Which is better, single doors or French doors?

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
philhume

Which is better, single doors or French doors?

#1 Post by philhume »

Hi, my home renovation is going on for the last few weeks. Therefore, the windows and doors need a replacement. Now, I am searching for an excellent window company to replace my old windows and doors. My friend suggests me double-hung windows because with that we can control airflow. I think French doors will be the right option, as we can easily open the doors due to the optimal distribution of load on the hinges. Which is better, single doors or French doors? I found a few websites which have reviews of various window and door companies. Does anyone know more about Cintinnial windows? Are they reliable? Please share your opinions.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

Re: Which is better, single doors or French doors?

#2 Post by masterext »

If you are in Cintinnial, there is a pro here who goes by the name windowsdirectCincy who seems to be a real nice guy and offers very good products. I would reach out to him.

tru_blue

#3 Post by tru_blue »

I don't fully understand the question. It appears you might be asking:

1. What is better for airflow: single doors or French (double) doors?
2. What is better for function/aesthetics: single doors or French (double) doors?
3. What is better for airflow: double hungs or single doors or French (double) doors?
4. What is better for function/aesthetics: double hungs or single doors or French (double) doors?
5. What can you tell me about Cintinnial windows?

I'll take a stab at #1, which is likely what you intended to ask about for doors only.

A single door is normally better than a double door for air infiltration, water infiltration, forced entry resistance, insulating value, and stability. A double door however allows for more ventilation when both doors are open, allows one to move larger objects through the opening, and offers more visible daylight into the room. Aside from performance, they offer two different looks. So either one could be better, depending on what you're trying to accomplish.

joanjoher

#4 Post by joanjoher »

I also read reviews of soft-lite and I think it will be a fine option to choose them. In my friend's house, windows and doors are replaced by them and they also said that they do their work properly.

TheWindowNerd

#5 Post by TheWindowNerd »

SL Elements or LS are both good choices.
As to doors Teru Blue is right, single active is best.

HomeSealed

#6 Post by HomeSealed »

TheWindowNerd wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:26 am SL Elements or LS are both good choices.
As to doors Teru Blue is right, single active is best.
+1... Double entry doors are all the rage in higher end new construction, and while they have some pros, they won't generally seal as tightly and have other little service issues that come up.

Delaware Mike

#7 Post by Delaware Mike »

I agree with the other pros regarding double-doors. Hard to maintain that tight seal over years of operation and ownership. I much prefer a single door with sidelites. Obviously if one has large items going in and out of the openings the French doors make sense. My friend as a hobby buys and sells used HiFi equipment and many times the speakers can be quite large that he will bring in and out of the house, plus heavy too. He sets them up to play with them for couple of weeks and then demos them for the buyers. Of course I've done all his windows and each I come over to visit I find another ding or dimple in the single entry door jambs lol.........