Okna SunSeal vs HeatSeal in Texas?

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
oknawintx

Okna SunSeal vs HeatSeal in Texas?

#1 Post by oknawintx »

We recently had some Okna windows installed in Texas. The installers did a great job, but it appears that, despite having ordered SunSeal windows, HeatSeal windows were sent and installed. We are being offered to get SunSeal sashes free of charge to swap out, but since we now have HeatSeal windows in place, I wanted to get this forum's input regarding whether it makes sense to swap out for SunSeal sashes (as per the original order), or whether there is some reason that we should keep the HeatSeal windows.

We live in Texas, in a major city where the climate is predominantly hot and humid, with a mild winter.

Three windows face east, one window faces west, six windows face north.

With our SDLs, we are talking about U-factor 0.25, SHGC 0.26, VT 0.47 for the currently installed (HeatSeal) windows, and U-factor 0.25, SHGC 0.19, VT 0.37 for the SunSeal sashes. At least per the labels I saw on the windows before they were installed, the current HeatSeal windows would not be Energy Star rated in our state.

Thank you so much!
Last edited by oknawintx on Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Windows on Washington

Re: Okna SunSeal vs HeatSeal in Texas?

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

What's the closest major city in Texas that you live near? I want to look up the climate data for that region and then I will answer you question.

oknawintx

#3 Post by oknawintx »

Windows on Washington wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:41 am What's the closest major city in Texas that you live near? I want to look up the climate data for that region and then I will answer you question.
Thank you so much. The closest major city is Houston.

oknawintx

#4 Post by oknawintx »

Windows on Washington wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:41 am What's the closest major city in Texas that you live near? I want to look up the climate data for that region and then I will answer you question.
Thank you. Houston area.

P.S. Technically, I guess it is 3 windows facing east, 1 window facing west, 6 windows facing north. There is a building same size as ours on the east side so there is some blockage of sun in the early morning at least on that side. Nothing on the west side. Trees on the north side.

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

Thanks for the update.

If the SunSeal was really going to shine, it would be in the South facing windows with the 55/27 coating. The HeatSeal (71/38) does really well in some pretty warm climates and preserves some more of that visible light (71% vs. 55%).

The issue I have with the 55/27 is the high degree of reflectivity out of it vs. the HeatSeal (71/38).

Keep in mind that the standard HeatSeal glass is going to reduce the amount of Solar Heat transmission by over 200% over standard glass already so it is a significant improvement over uncoated glass already.

We don't get quite as hot as Houston, but we have never had an issue with folks wanting more solar control.

TheWindowNerd

#6 Post by TheWindowNerd »

My good friend Randy, a man I respect and trust, is who I would seek guidance from.

Randy

#7 Post by Randy »

Guys, both the homeowner and I appreciate your input. If Okna was using Cardinal products this wouldn’t be an issue, but Guardian’s low solar low-e (55/27) is just incredibly reflective on the interior, and I’ve had multiple customers complain about it after installation. We’re just trying to find the sweet spot between good solar heat blocking and decent aesthetics.

Delaware Mike

#8 Post by Delaware Mike »

Reflective lol. With grids the glass can look like cross between the video game Tron and light saber duel from Star Wars from interior view.