Help with window questions

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
Lynchburgva

Help with window questions

#1 Post by Lynchburgva »

New to the site and hoping you guys can help me out with a couple questions and deciphering some quotes we have received.

We are looking to replace 15 double hung and 1 picture window in our 1961 house. We are planning to go with a painted exterior vinyl window so we can match our exterior trim but still have a white interior. My questions are:

- are these 2 color windows a good option? Does the color hold up?
- how much stock should I put into the warranty, particularly concerning the paint? (One of the companies offers a 20 warranty as opposed to 10 from the others)

Here are the quotes;
Window world 4000- $10570
Norandex perfection platinum- $9,400
Harvey Classic- $11,879
West Edge- $10,000
Vinyl design MountainView- $8,659
Polaris ThermalWeld- $13,280

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Windows on Washington

Re: Help with window questions

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Answers to questions:
- The color does seem to hold up really well. We have some +15 year old painted windows that are still looking great.
- Not familiar with a couple of brands on that list (West Edge or Vinyl Design MountainView). I would avoid that WW option and I am not sure what Norandex is selling these days. I thought they were closed, but they must have re-opened their doors in selected locations.

Can you take a peak at a Soft-Lite or Sunrise option near you?

What color is the exterior trim on the home? If its not a vastly dark color, capping the trim will normally create a nice buffer between the white of the window and the trim color.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#3 Post by masterext »

Great advice from the gentleman above. Those prices seem low for an exterior color but then again those products arent exactly what we would call top tier or anything close. I would look into soft lite, okna, or sunrise.
If you are in virginia, i would at least reach out to windows on washington and see if they cover your area. The owner Eric is a great guy and runs a very honest business. I would be remiss in not mentioning that.
You may be able to click on his name” windows on washington” and arrange for him or someone from his office to contact you for a free quote.

Lynchburgva

#4 Post by Lynchburgva »

Thanks so much for the quick responses! The installer who quoted me the Norandex windows told me they are Simonton windows, but through a distribution agreement with ABC Supply they are able to sell them with the Norandex name on them. I’ve seen elsewhere online that they are compared to the Simonton 5500?

As for the trim color, it is a clay color or a slightly darker tan. We really like the look of uniform color on the outside and inside, but I know there is a premium for that look and I want to be sure it lasts.

I’ll certainly reach out and see if windows on Washington can help us out.

Randy

#5 Post by Randy »

That is correct; Norandex is private labeling the Simonton window and the platinum is the 5500.

I would agree with the recommendation to contact Windows on Washington. Great company all around.

Lynchburgva

#6 Post by Lynchburgva »

I reached out and quickly got a call back that I am unfortunately out of their service area.

Any thoughts on the Simonton 5500 windows?

Randy

#7 Post by Randy »

It's an average window with an outdated design and middle of the road performance numbers. You could do worse, but there are probably much better options in your area at a reasonable price (Soft-lite, Sunrise, Okna, Kensington). I'd try looking for a dealer of those products first.

HomeSealed

#8 Post by HomeSealed »

Not sure about Westedge, but of the others, the Polaris TW is the only product that I'd consider on that list. Its a nice window and despite being the highest price of this group, that price is pretty decent for a painted exterior, quality window with a basic install.

The Simonton is not a terrible window, but its dated and bulky at this point. The bigger red flag here is that you have a guy buying though a supply house (indicating that he does not have the volume, credit, reputation, or knowledge to buy windows direct from a manufacturer.) For him to be LESS than window world on top of it?! Yikes... Especially in the current state of our industry where small contractors are dropping like files. Red flags galore on that option, I'd move on.

Again, the Polaris option is solid, and the other recommendations of Softlite, Okna, and Sunrise are very good as well. Look for a reputable, local company that has been around for a bit and that carries a great product. That will increase your odds for a good finished product and someone to stand behind it in the future... It is a shame that WoW doesn't service your area, they don't come better than that group over there.

Windows on Washington

#9 Post by Windows on Washington »

Sorry we aren't quite that far down near you yet. Harrisburg we can cover, but Lynchburg is a good clip past there. I agree with HomeSealed on the list that you have currently. The Polaris product is the best of that line up. The Norandex (i.e. Simonton) is just "OK" as Randy mentioned. See if you can track down a Soft-Lite product or Sunrise.

Lynchburgva

#10 Post by Lynchburgva »

Thanks so much for all the help sorting through this. A quick update, I received a quote from the nearest soft lite dealer but unfortunately they are a couple hours away and their bid reflected the extra labor required.

I also received a couple quotes from Zen windows:
Lotus double pane- $12,920
Nirvana- $12,280

Finally, the company that installs Polaris has offered to drop their price slightly, to $12,500.

Windows on Washington

#11 Post by Windows on Washington »

I still like the Polaris in that 3 horse race.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#12 Post by masterext »

I am assuming this is replacement windows not new construction with new trim?

Lynchburgva

#13 Post by Lynchburgva »

That is correct, replacement windows.

uncle eddie

#14 Post by uncle eddie »

The other guys are giving good advice. Sounds like that ploaris window is your best option. The low end Softlie windows that Zen sells are fine, but the bigger issue is zen itself in my opinion. These are little franchise shops that from what I've seen are not run by industry professionals. They are guys that sold their papa john's franchise or quit their job programming computers because they think that there is a high profit margin in windows. Ironically, they then sell at cut margins. What they fail to realize is that people don't come back to you about a bad pizza or sub sandwhich 10 years down the road, but homeowners that bought windows do. I think that we'll see these places boarding up in the coming years, or maybe even now with this pandemic situation. Just my opinion of course.