ProVia Endure + Sunrise Casement in NoVa

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
Stanwood

ProVia Endure + Sunrise Casement in NoVa

#1 Post by Stanwood »

We are looking to replace 12 windows in our Northern Virginia home. After weighing several options I think we've landed on a combination we like (see below). I started with a Marvin Infinity quote but between the cost and concerns raised here about air leakage I began to consider alternatives. It was very helpful to see several full-size windows in the same showroom. I was surprised to find that I preferred the thicker sash and even proportions of the ProVia Endure double-hung. The narrow frames on the Integrity and Restorations windows looked almost flimsy and I also appreciated the very clean lines. The Sunrise casement also looked sharp. In both cases we prefer the clean look on the outside to the more busy colonial-style casing on the Sunrise/Okna double-hung windows.

Windows to replace
12 windows: 7 Double Hung, 1 Double Slider, 3 Single Casement, 1 Casement Picture
All windows no more than 36" W x 50" H except double slider which is ~ 68" W x 36" H.

Leaning towards this configuration
Double Hung, Double Slider: ProVia Endure w/DLA glass, half screen (BetterVue)
- DH specs: U 0.27, SHGC 0.27, VT 0.50, AI <0.10
- DS specs: U 0.27, SHGC 0.27, VT 0.50, AI <0.10 (specs)
Casement/Picture: Sunrise w/Ultra U Plus glass, half screen (Optiview)
- CS specs: U 0.27, SHGC 0.26, VT 0.49, AI <0.10
- CP specs: U 0.27, SHGC 0.30, VT 0.56, AI <0.10 (specs)
All windows - white interior, white exterior, white hardware, no grids

Our installer quoted $8,100 to do this job with Sunrise Restorations and says the Endure will probably run similar or a bit less (waiting for this quote). For comparison, we were quoted $9,100 for Okna 500/700 DX (second installer) and close to $12,000 for Marvin Infinity (third installer). All three installers are very well rated in our area by Consumer Checkbook.

Questions
How would you compare ProVia Endure to Okna 500 or Sunrise for quality? I don't consider the performance differences to be enough to worry about.

I see that ProVia uses a "Compound Tension" system in the sash. Any experience with this compared to the competing methods?

We have not yet seen the Endure slider. Any comments on this for looks or function? If the slider is not attractive we could go with the Sunrise slider instead.

Thanks in advance for any responses. I've already learned a great deal just lurking on here for a few days.

WindowsDirectCinci

Re: ProVia Endure + Sunrise Casement in NoVa

#2 Post by WindowsDirectCinci »

Looks like you narrowed it down. The Sunrise Casement imo is the best casement out there. While the Provia DH is a nice window and should serve you just fine I prefer the Okna and Sunrise.This is due to mostly cosmetic and design reasons but if you prefer the Endure that's win for you.I'm also not a huge fan of the extrusion that Provia uses on that window due to the design of the corners of the sashes and where they meet the frame. There is a gap there that is a good place for air leakage. The last sample I saw of that window they closed that gap pretty well and filled in with a fuzz pad but I've seen a lot of issues with that design from other manufacturers.

I assume your going with white? Just an FYI different manufactures may have a different shade of white so if there on the same wall I'd just verify they will match. Some whites are more of a soft white and some are more of a blue Hugh or brighter white. Im not sure what Provia is.

The Compound Tension or constant force they're referring to is the balance system and while I'll say the Okna and Sunrise are using a better more sophisticated system in the Block & Tackle you shouldn't have any issues with that part.

Also don't forget to weigh in on the installer. After all your not only married to the windows in your home but the dealer is going to be your point of contact and handle any service needs in the future.

Stanwood

#3 Post by Stanwood »

Thanks! I hadn't thought about different whites. I'll have a look at that before we close the deal.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#4 Post by masterext »

The okna pricing looks good and has a great Ufactor. Im pretty certain windows on washington serves that area, hopefully you are getting a quote from them.

HomeSealed

#5 Post by HomeSealed »

Well done on considering quality options Stanwood. You could do far worse than the Endure, but I agree with WDC in focusing in on the more proven options in Okna and Sunrise. While you may not be in love with the more defined exterior detail on those two windows, you should also know that this feature is not all about aesthetics, as the curves provide additional strength to the framing. This is why it is common on higher performance units. Its something that gets attention when you are looking closely at window options, but once installed it generally washes out into the overall appearance and is not something that really stands out.

Beyond that, as masterext alluded to, it sounds like you may be in the service area of Windows on Washington. If so, I'd highly recommend reaching out to them if you have not already. The installation and service aspects of a window replacement project are at least as important as the window itself, and he is one of the best in the business. You've done well in your final product options, choosing a great company to work with would really seal this up as a great choice.

Delaware Mike

#6 Post by Delaware Mike »

ProVia's default compound tension balance on their DH units is a block and tackle just like what Sunrise and OKNA utilize. They have always called that balance by that name. One can option for a constant force stainless steel coil balance with ProVia as well in the ordering program which is kind of cool for us dealers. The white color with Sunrise, OKNA, and Soft-Lite is virtually the same. The various versions of the ProVia Endure which would be Thermal 9500 and some others are just a tiny bit different shade of white. It's definitely not ugly or odd like those lower grade "blue whites" that never match interior white trim shades and require "window white" PVC capping to marry up correctly.

One of the things that I'm not crazy about on the Endure besides the meeting rail area is the jamb sash snap-in stops. OKNA and Sunrise do a better job of hiding a more attractive stop in their jambs. It's such a small thing to be nit-picking about, however this is a perceived flagship offering and one would think extrusion engineers would have more taste. It's still a pretty darn good window with exceptional warranty and can be heavily optioned and customized.

Stanwood

#7 Post by Stanwood »

Thanks for all the tips! And Happy Thanksgiving to all.

If anyone has experience with the Endure slider I’d appreciate your thoughts. We are weighing against Sunrise slider.