NT Twinsulator

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
gitesh72

NT Twinsulator

#1 Post by gitesh72 »

Hi all,
any experience with the NT Twinsulator windows? They are alum thermal break, i'm also looking into don young, but haven't had a contact for them yet. Thanks for the help!

-Gitesh

Randy

Re: NT Twinsulator

#2 Post by Randy »

They are a fine product. I prefer the aesthetics of the Don Young 8200 series, but NT is a good company and the Twinsulator would serve you well if that’s your preference.

gitesh72

#3 Post by gitesh72 »

Thanks Randy,
I'm still waiting on the DY quote, but i can get the twinsulator in bronze for 18k/24 windows. The Sunrise vinyl came in at 23k for white and 27k for color exterior. Is the sunrise worth that much more? I'm in Dallas if that makes any difference. Thanks!

-Gitesh

Randy

#4 Post by Randy »

I prefer thermally-broken aluminum to vinyl. They will not meet the Energy Star guidelines and they may not meet the code requirements in some municipalities, but they offer great heat resistance & longevity, along with narrow frames. In Houston, it’s a no-brainer for me. DFW does get some cold weather though, so be aware that the aluminum windows may condensate a bit when you get rapid drops in temperature.

DFW Gal

#5 Post by DFW Gal »

gitesh, I'm following your thread.

The Pro's here are awesome.

I'm in DFW and have a thread going too. I mistakenly posted it under the Window Review section titled 'Which Replacement Windows for N TX?'

Let me know if you find out the NT Twinsulator TBA (Thermal break Aluminum) Energy Star ratings. I have not been able to find their energy ratings info.

The DY TBAs, to me also, are better looking than the NT TBAs but the DYs don't meet code here as off by .03 in the UF factor so would fail a permit. So far I'm hesitant to go unpermitted as a permit will allow me to add the value into my house updates but I'm torn because I prefer TBAs for harsh west sun. See my thread for more info on all this.

I have 28 windows and my Sunrise quote for SHs and arched picture, is $20K. Sandstone exterior. White interior.
guaranteed for lifetime for their 3 basic colors (white, tan and sandstone)

Whom did you get your Sunrise from? I'm happy to give you my Sunrise Dealer person.
Seems very good.
Very responsive.

gitesh72

#6 Post by gitesh72 »

DFWgal,
you make a good point about required window ratings, I can't believe I didn't even think about that. NT twinsulator is rated at u=.29 sghc=.21, so they meet iecc requirements. Are you in Dallas? I can't find any info that dallas requires energy star rated windows. So it seems DY is no longer a valid option for me. I think i'm going with the NT windows.

ps. we got our sunrise quote from statewide, it was for the restorations series.

-Gitesh

DFW Gal

#7 Post by DFW Gal »

Hi gitesh,

I am in Dallas County and City of Dallas and I got this from someone at the City who gave me this link stating they follow IECC 2015.

http://www.texaswindowsinitiative.com/c ... 15IECC.pdf

I also checked w several adjoing cities and these say they also follow same: Addison, Carrollton, Coppel, Farmers Branch.

Not sure if I can post this here:
I got my Sunrise dealer thru the Sunrise website where I asked to be contacted and the site set me up w
American Replacement Windows. Mike Brewer.
He gave me his permission to post this info.
He's diligent and attentive. Offers addresses to drive by to see his installtions.
I read here that caulking is important so I asked him and he does not use caulk in installation saying he gets his measurements tight enough, so not needed.
He sells NT as well. I did not yet ask him on NT TBAs.
I did get a quote from him on a NT vinyl, can't recall which series.
I much prefer the slimmer profile of Sunrise Vinyl.
Mike cannot sell the Restoration and is complimentary on them.
He says he sells the same except:
1) no vertical sash fiberglass reinforcement but does have the horizontal fiberglass sash reinforcement.
2) The Restoration tilt in mechanism is different.

I'm torn bc I have large west facing windows and I'm concerned the vinyl, over time will bow in the summer heat where TBAs will not.

I'm having enough work done on my house that definitely requires permits so I've been warned to get all permits bc when inspectors are out, they''ll catch what isn't.
Also if neighbors etc are undergoing updates and inspectors come by for those, can notice surrounding updates and can see no big permit sticker in the windows.

I'll next look at the NT TBAs

gitesh72

#8 Post by gitesh72 »

In your case you are better off making sure you meet code. we are only replacing windows so I don't believe dallas requires a permit from what i've read. I still want to meet the minimums, but am not as concerned if we were doing other work which would require permits. good luck!

ps. on the NT tba, i'm getting different information from their website which would be iecc min, and from the window dealer whose numbers were slightly higher, not meeting the .35 u factor.

TheWindowNerd

#9 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Y'all should listen to Randy.
Large vinyl windows in hot climates is asking for trouble, add exterior color to that and you for sure will have a problem.
Look at TBA or fiberglass.

theWindowNerd.com

Randy

#10 Post by Randy »

This is another example of government interference in our lives. Homeowners who are paying the full cost of their windows (without a grant or tax deduction) should be free to put in whatever they want to pay for without the government interfering.

Vinyl windows can be problematic in extremely hot environments, and the larger the window, the more issues are likely to occur. Thermally-broken aluminum windows don't have a problem with the heat, but they do require a sacrifice on U-Value - and many homeowners are willing to make that sacrifice for longer term durability and strength. Unfortunately, many municipalities are not willing to allow consumers to make the choice for themselves, and that's a shame.

gitesh72

#11 Post by gitesh72 »

I agree Randy. I'm installing windows that are much more energy efficient than what I currently have. I shouldn't have to go above and beyond my budget, unless the city is going to reimburse me the difference.

DFW Gal

#12 Post by DFW Gal »

gitesh,

Here is NT Twinsulator company data w energy ratings within:
https://ntwindow.com/wp-content/uploads ... -final.pdf

Pros,
I noticed SUNRISE WINDOW AND NT WINDOW have the EXACT SAME WEBSITE in look, flow and operation.
Can't be a coincidence. Are they owned by same parent company?
Anybody know?

Agree w you all on permits
How have you handled permit issues of any kind?
Just heard from another window installer that during install, city caught them.
Install stopped while someone went to City for a permit and received one in a day.
Had the windows not met energy code, City would have refused to allow and client would have paid $16K twice - once for non permitted now unusable windows and again for new code meeting windows.

toddinmn

#13 Post by toddinmn »

I would consider asking for permission to use the aluminum, make your case and see what happens.

tdwindowr

#14 Post by tdwindowr »

@gitesh72, can you share your experience, quotes and the product chosen for the project?