Is it worth going beyond midgrade in DFW?

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
edintex

Is it worth going beyond midgrade in DFW?

#1 Post by edintex »

We're looking to replace all the original windows in our 1996-built house, but we're starting with front (south facing side) first. Lots of big windows (36x96, 84 wide arch, etc.). I have estimates from Milgard (Tuscany) and Burris that were similar (Pella, too, but that was a waste of time). Both installers are solid for the first two, so I'm just wondering if it's worth considering a higher grade window? We just moved in and plan to be here a while, so I don't mind spending extra if it's going to make a difference in the long run. Would Okna, Sun-lite etc. be worth considering? Been reading all the posts involving DFW area and it seems like MIlgard and Burris are good, but not the best. Would appreciate any input on why it's worth going with a higher grade. Thanks.

EDIT: Also wanted to mention that most of the windows will be single hung units although we'll rarely, if ever, open them. Mainly sticking with SH for continuity between upstairs and downstairs.
Last edited by edintex on Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Windows on Washington

Re: Is it worth going beyond midgrade in DFW?

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

I would want to go with a nicer model in this case if you are going to be there for a while. Soft-Lite, Sunrise, Okna are all well regarded in vinyl. Don Young seems to be well liked in the thermally broken aluminum in your area.

edintex

#3 Post by edintex »

Thanks WoW, I'll look more closely at those other brands. I did look into the Don Young windows, but noticed that the U factors were higher (above .30) than the vinyls. Maybe that's enough for the DFW climate, but it does get sort of cold here in the winter (likely below freezing this week in fact).

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

Aluminum is a great conductor. One of the reasons that we use it for wire in some cases.

That said, it is usually good enough for Texas climates, but you won't find me criticizing the desire for a more efficient window. I think that folks should always use the most efficient window that is correct for their climate.

Take a look around for those other couple of brands and see what you can dig up.

Randy

#5 Post by Randy »

Unfortunately, there aren’t many premium vinyl windows available in the DFW market. Sunrise is about the only one that is widely available. To my knowledge, Soft-lite is only available through a company that I would never recommend. Okna is not available.

NT makes a decent mid-grade product, though the frame is quite wide.

DFW is a tough market. The windows are typically very large and the direct heat on the windows is extreme in summer. That’s the perfect scenario for thermally-broken aluminum windows. However, DFW also gets some harsh winter weather and that’s when TBA windows are at their weakest. I’d still consider them as an option though.

edintex

#6 Post by edintex »

Thanks Randy, that helps. Good to know that I wasn't looking at it the wrong way. Will definitely look at the DY windows if they are truly a good choice for the heat. Given the split between hot days and cold days, I think windows that hold up to the heat are definitely more important. We've been getting along with the single pane aluminum for the past couple winters just fine, so it's not like the DY's aren't still going to be an upgrade.

Surprised to hear that there aren't more high-end vinyl companies in the DFW area. Seems like it would be a profitable market, but I'm sure they have their reasons.

Randy

#7 Post by Randy »

I think DFW is the toughest market in the state of Texas for several reasons.

First, there are at least four local vinyl window manufacturers who have cultivated the market

Second, as a result of reason one, the vast majority of local contractors have a "lowest price window" mentality and are resistant to paying more for a better quality products. Their cheap caulk-and-walk installation system is consistent with the cheap window mindset.

Third, many homes have ridiculously large window sizes. During my brief effort to expand into that market, I encountered one job that had 36 x 120 oriel single hungs. That’s absurdly large and no manufacturer that I’m aware of will make them, so they have to be stacked, which detracts from the original look.

Unfortunately, there just aren’t a lot of good options for the DFW market, when it comes to vinyl. Sunrise is the best option in vinyl, but with oversized windows, I'd go thermally-broken aluminum. You’ll give up some efficiency, but you won’t ever have to worry about bowing and warping.
Last edited by Randy on Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

edintex

#8 Post by edintex »

Appreciate the insight Randy. And yes, the window sizes are an issue. One last thought: Is it worth considering fiberglass to get a stronger frame with similar efficiency? Or is the cost increase not worth it?

Randy

#9 Post by Randy »

The price for fiberglass will jump considerably, and the arch/round top windows will be a problem for most manufacturers that I’m aware of. I don’t think you’ll find it to be a practical option.