Best option in southwest Houston Texas

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
TexanLady

Best option in southwest Houston Texas

#1 Post by TexanLady »

I am evaluating the best option between cost, product, and installation for a replacement project for five windows and two sliding doors in my 40-year-old one-floor house. The summer is sweltering and scorching in Houston, and I want to spend a reasonable price for this improvement project. According to solar heat, temperature, and humidity, what are minimum specifications and requirements for the new windows and doors?
I need to contact good quality window replacement companies in this area. Thanks.

toddinmn

Re: Best option in southwest Houston Texas

#2 Post by toddinmn »

Don Young Aluminum windows might be a viable choice. You would want a window with a low solar heat gain somewhere in the low 0.20 range.

toddinmn

#3 Post by toddinmn »

toddinmn wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 1:09 pm Don Young Aluminum windows might be a viable choice. You would want a window with a low solar heat gain somewhere in the low 0.20 range.
I am not sure if these windows meet the energy requirements for the state of Texas due to there higher U value ratings. Randy is the expert on Texas on this forum, perhaps he will chime in.

Randy

#4 Post by Randy »

While I am a big fan of thermally-broken aluminum windows, the government is making them more difficult to use due to a short-sighted approach to overall home efficiency. To comply with code requirements, you very well may have to go with vinyl or composite window frames.

For premium vinyl, Sunrise and Okna are both available in Houston.