Negotiation required for replacement windows?

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
windowNoob2020

Negotiation required for replacement windows?

#1 Post by windowNoob2020 »

Is it standard operating procedure to negotiate prices after the first quote? I got a quote from my local Sunrise installer, but it seems like it is high. Here are the details:

3 full-frame replacements, 2 of which will have 2 equal width, for a total of 5 double-hung Sunrise Verde windows.
2 Sunrise sliding patio doors
Initial bid: $16,200

Is there a lot of room to move down in this estimate?

Delaware Mike

Re: Negotiation required for replacement windows?

#2 Post by Delaware Mike »

Did this dealer send out a sales rep, or was it an owner/operator? Did they show you higher price than that as their "normal" pricing and then come up with all kinds of "day of demo" discounts to come to that price?

toddinmn

#3 Post by toddinmn »

All the answers are yes.
I would get some other bids as well.

Tadcrazio

#4 Post by Tadcrazio »

windowNoob2020 wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:43 pm Is it standard operating procedure to negotiate prices after the first quote? I got a quote from my local Sunrise installer, but it seems like it is high. Here are the details:

3 full-frame replacements, 2 of which will have 2 equal width, for a total of 5 double-hung Sunrise Verde windows.
2 Sunrise sliding patio doors
Initial bid: $16,200

Is there a lot of room to move down in this estimate?
FWIW - 11 Double hung of mostly different sizes from large to small, to 1 picture window and no sliding patio doors. My quote was $9200. We "negotiated" down to $9000 with offset glass.

windowNoob2020

#5 Post by windowNoob2020 »

Thanks all for your replies. I have been getting some clarifications from my sales rep:

- The quote is for the Sunrise Standard line
- The installed price quoted was about $2000 for a small double hung and $3000 for larger openings with 2 double hung windows per opening.
- Sliding Patio doors were quoted at $5000 each, installed
- There was a 17% discount applied to those prices, but no other "Act today and i can give you another discount" nonsense.

I appreciate the feedback - I'll get other bids for comparison.

HomeSealed

#6 Post by HomeSealed »

windowNoob2020 wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:14 am I'll get other bids for comparison.
BINGO! That's key...

I agree with the others that it sounds high, especially for standard Sunrise. How much room do they have to negotiate? There are a million and one factors there. If they are a very large company, there may be less room than you may think, but I'm guessing that they could do better. Either way, get another quote or two for comparison until you find one that you feel good about.

windowNoob2020

#7 Post by windowNoob2020 »

Thanks to everyone for all your feedback - it was invaluable. Based on the posts here, I went to the Sunrise website and put in a request to the manufacturer for installers in the area, and specifically that I was looking for another quote to compare to the first one.

Within an hour, I got a call from another dealer, Window and Door Superstore in Oak Forest, IL. Their bid was significantly better, and I got a much better feeling from talking to them. Their quote, for Sunrise Vanguard, was about $3k lower than the bid from my original company, Next Door and Window for standard Sunrise windows. I was able to add 3 more windows, and still came in at about the same price as the original bid

I haven't pulled the trigger just yet, but I feel much better about the process than I did after my first post. Thanks again to everyone.

TheWindowNerd

#8 Post by TheWindowNerd »

We negotiate little. There is little fat in our offerings.
We also stay on point with lower overhead.

theWindowNerd.com