy »

Okna is definitely the better choice, and the savings is a big bonus.

I’ll post up a photo when I get to my computer.

Randy

#6 Post by Randy »

HomeSealed

#7 Post by HomeSealed »

All good advice above. I've seen very few issues from dark colored exteriors going on 10-15 years in service. Pretty established option at this point.

+1 on the choice as well. The Sunrise is generally highly regarded, but the Okna is better. Price difference makes it an easy choice provided that all other things are equal.

Windows on Washington

#8 Post by Windows on Washington »

Good looking pics UW.

Lmjm2017

#9 Post by Lmjm2017 »

Thank you all for the advice and pictures.
Made it an easy choice and are getting the OKNA 800 series. Should have them installed by end of December.

Windows on Washington

#10 Post by Windows on Washington »

4 weeks? You sure about that?

Keep in mind there is a holiday shut down and the painted windows do take an extra week usually.

Where are you based out of?